Vegan discussion

McDougall?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy HI! Anyone out there follow Dr. John Mcdougall diet plan?

message 2: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Hi, Wendy!

My husband and I do! :-) I attended his 10 day live-in program in October ('07) because of my MS. Been vegan since Aug 2000, but eliminating the added fats seems to be making a remarkable difference!

I JUST joined so haven't had time to fill out my profile yet, but was so enthralled that someone was asking this question I had to respond. :-)

Laurie

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy WOW! What was the live-in like?
Do you have any favorite recipes to share?

We really love the slowcooker beans and I eat a ton of baked potatoes!

I would really love to attend a seminar. Being newlyweds hoping to purchase our 1st home soon we can't justify going right now.

message 4: by Laloofah (new)

Oh, the live-in was just amazing! I had some trepidation about spending the $$ to go, thinking that as a long-time vegan, reader of Dr. McD's books and subscriber to his newsletter, there wouldn't be enough new info at the live-in to justify the expense. (I mostly went to consult with him about my MS.) But my fears were unfounded and it was well worth the money spent and then some! If/when you can afford to go, I think you would really enjoy it. If you want to ask me anything about it specifically, feel free.

They fed us till we thought we would BUST, and all the food was great, but yes - I do indeed have several McDougall favorites! Do you want me to just list them by name or do you want the links to the newsletters in which they appear? (Some of them are in the McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook, which they gave each of us a copy of. Do you have that one? I'm thinking you do!)

Do you know about FatFreeVegan?
(I don't know if html is allowed in posts here, so in case my hyperlink didn't work, here's the URL...

http://www.fatfreevegan.com

Congratulations and best wishes on your marriage and good luck with your first home purchase! :-)

Enjoy your day, Wendy!

message 5: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments LOL... okay, so now I know how to share links here. That was interesting! ;-)

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy A list by name of favorites is fine. I will do the leg work to look them up! Right now I have Mcdougall's medicine and Maximum weightloss. The rest are at the local library.

I have been to that site it is fantastic.

Were you a vegan before Mcdougall? There are not many of us out there!

It's exciting to come accross someone who is into mcdougall/vegan. Rare find!

I am a vegan for ethical reason, my husband is a vegan for health reasons and we both need to loose weight hence-maximum weight loss. But I recently have been eating too much white rice and soymilk which is contaminating my progress!

Thanks! Wendy

message 7: by Laloofah (last edited Feb 06, 2008 05:08PM) (new)

I'll post a list in the next couple of days. I need to dig out the list they gave us of all the food we were served while there (and the exact dish names), plus gather the names of the ones I've tried since "Camp McDougall!" :-)
Not all will be on the MWLP, but I'll let you sort them out if that's all right with you!

I know, it is a coinkydink to find a vegan McDougaller! Oddly enough, though, I found one on Care2 within days of finding you!

How long have you and your husband been vegan, and what was your inspiration? (And yay for you both!) We went vegan in Aug 2000 and didn't start the McDougall program till Oct 2007. But our diet has steadily improved from the early days when we ate a lot of meat & cheese analogs and fried a lot. We were already eating mostly whole foods when I went to Santa Rosa, so mainly we were just needing to give up the added fats. (I'm of Italian decent, and tried really hard to convince Dr. McD that olive oil was required by my DNA, but he wasn't buyin'. LOL) We originally went vegan because of my MS, but it didn't take long at all to learn about ALL the reasons for being vegan, so now when someone asks me why I'm vegan I tell them "For the animals, the earth, my health, the world's hungry and exploited... and because there's no reason not to be!" :-)

Talk to you soon!
Laurie

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jake went vegan 2 years ago -before we started dating- to loose weight and reduce his risk of heart disease.
I have been a vegan about a year and a half. (Lacto-ovo veg for 3 years before that.) I started down this path because one day I realized it was not okay to eat a chicken and not my cat. (Completely from the animal rights side) I knew I ultimately wanted to be a vegan but didn't think I had the will power. Once Jake and I started dating it was a lot easier. Now like you said, I cannot think of a valid reason to live any differently. I don't want to be overweight and diseased so I don't eat animals or byproducts.
I recommend "The China Study"--if you haven't already GET IT! It's new material to proselytize with! And there is a blurb about Mcdougall.

I look forward to your recipe suggestions! Wendy

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy hahaha! I just saw your post about "The China Study!" It is the best.

Also, this AR group I am with is hosting a free showing of MadCowboy this tuesday...if only we lived a little closer!

message 10: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Hi, Wendy, happy Friday!

LOL... oh yes, long time fan of Dr. Campbell & "The China Study." :-)

Enjoy the MadCowboy screening! And indeed, if only we lived a little closer! :-)

Here is the list of some of our favorite McDougall dishes w/recipe locations & notes (holler if you have questions!):

Potato Chowder (Q&E Cookbook)
Slow Chipotle Black Bean Soup (Oct 2008 N/L)
Quick Black Bean Soup (Apr 2004 N/L)
Quinoa Chowder (Nov 2006 N/L)
Minestrone Soup (Jan 2004 N/L)
Tomato Basil Soup (Jun 2002 N/L)
Mushroom Barley Soup (Apr 2005 N/L)
Tofu Tacos (w/Cilantro-Garlic Aioli) (Apr 2006 N/L)
Bean & Corn Enchiladas (Aug 2005 N/L - New Recipe)
McVeggie Burgers (takes a while, but makes a LOT so you can freeze 'em!) (Mar 2006 N/L: she has updated the recipe)
Veggies Benedict (the sauce is great on cauliflower, broccoli & asparagus, too!) (May 2003 N/L)
Fluffy Pancakes (Jun 2005 N/L)
White Bean Spread (Q&E Cookbook)
White Bean Chili (Jul 2005 N/L)
Wicked Mushrooms (Mar 2005 N/L)
Garden Pasta Salad (Q&E Cookbook)
Quinoa Garden Salad (Jan 2005 N/L)
Barbequed Bean Salad (Sept 2002 N/L)
Spinach Vegetable Salad (Weight Loss Cookbook)
Eggless Egg Salad (Q&E Cookbook)
Thai Noodles (May 2004 N/L)
Grilled Portabello Mushrooms (w/soy sauce instead of Balsamic Vinegar) (Q&E Cookbook)
Mashed Potatoes (Q&E Cookbook) w/Marsala Mushroom Sauce (Dec 2004 N/L)
Golden Gravy (Oct 2003 N/L)
Roasted Potatoes (Jul 2002 N/L, use less cayenne)
Curried Red Lentil Salad (May 2005 N/L)
Brownies (Jun 2004 N/L)
Chocolate Decadence Pudding (Feb 2002 N/L)

Bon appetít! :-)

message 11: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments For anyone who happens by who isn't familiar with Dr. McDougall and his web site, but whose curiosity or appetite are now piqued, here's the link to the newsletter and recipe archives (you can visit the rest of his web site from here easily)...

http://drmcdougall.com/newsletter/arc...

Have a great weekend!

message 12: by Rift (new)

Rift Vegan (riftvegan) | 2 comments
I've copied down the brownie recipe... "mix and bake" looks like it's easy enough for me to try out. I'll sub out the Wonderslim stuff for apple sauce tho.

Noticed on the McVeggie Burgers, if you don't have a nonstick pan you get to "lightly oil" the pan. Isn't this a McDougall desecration???! ;)

Happy Vegan Kitchen Things!

message 13: by Laloofah (last edited Feb 09, 2008 12:11PM) (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Hey, rift!

I haven't made these brownies yet (just hoovered them up at Camp McDougall, lol), but applesauce should work fine. That's what I use in lieu of oil in VwaV's Banana Split Pudding Brownies. But you could also use a VERY ripe banana, or - and this works great in anything chocolatey as a margarine sub - the pureed prune/fruit concoction (like Wonderslim). Wonderslim is hard to find and a bit pricey, though all the vegan chefs at Camp McD said it's the best, but you can also try to find Sunsweet's "Lighter Bake" (available in some regular grocery stores for about $2 a jar), or you can make your own. (I know I sent you this, but will post it here for anyone else who might want it!)

Fat substitutes in vegan baking (including homemade prune purée):
http://www.fatfreevegan.com/condiment...

And yeah, seldom will you find a McDougall recipe that calls for any pan-oiling heresy, but when they say "lightly" they do mean LIGHTLY. No spraying, that puts way too much oil on a pan. Just a few drops on a paper towel rubbed around the pan will do it. You can line the pan with unbleached parchment paper instead of oiling it, also. But I use a square silicone (Silicone Zone) cake pan for brownies and it works great. No oiling necessary! (Just make sure you put the pan on a baking sheet before putting in the batter, 'cause those silicone pans are floppy when full!) :-)

Hope you enjoy the brownies! What time should Wendy and I come over? LOL!

message 14: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments By the way, since you love "easy," you can't get much easier than the Slow Chipotle Black Bean Soup. All you have to chop is the garlic and onion, and you just dump everything in the crockpot. And it's sooooo gooooood...

I like a dollop of my own homemade vegan sour cream in my serving, along with fresh cilantro. Yum!

Just don't make the mistake I once did of using a can of diced jalapeños instead of diced green chilis! In case you aren't aware, there IS a difference! (Of about 8000 degrees F!) Yow.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments I stumbled across this while looking for the McD Burgers as I loaned my Starch Solution book to a Neighbor! I thouroughly enjoyed reading it and want ALL the recipes LOL. BEEN PKAYING WITH VEGAN FIR ABOUT A YEAE, super seriously for about a month and started the starch solution about two weeks ago. So far I haves lived all of the recipes in the book.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Ok typing way too fast, sorry for those typos :0)

message 17: by Milena (new)

Milena Vanzuiden | 1 comments Hello, I stumbled onto this page after researching reviews on the McDougall 10-Day Live-In Program. I also have MS and would really like to hear how you have been doing Laloofa since you attended the 10 day live-in program. Thanks!

message 18: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Hi, Milena!
I'm sorry to hear you too have MS, and am happy to answer your question and offer any other help that I can. I'm doing great since attending "Camp McDougall!" Not a single exacerbation/symptom since. No colds or flu either, and my eye doctor always says we both have the healthy eyes of much younger people (esp. important to me since optic neuritis was my first MS symptom) and attributes it to our diet. I'll be marking the 20th anniversary of my MS diagnosis in November, and people are incredulous that I have it, never mind for that long. I know attending the clinic is a pricey proposition, but if you can manage it I highly recommend it. It's made a big difference with the MS and our general health and energy levels, and as you could see in my earlier comments, it was interesting, informative, inspiring and a blast as well, all in a really beautiful place. :-) Let me know if you have any specific questions I haven't addressed in my comments so far.
Laurie

message 19: by Laloofah (new)

Laloofah | 12 comments Milena ~
I'm sure you probably receive Dr. McDougall's newsletter, but just in case (and for anyone else who may be interested in this topic), I wanted to be sure you saw the latest star McDougaller!: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014s...