Book Excerpts discussion

Dreams in the Womb
This topic is about Dreams in the Womb
"Forgive Me for Dreaming" - prose from Dreams in the Womb, by Brandon Gene Petit

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (last edited Aug 22, 2013 06:05AM) (new)

Brandon | 8 comments "Forgive Me for Dreaming"

In a restless attempt at sleep my thoughts drift to that small, tucked away neighborhood where she carried out her womanly days… though I know not whether that is still her place of residence. A drizzle of rain now falls there in silence, just as it paints my bedroom window with the slightest of sound. An aura of glowing mist flurries around each lonely streetlight, and black streets glisten with moisture as they dip and bend in a secluded arena. Houses sleep with their ambient doorways and moth-haunted porches, like lantern-studded cottages in a quiet yet luxurious nook. An elfin bridge arches over the creek, and though I forget which house is hers I am sure it is somewhere shortly beyond this quaint spectacle.

My disembodied sight scans the glossy pavement, until I come to a numbered curb that sparks memories pleasant in their intention but sorrowful in their remoteness. I lift my head to the porch and in moments her image is realized before me, safe from the rain that seems partial to my presence in contrast. I can see her shadow in the open doorway, blocking the foyer with her shapely silhouette… one leg extended, the other knee bent; an arm above her head as she tilts her head back to let her hair caress the frame of the archway. An audacious step closer reveals green eyes glistening like the eyes of a billionaire’s bride… billowing plumes of fine brown hair spilling over her shoulders and blood-red wool hugging her curves… and tanned and freckled legs rooted in bold, black stockings that engrave her sultry stance.

Beyond her glow the culinary aromas of her Italian heritage, permeating from the kitchen where her disapproving mother bustles in earthy backsplash lights. My voiceless woman tempts me, though her family ties forbid me from entering her domain. Why must every teasing dream imitate life in its abstinence from attainable pleasure, and end face down on a cold pillow in a room heavy with destiny’s reasons? And why must every woman in her prime be guarded by a vigilant father figure… a man hell-bent on keeping his blood from crossing rivers with mine?

The music calls her name, even when it is not playing. The warm hands of God have not shaped a more viable temptress from the plumes of creation’s smoke, and when she is set in motion she incites more unrest in the heart than she does in the vacuum of my mind. A woman such as her has been designed solely for worship from afar, and I am doomed to remain a student of the cruel lessons that encircle her aforementioned beauty. She belongs in her throne of eugenic riches even more than she belongs in my open-eye fantasy… I am no knight to rescue her from a world she need not be saved from.

- Taken from "Forgive Me for Dreaming", Dreams in the Womb, (c) 2012-2013 Brandon Gene Petit

Dreams in the Womb
Brandon Gene Petit
www.bgpetit.wordpress.com

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 8 comments Like most of my poems and prose pieces, I did not write this "to" or "about" anybody, directly... though I had a specific muse in mind to use for inspiration in creating the images and background for the piece.

I thought of the most gorgeous Italian girl I've ever met, and described her as best as I could in the center of the narrative. I also included the idea of her wealthy background and her protective father, which all seem to go hand in hand... almost in danger of becoming cliché... but it worked well for the piece.

message 3: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 8 comments With that being said, I want to ask a question to some of you about your writing... whether in prose or in poetry.

Do you often combine elements of real life with fiction in your writing? Most of us do... but if so, how does the balance pan out according to your preference?

Do you find yourself often more inspired by real life events, or is reality only the tip of the iceberg when you describe fictional events and scenarios?