Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows question

Harry A Horcrux... I Found Some Potential Flaws
Maddie Maddie Aug 22, 2013 12:54AM
So Harry has been a Horcrux since he was a baby and Vol--He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named tried to kill him, but a fragment of his soul latched onto Harry. Two Questions:
1. I thought it took a spell to create a Horcrux.... But all He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did was try to kill Harry and have the spell rebound back upon him... So wouldn't that just make He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named die? Unless his original spell was to create a Horcrux out of Harry and then go find Neville and kill him, because he was the other chosen one? So maybe Peter Pettigrew wasn't trying to do any harm because Voldemort really wasn't planning on killing Lily, James, or Harry after all, Harry's parents just ended up getting in the way and making things difficult for He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named...
Question 2. If Harry really as a Horcrux... Shouldn't he have died when he touched the edge of the Gryffindor Sword? The only explanation I can find for this is that the sword never in fact cut Harry, he simply touched it...
Which also leaves me to wonder if the whole series could have been resolved a lot faster if Fawkes had never cried on Harry's arm, therefore leaving Harry to be taken over by the Basilisk venom and not really dying but simply having the piece of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's soul leave him, so Dumbledore would have to tell him about He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's plan and about the Horcruxes, giving Harry a head start on his hunt for Horcruxes, meaning he would never get sidetracked by the Deathly Hallows and also leaving him without the worry at the end of the book so he could just go fight He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named without having his friends try and protect Hogwarts so that many characters would not be dead anymore... [R.I.P. Fred <3]

I'm not going to say that there are no flaws in the series. I think I found some, but I haven't read them for a long time, so I forget exactly what they were.
But I don't think these things are flaws. We're not specifically told what the spell was to create a horcrux and we don't know what Voldemort chose as the 7th. All we know is that he intended to create a 7th horcrux, that doing so required someone to die, and that he intended to kill Harry.
I'm guessing he had some object in mind when he went to kill Harry. So he probably was casting the spell to do it.

However, it could have just been a glitch from when Lily sacrificed herself for him.
As we know, the curse was meant to kill Harry, but when you add in the 'countercurse' of Lily's protection, you could have a number of different outcomes. In this case, it bounced back to Voldemort. But he didn't have an entire soul to destroy. He already preserved 6/7th of it. So he couldn't actually die. But his body couldn't really hold the last part of his soul either, so logically, it had to jump somewhere else - somewhere living. Harry was the only living thing around.

But really, in a world where literally anything is possible, there could be a ton of ways to explain this.

"Shouldn't he have died when he touched the edge of the Gryffindor Sword?"

I don't remember Harry touching the blade of the sword. It would have had to actually be the blade since that was the part that was infused with the venom.
He used the sword, but it was never used on him. I don't think that the sword simply touching a horcrux would destroy it. It had to actually be used against it.
If you think about the basilisk venom, it wouldn't have mattered if it just touched Harry(or anyone). It only would have killed him once it was injected in him.

" the whole series could have been resolved a lot faster if Fawkes had never cried on Harry's arm, therefore ..."

In that case, Harry would have died along with that part of Voldemort's soul. The only reason he didn't die at the end was because he willingly sacrificed himself. That, and the fact that Voldemort was the one to try to kill him with the curse.
Also, the venom would still have been in his body, so once it was potent enough to kill the part of Voldemort, there'd be no saving whatever was left of Harry.

But even if what you are saying is correct, I don't know that the horcruxes would have been destroyed at all.
Supposing that it happened like that - that the horcrux part of Harry was destroyed and that Dumbledore got a jump start on them - things still would have progressed pretty similarly. Dumbledore still would have tried to use the ring, cursing himself and having to die, and Harry still would have been left to hunt down the rest of them.
Harry had alot of "luck" since he had that connection to Voldemort. For example, when the wand acted independently to save him as he was fleeing in the beginning of Deathly Hallows. Also, being able to track Voldemort's feelings through their connection.

There's no way he would have been able to survive, let alone get to all the horcruxes before Voldemort. He wouldn't have even known where to look for the last one since he got the location from that connection.

And of course, if they hadnt been destroyed when they were, many more people would have died.

That's true, but then we'd lose a really great story... D:

The only way to destroy the horcrux in Harry was to kill Harry. A horcrux can only be destroyed by destroying it's container beyond magical repair. For a human being, that means death. The basilisk venom would have destroyed the horcrux, but also killed Harry, if Faux hadn't intervened.

He survived at the end because Voldemort took some of his blood (his mother's blood) for his resurrection. This tied him to life while Voldemort lives. I'm wondering if anything could have killed him after that. But that wasn't until he was 14. If the basilisk had killed him when he was 12 it'd be game over.

deleted member Sep 07, 2013 04:59PM   0 votes
NO NO NO, AS HARRY SAYS IN THE DEATHLY HAWLLOWS, THE PHEONIX TEARS HEALED HIM DURRR

Rosie (last edited Aug 24, 2013 06:41AM ) Aug 22, 2013 07:58PM   0 votes
The process of creating a horcrux will be revealed in the Harry Potter encyclopaedia but I'm not sure of the release date.
To create any horcrux he would have to of killed someone, Voldemort killed his father in order to make Marvolo Gaunt's ring a horcrux.
He went to kill Harry, not because he wanted to create another horcrux, but because of the prophecy that said that either Neville or Harry (he chose Harry as his equal unknowingly, Snape had only heard part of the prophecy if Voldemort knew all of it he might have never of gone after Harry, Harry became the chosen one because Voldemort chose him over Neville) would be the one to kill him so Voldemort wanted to destroy Harry before Harry had the chance to kill him.
Harry was a half blood like Voldemort so that might of been the reason he thought Harry would be the one to kill him, I'm not sure though.
The reason Harry became a horcrux was indeed a mistake, and yeah Kristen is right.
When he tried to kill Harry the curse backfired due to his mother's sacrifice. Voldemort's body was destroyed, the remaining piece of his soul latched onto the only living thing in the room and that was Harry it could not have latched onto another object as the steps to make a horcrux which I'm sure will be listed in the encyclopaedia were not done.
And yeah, the reason why Harry did not die is very well explained by Julia. His mother's sacrifice was in Harry's blood when it was used to resurrect Voldemort, that sacrifice was in the blood that then flowed through Voldemort basically tying him to life like Julia said.
If he had died at twelve the horcrux would have been destroyed but Harry would have also died.
Its like four in the morning when I wrote this and I have yet to sleep so I apologize if there is any grammatical mistakes or any book related mistakes.
I hope this helps you :)

Kristen Maddie, I think it was more of an oversight by the movie people, actually. They really don't make a big deal about it in the movies, but Voldemort was ...more
Aug 30, 2013 02:04PM
Rosie Okay, yeah I'm not entirely certain the website is thoroughly correct. None taken. Anyway, I guess that's all there is to say on the matter so I hope ...more
Aug 30, 2013 02:10PM

Well put!