Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > The character that most resembles...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
how you imagined them in the book in the film adaptation. You don't have to even like the movie or the character, or the book might be vastly different in the overall movie. But was the character like your own imagination?

Mine is Treebeard.

Although he didn't look the same as I imagined, I think his voice was eerily close to how I heard it in my head. (Other than Alan Rickman's Snape which is a no mention :p)

(there were too many that I didn't like to list haha)

What's yours? And are they you're most favourite character ever? Or did it spoil the movie that they weren't?

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Your mention of Harry Potter makes me think Dumbledore, which is even weirder since the actor changed in the middle of the film series.

(Conversely, mentioning HP reminds me of how annoyed I was that the early films (is it 2?) takes the boys' midnight detention with Neville and swaps Neville for Hermione. It irritates me greatly that Neville is never given the opportunity to grow and become a hero that he gets in the book.)

Also, the Lady Jessica in David Lynch's Dune is perfect.

message 3: by Bisky (new)

I think the same thing about Ginny! They left so much out that their relationship didn't really have the same impact for me :x

And Yessssssss :D I love Dune!

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Mooney (kenmooney) Good, cos I'm just about to mention it in one of your other threads :P

message 5: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) I couldn't agree with you more Ken, but we both know the reason they made the changes...profit, don't you think so? If they thought using a monkey in the place of Neville or even Harry would of made 'em more money, they would have used the monkey.

message 6: by Teryn (new)

Teryn | 2 comments I think they did a good job casting Lord of the Rings--except Frodo, who was WAAAY too young. But I LOVED Sam, Pippin, Merry, Aragorn, Legolas. And yes, Treebeard was very good. I also liked Eowyn.
I thought Jennifer Lawrence did a good job with The Hunger Games, even though the movie wasn't amazing.
They did a good job with the newest The Great Gatsby that came out this summer. All the actors sis a good job capturing their characters and what they looked like in my mind.
Other than that, though, I usually don't think the movies are as good as the books!! It annoys me that once I see the movie, it's harder to picture the character as I used to picture them. : /

message 7: by Bisky (new)

Oh but I like that about movies sometimes :3 However I still see hermione as I did in the books. Rupert grint made Ron his own. I like it when actors do that :D

message 8: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) For me it's best that I see the movie after I read the book. This worked especially well when I read the book The Road by Cormac McCarthy and then see the movie.

message 9: by Bisky (new)

I love that film really want to read the book :3

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The Father in 'the Road' - Cormac Mccarthy. I think casting Vigo Mortensen was a great choice. Wasn't too happy with the casting of the boy though. Or Guy Pearce as the stranger at the end.

message 11: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) Bisky wrote: "I love that film really want to read the book :3"
Bisky, it would be well worth your time to read The Road, it is one of those that really never leaves you, along with No Country For Old Men...a must read for thinkers.

message 12: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) I completely agree Jake, the casting of the father was excellent, and they could have looked a little deeper for a boy more suitable, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and especially the Book. I believe it must be difficult to cast characters to fill the shoes of what was in the authors head.

message 13: by Bisky (new)

My dad said he didn't like the film, but it played into him for about two weeks afterwards about what exactly happened :p He just doesnt want to admit he likes it now :p

message 14: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) How old is your dad Bisky? If he's gettin' up there into his 50's or 60's he might find the movie No Country For Old Men interesting, or All The Pretty Horses was another good one. At least this old guy liked 'em. The books were far better than the movies though.

message 15: by Bisky (new)

Hes alittle younger than that, he didnt like No country :3 He's a mad max fanatic though :]

message 16: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) Bisky wrote: "Hes alittle younger than that, he didnt like No country :3 He's a mad max fanatic though :]"
Mad Max was my favorite film when it first came out. Mad Max had little to do with reality at the time, while No Country is especially attuned to it's time...I liked both concepts.

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I tend to forget how I depict a character after reading the book. Usually what stays with me is the plot and story. Sometimes clever lines stick with me like with Fight Club or Catch 22. When I see the movie, I usually don't link it to the book because it is usually modified or dumbed down and it would really tick me off if I keep thinking about the book. I try to keep the movie and book versions seperate in my mind so I can enjoy them both. Sometimes the movie makes me want to read the book. I recently saw The Counselor and the movie is so intricate and complicated. I really want to read the book now. The only movie that really matched up with the book for me was Fight Club, until I got to the end and it was completely different from the book.

message 18: by Jack Henry (new)

Jack Henry Kraven (goodreadscomjackhenrykraven) Brian, I agree for the most part. I find it interesting how the movie does usually stray from the book, but that does not stop me from liking them both. I just lately watched a movie called Midnight Clear, based on a short story of the same name and now I've ordered the Book to read. I've never seen the movie The Counselor, would you recommend it? I agree though, the movie seldom matches up with the book, I suppose there is a reason for that. My all time favorite book made into a movie was The Blade Runner.

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments I enjoyed The Counselor, but it definitely isn't for everyone. A lot of the events later in the movie are foreshadowed. Sometimes it doesn't even spell out what happened later in the movie like they usually do to dumb it down for movie audiences. Also they drop you into the middle of the story, so you really don't know what is going on until a bit later. Some people are not going to like it because they will spend a large portion of the movie confused and won't pick up on all of the nuances of the plot.