Avid Readers discussion

66 views
Games > Book Nerd Problems

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
These aren't nessessarily problems but there fun to post! Basically this is where we all just comment "book nerd problems" that you find online or come up with yourself.

I came up with this one myself.

When you are clearly reading but people continue to talk to you anyways.


message 2: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 65 comments Mod
this is one I found off the internet,
"that moment when you finish a book, and look around and everyone is carrying on with their lives... as though you just didn't experience emotional trauma at the hands of a paper back"


message 3: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
Haha I saw that quote, too.


message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Elmira001) That moment when you are 5 pages from the end of book. . .and someone calls you away because you have other stuff to do


message 5: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
OMG that happened when I was reading Beautiful Creatures one night! I was literally ON THE LAST PAGE of the book and my friend came to pick me up. NOOOOOOOO!!!!! The print was too small to finish quickly. I had to wait until I came back to finish the book!


message 6: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
When you say you want a book to be a movie, you actually mean you want a 17 hour spectacle with every single detail from the book and for it to be perfectly casted.


message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Elmira001) IKR? When you need the next book in a series, but the library doesn't have it and isn't getting it


message 8: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 65 comments Mod
"my to-be-read pile is taller than you actually are, but I keep buying books and checking out others from the library"


message 9: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
Trying to decide which fictional character to name your kids after.


message 10: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
You refer to characters by there first names in conversations like your actually friends.


message 11: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 65 comments Mod
Omg, I do that all the time


message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments idk if this is a Book Nerd Problem, but I always come up with Names for my Characters in the Stories I read and sometimes I Name another Character the same thing sometimes and don't realize it until later in the Story.


message 13: by L (new)

L A 'nerdgirl problem' is when you laugh out loud at a part in your book, and the sudden horror of when you look up and see everyone stairing at you strangely on the bus/train. As if i am weird?!


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

H99 wrote: "When people think that you're reading a book as a conversation starter."

Ugh! I know what that one is like!! I sometimes forgo a book because I know no one will let me actually read it. They will just want to talk about what I am reading. I don't mind talking about the book I am reading or just read, but not while I am actually trying to read it.


message 15: by L (new)

L Dreaming of unusual libraries and unique shelving!


message 16: by Sophia (new)

Sophia F | 19 comments When you spend all your time trying to finish a certain book because it is so good, and then it either ends on a cliff hanger, or does not answer your questions. :/


message 17: by Sophia (new)

Sophia F | 19 comments When you are called away to do other things while reading.


message 18: by Sophia (new)

Sophia F | 19 comments When you are basically a zombie during the day because you stayed up during the night before reading.


message 19: by lyralester (new)

lyralester | 137 comments Daydreaming at work when you just finished a really awesome book.


message 20: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 1 comments When you hate English class because you could be reading instead


message 21: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 6 comments Owllover wrote: "Trying to decide which fictional character to name your kids after."

And did you or will you do so?
Has anyone else?

(We didn't, perhaps in part because there is not a lot of overlap in what my husband and I read.)


message 22: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
Cecily wrote: "Owllover wrote: "Trying to decide which fictional character to name your kids after."

And did you or will you do so?
Has anyone else?

(We didn't, perhaps in part because there is not a lot of ove..."


Still trying to decide :D


message 23: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 6 comments Even being named after a more ordinary book character than Bilbo can be problematic. My mother was named Valerie Anne, after a book character her mother read about while pregnant. By the time my mother was old enough to know and ask, her mother couldn't remember the book, and to this day, my mother is mildly annoyed at the fact she hasn't been able to work out this little mystery.


message 24: by L (last edited Nov 04, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

L Calling my bungalow 'The Shire' i think is a BookNerd thing?!

(...a bungalow is basically a house without an upper floor. So it could be concidered the closest thing to a Hobbit-Hole, without the cicular shapes inc. windows and doors and the fact that it isn't built into the Earth).


message 25: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 6 comments No. Never!


message 26: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
Or you could just look up the name on the internet...


message 27: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 65 comments Mod
True... You could do that too


message 28: by Owllover (new)

Owllover | 183 comments Mod
I just researched "Valerie Anne". It says she's a musician. Not a book character. ????


message 29: by Cecily (last edited Nov 05, 2013 05:08AM) (new)

Cecily | 6 comments H99 wrote: "Wow... I'd be demanding that my mother reread every book she read, or at least make a list so that I could read them."

My mother did ask, but my grandmother is long dead, so we'll never know. I presume the character had a surname, but she doesn't even know that. The chances are, it was an interwar book of light fiction that long ago went out of print and out of fashion, so the chances of successfully Googling the name of a character in it are slim.

Never mind, though. My mother is long over it, and it never really bothered me.


message 30: by L (new)


message 31: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 6 comments I just hope that "shreads" was a deliberate pun on "reading". ;)


message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments


message 33: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments H99 wrote: "Cecily wrote: "I just hope that "shreads" was a deliberate pun on "reading". ;)"

Let's hope that it was... How would you pronounce that, "reads" but with "sh" at the beginning?"


That would pronounced like "Shreds". If you look it up, it won't come up as Shreads. Don't know if that helps, but here's hoping it does.


message 34: by L (new)

L HaHa!! They are all so true!! I especially love the new bookshelf one and the fact that i have too many books to choose from, i don't know what to read next :) *grins

Problem ~ You're so immersed in a fantasy world that people in reality start to question your sanity


message 35: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (songbirdgabriella) | 83 comments Has anyone had the problem where you finish a book, and physically can't wait for the sequel, and the fact you don't have it yet years at your soul?

Or when you REALLY want a book your friend is reading first?


message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments

Now, to find the Book that you know you just glanced at yesterday. This might take a while. TOTAL BOOK NERD MOMENT!


message 37: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments Thanks H99!


message 38: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (songbirdgabriella) | 83 comments I get you, H99.

Has anyone ever gotten too deep into a story, you don't realize your obsessing until you are always talking about it and referencing the book and characters in every conversation?


message 39: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments


message 40: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 65 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: ""

haha exactly


message 41: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments


message 42: by Robert (new)

Robert Gross | 177 comments It takes me a year to read a book. By the time I finish it, I have forgotten what it was about..
Old Coot


message 43: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 107 comments Robert, really? Even if it has like 360 pages.


message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert Gross | 177 comments Well, maybe I am not that slow~~


back to top