Books, Blogs, Authors and More discussion

Archive promotions > Besides an Author, What Else Are You?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments So I'm curious and have been wondering. Does anyone whose an author ever address themselves as something else? As a writer? Poet? Certain genre writer? Maybe something else entirely? Just curious as to what others think and consider themselves. I consider myself and author, poet and writer. I am sure there may or may not be a difference but worth noting and asking.

message 2: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle I have many titles: wife, stay-at-home mom, educator, chief executive home operator, fantasy author, daughter, sister, niece, aunt, granddaughter, cousin, friend, born again believer saved by the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.... and young-adult fantasy author.

message 3: by L.F. (new)

L.F. Falconer | 63 comments I am an Earthling...no, seriously, I am. We all wear so many hats, but I think the one I have indentified with most often is "Mother."

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 23 comments That's a lot of titles Jenelle! Id say I was: geologist, author, gamer, joker.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 47 comments My Twitter profile always used to read: writer, actor, publishing manager.

If I was being totally honest, I'd add to the list: drinker, idiot

message 6: by Jenelle (last edited Aug 22, 2013 06:07AM) (new)

Jenelle Michael wrote: "That's a lot of titles Jenelle! Id say I was: geologist, author, gamer, joker."

hehe... well, everyone has a lot of titles, if they think about it long enough... I'm sure you can guess that above most things, Family is important to me ;)

message 7: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle L.F. wrote: "I am an Earthling...no, seriously, I am. We all wear so many hats, but I think the one I have indentified with most often is "Mother.""

Love it :)

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 24 comments I dabble in graphic design, video, and web design in addition to my authorial pursuits. All these skills have come in pretty handy in navigating the publishing world in today's wild west market where most authors do have to promote their work on their own.

message 9: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Husband, gardener, American

message 10: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments A lot of good responses. When I wrote this I meant what else are you in the sense of writing as in author, writer. Nevertheless a lot of good responses.

message 11: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle Justin wrote: "A lot of good responses. When I wrote this I meant what else are you in the sense of writing as in author, writer. Nevertheless a lot of good responses."

haha, ok, I obviously totally misunderstood your question! Sorry to take the conversation down a rabbit trail.

In terms of what kind of writer: YA-fantasy and sci-fi author.

I heard some advice a while back that people will take you more seriously as a writer if you introduce yourself/refer to yourself as an "author" as opposed to a "writer" - so I've tried to say "author" more often... and it's true. You say, "I'm a writer," and people go, "oh." You say, "I'm an author," and people generally ask follow-up questions.

message 12: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I missed that too. I write mostly YA-mature targeted at older teens and up. Some of my material is NA.

message 13: by Regina (new)

Regina Shelley (reginas) | 17 comments Hm. I have quite a collection of hats myself. Mostly (in no particular order)laid off graphic designer, folk musician, and mom. Sometimes I'm even a fortuneteller.

I guess you could say "it's complicated."

message 14: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) I'm an independent author, a novelist, a parrot "mommy" to 3 birds, and a program assistant in professional licensing for design professionals in the State of South Carolina. Amongst other things.

message 15: by L.F. (new)

L.F. Falconer | 63 comments I am an Earthing...no seriously, I am. :) I'm also a novelist.

message 16: by Hilary (new)

Hilary Evans (hilevans83) | 2 comments I mostly write content for my father's non-profit these days, though life has settled down a bit and I want to start working on some ideas I've had for years. I always have had to do a lot of business writing for my so-called "real job" (I promise I'm not implying being a writer isn't a real job...I just never was able to just focus on that until I got married). Now, I'm a stay-at-home wife, and I only do social networking for my dad a few hours a week....So, I guess I'm many things other than a writer. I'm a social networking and on-line marketing director for Young and Wiser, an organization that provides training to help teenagers and young adults make better decisions. I'm also an amateur musician, and I've played the piano for twenty-five years. I'm the CEO and CFO of my household, as well as the person who holds down the fort when my Navy submariner husband has to go out to sea. Mostly, I'm an avid reader, news junkie, history buff, and sports fan.....Of course, when people ask me what I do or who I am, I am very proud to say, "Justin's wife".

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 47 comments Oh fair enough. In that case, I've described myself variously as "writer", "author", "translator", "academic", "copywriter" and very occasionally "journalist".

I've had a weird career.

message 18: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 372 comments Writing is a side thing for me, with IT being my day job.

So I guess I'm a nerd.

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments While I consider myself an author, writer and poet you would think I should add blogger but I don't blog half as much as I should. It's one of those things you should do often as a writer and even though I have time it's content that kills me. Bloggers, creative thinker and multi-tasker are titles I'd like to add!

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Howe | 14 comments Writing is a side thing for me, too. I'm also a youth worker and part time musician.

message 21: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Smith (kathleensmith) | 3 comments I am an author but I don't consider myself to be a writer. I am an author, a SAHM and a wife :-) . Justin wrote: "So I'm curious and have been wondering. Does anyone whose an author ever address themselves as something else? As a writer? Poet? Certain genre writer? Maybe something else entirely? Just curious a..."

message 22: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Ash | 25 comments Justin wrote: "So I'm curious and have been wondering. Does anyone whose an author ever address themselves as something else? As a writer? Poet? Certain genre writer? Maybe something else entirely? Just curious a..."

LOL. I've been a writer all my life, but an "author" on only eight occasions. I suppose I'm too modest, but when I say I'm an "author" I try to say it with a certain modesty in my voice. I think it comes from my own observation that most "authors" say the word with a certain panache in their voice. Like as if to say "I'm a prima donna" or "prima don". Writing a book isn't an ego trip for me and so I have trouble with the perfectly good title of author. What do you think? Do I have a problem?

message 23: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Ash | 25 comments Oh, OK, I guess I should have read all the other posts first. When people ask me what I am I say I'm the originator of the Mother Jones Hellraiser Club and give them the Facebook link.

In my long, eclectic life I have had many titles. But I'm liking that one most of all right now. Why confuse everyone.

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 453 comments Haha, whatever works right?

message 25: by Shawanda (new)

Shawanda Harris (brownsugacollections) | 15 comments I am a single mother, a writer, a poet, a lover (mostly of books and christian music), and I am a child of the most high GOD.

message 26: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 93 comments Human, Male, Father, Husband, Child, Brother, Friend, Colleague, Neighbour, Acquaintance...

Also, IT Director, CIO, Bid Director and Programme Manager

I have been introduced by friends as our author. I can't call myself that yet. I write stories, not literary classics

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim Smith (kimsmithauthor) | 18 comments lol...photographer, videographer, mother, wife, coffee lover, dog lover, AR scanner, dreamer. yeah. that about does it.