Writing, Editing, Proofreading, Marketing--Repeat discussion

Hello, and thanks in advance for all the fish

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lewis (last edited Aug 21, 2013 11:22AM) (new)

Lewis Sellers (lewisasellers) | 1 comments Mod
Just to start things off, I'm Lewis and I've recently become slightly addicted to writing. Hopefully there will be no family intervention over this nor any government induce "cure".

I've started this group for the very simple reason I've been wading around goodreads for a while now looking for a similar group... and have finally decided to give up and just create my own. Most of the groups I have found are way too fragmented and "organized" for what I'm actually looking for. And what is that you ask? Why, on going discussion/argument/enlightenment-session about... well, all things related to writing and producing (indie) books in the modern world. :)

I'll be posting about a few things on my mind later as I have time...

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Lunn | 2 comments What do you think are the main challenges related to writing and producing (indie) books? We support first time authors (at ukbookpublishing.com) and the main issue that comes up time and again is marketing - they all want to be on the bestseller list!

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (catwithkeyboard) Hi, I'm Nicole. Been writing for a long time, but have never been published. Now that I'm on mat leave I've had a lot of time on my hands and have found myself writing more than ever. I hope to learn things from this group to help me achieve my writing goals.

message 4: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Church (aj-church) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Amanda (I write as A.J. Church). I've been writing for years and finally made the decision to self-publish about two years ago. I've since published three books (two from separate UF series and one standalone dark humor) and I'm currently getting ready to publish the second book in one series while working on the third book in the same series. I publish both ebooks on multiple outlets and print through CreateSpace.

I made the decision to go the indie route because, while juggling work, family, and life, I wanted the freedom to write on my own terms. A funny thing happened though. Instead of working to find time to write, I'm actually doing the opposite--struggling to find time from my writing to work. It's almost addictive to finish a book and see it published. And because I try to write every day now, it feels wrong when I don't.

I did a lot of research on self-publishing before jumping in, especially on publishing ebooks. After much trial and error, I taught myself the ropes and now I offer editing, formatting, and cover design services for other writers (I have my own freelance web and graphic design business as a day job), though my first love is and always will be writing. I set goals for myself and though my deadlines may slip a week or two depending on what's going on in my life at the time, I'm right on schedule to meet this year's goal of publishing two books and finishing a third.

My writer's page is:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Hi, I'm Judy. I was pulled this group because it said proofreading. I own Judicious Revisions, LLC. Proofreading for Indie authors. So far I have hand picked who I work for. I enjoy reading romance so I mostly work within that genre.

My hope was to find a group that could help with some of the issues that web searches just don't offer much help with, like certain capitalization and punctuation issues.

I am also writing a series of six books. I don't want to publish them until all six are written because I'm a bit anal when it comes to consistency and my books run along the same timelines.

I'm not expecting my books to do well. Not in a negative way, I just have more peace and enjoyment writing them without the idea that I'm writing for any other reason. It has helped me in my business to see how easily your mind writes the wrong word even though you know the difference. Like knew/new and through/threw.

I went to write the other night and started a completely different book that isn't a part of my series.

I just want to add that I'm not here to drum up business. Just hoping to find help now and then.

Judy
http://judiciousrevisionsllc.weebly.com/

message 6: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Lunn | 2 comments Really interesting to hear from authors who are venturing into self publishing - and what works and what doesn't. Be good to compare notes on editing issues such as punctuation etc - I have been editing an American manuscript that needed turning into British English and there were a few phrases and expressions that I hadn't come across.

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy Ruth wrote: "Really interesting to hear from authors who are venturing into self publishing - and what works and what doesn't. Be good to compare notes on editing issues such as punctuation etc - I have been ed..."
With British the biggest thing is to let the u's in their words :-) like colour. I've done proofing for several British authors and read quite a few books from them as well. Although, it's my Irish friend who's words boggle me most in emails.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Schroeder | 2 comments I need a little help. I am a published author. I have a current manuscript that has two large literary agency's interested in it after it has been professionally edited. The problem is the money. I lost my home in the mortgage mess and a recent divorce has left me with very little. Either one of these agents would be a big break for me and take me mainstream. I willing to pay for the editing, I just don't have it now. For me this is huge opportunity, after the customary 100's of rejections. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ed

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy Ed wrote: "I need a little help. I am a published author. I have a current manuscript that has two large literary agency's interested in it after it has been professionally edited. The problem is the money. I..."
What genre are they Ed?

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed Schroeder | 2 comments Hi Judy,
Both books are action/thrillers about a military special operations unit. You can check Amazon,
Duty, Honor, Country: Kill, Capture or do Nothing.
The finished manuscript is Duty, Honor, Country: Back in Black.Best regards, Ed

message 11: by Judy (new)

Judy Ed wrote: "Hi Judy,
Both books are action/thrillers about a military special operations unit. You can check Amazon,
Duty, Honor, Country: Kill, Capture or do Nothing.
The finished manuscript is Duty, Honor,..."

I hope they do well. I stick with the romance genre. That is what my clients write as well. I feel I can do my best with proofing with the genre I most familiar with.

50x66

Writing, Editing, Proofreading, Marketing--Repeat

unread topics | mark unread