The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hello guys!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Gillespie (jonathancgillespie) I've been writing forever, but it seems that somehow I've been reading even longer. I'm joining in the hopes of discovering some excellent books--I try to clear ten a year, which is pretty good when you have kids!

It's a pleasure to meet you all.

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10087 comments Mod
Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the group. While your kids are playing video games and playing up the street with your friends, like mine do, you learn to eschew the chores and get lost in a book!! Every free moment is reading moment.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Lamere-krzysiak (lisajean7870) | 18 comments well when my kids were little I read a book a year if I was lucky now they are 19, 22, and 24 I have all the time in the world. unless they are home complaining I did nothing in the house. But I used to get yelled at for being on the computer all day now I get yelled at for reading all day. Were I used to read a book a year I have been reading 2 to 3 a week. for the past 3 months. Reading is more fun. LOL

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Gillespie (jonathancgillespie) Well, mass transit provides most of my reading time right now. Twenty minutes on MARTA and I can put down ten-fifteen pages, usually.

message 5: by Leon (new)

Leon Mare (LeonMare) | 21 comments Hah, take some serious advice and don't stray out of that reading comfort zone. Upon retirement I anticipated reading full-time. Then I dabbled with blogging, got hooked, and now I struggle to get through a book a month.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Jonathan wrote: "I've been writing forever, but it seems that somehow I've been reading even longer. I'm joining in the hopes of discovering some excellent books--I try to clear ten a year, which is pretty good whe..."

Hi, I'm Renee, I just joined this month. I haven't done much yet, I've mostly been adding books to my shelves, then I guess I should get to work on profile. I joined so I could see if I could find more good books, same as you, and also to try and kick start myself into writing again...I wrote all through elementary school through high school, then stopped once I graduated, it was hard for me to write and work for some reason. Anyway, welcome!

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Gillespie (jonathancgillespie) Get back to it, Renee. Few things are more rewarding (though I'd have to say parenting has been)!

Drop me a line if you ever want any encouragement--it's lonely work, at times.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Yeah, I guess I need encouragement...I've always had self doubts about how much talent I have, I think that's part of why I stopped. It's weird, my best frined called me today and basically issued the order that I start again. I'm not even sure what I would write about these days, when I as a kid I wrote about that. One thing I know I do have is a pretty crazy sense of humor...

message 9: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Renee wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I've been writing forever, but it seems that somehow I've been reading even longer. I'm joining in the hopes of discovering some excellent books--I try to clear ten a year, which i..."

I can give you an idea of the kind of humor I have...some missionaries came to our door a little while ago. I talked to them for a few minutes before they left, and as always they asked if I needed help with anything. I told them no, but when they left I started wondering, what if I said, well, I need help selling this crack, or, can you help me get rid of the body of this guy I just killed? I suppose I could get a story out of that...

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 411 comments Welcome!! Thanks for the ideas next time I get missionaries at the door :)

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Judy wrote: "Welcome!! Thanks for the ideas next time I get missionaries at the door :)"

You're welcome. Maybe next time I should tell the story I came up with yesterday about the spaghetti mafia.

message 12: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 22, 2013 06:58PM) (new)

Jonathan Gillespie (jonathancgillespie) Renee wrote: "Yeah, I guess I need encouragement...I've always had self doubts about how much talent I have, I think that's part of why I stopped. It's weird, my best frined called me today and basically issued ..."

Here's the thing, though--that worry never goes away. Most writers are seized with it now and then. The question is: will you let that beast drag you away from a rewarding pursuit? I'm not saying be cocky, but definitely look the doubt monster in the eye as opposed to the alternative. No retreat, no surrender.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Jonathan wrote: "Renee wrote: "Yeah, I guess I need encouragement...I've always had self doubts about how much talent I have, I think that's part of why I stopped. It's weird, my best frined called me today and bas..."

Renee wrote: "Judy wrote: "Welcome!! Thanks for the ideas next time I get missionaries at the door :)"

You're welcome. Maybe next time I should tell the story I came up with yesterday about the spaghetti mafia."

Jonathan wrote: "Renee wrote: "Yeah, I guess I need encouragement...I've always had self doubts about how much talent I have, I think that's part of why I stopped. It's weird, my best frined called me today and bas..."
I know, it's kind of either put up or shut up...my friend was telling me to write her a story and send it to her...she reminded me that I'm always telling her stories about whatever. My biggest strength is probably my sense of humor, I can see a funny side to almost anything.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Jonathan wrote: "Renee wrote: "Yeah, I guess I need encouragement...I've always had self doubts about how much talent I have, I think that's part of why I stopped. It's weird, my best frined called me today and bas..."I'm having trouble sleeping so I'm back online. I saw that you're from someplace near Atlanta Georgia. My husband is retired Navy. We were stationed in Athens Georgia for about six months eight years ago so my husband could go to supply school. It was a really tiny base, I've hear it's been closed since sometime after we left.