♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Out Of Subject > If, "The Mortal Instruments" bombs at the box office...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronald (new)

Ronald | 16 comments Would you guys like to see it as a CW series? Early reviews are out, and they're not good. The film is projected to make 20 million by the end of the week. Or at least up to 50 million.

So the next course one should take is a fun CW TV series like Supernatural or Vampire Diaries. The TV cast might end up being better than the movie cast anyway.

message 2: by Breanna (new)

Breanna (breacremeans) I think it might be interesting. I'd probably watch the first few episodes, but I feel like the CW would depart from the books so much that it's no longer even like the same thing.
It might be good if they keep it pretty similar though.

message 3: by Teri (new)

Teri | 8 comments I agree with you Breanna. My main issue with the movie--though I liked it okay--was that it was too different than the book. But if taken as something that was "clearly" going to be different and have its own identity if only the same in the "idea" and turned into a TV show, I might like it and watch it.

message 4: by T.J. (new)

T.J. | 109 comments Alright, so in the beginning of this movie deal, I was iffy on Jaime playing Jace and a few other characters, I'm okay with them now and I thought they did well on the movie in comparison to like, Percy Jackson. All the characters were fine except...MAGNUS! He looked great...but then he started to talk and he is a terrible actor. Just terrible. That was a sore spot for me because look-wise, he was perfect.

message 5: by T.J. (new)

T.J. | 109 comments As for the movie itself, sure, it wavered from the book, but City of Bones is a rather large book and I think they hit the important part. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay | 889 comments The sequel might be better

message 7: by Teri (new)

Teri | 8 comments T.J. wrote: "Alright, so in the beginning of this movie deal, I was iffy on Jaime playing Jace and a few other characters, I'm okay with them now and I thought they did well on the movie in comparison to like, ..."

I thought the casting was pretty good really. I could totally see Jamie as Jace and the kid that played Simon was damn near as perfect as could be. Totally agree with you about Magnus...had the look but then opened his mouth and ruined it. Magnus is my favorite character of the series so that hurt my feelings!

message 8: by Teri (new)

Teri | 8 comments T.J. wrote: "As for the movie itself, sure, it wavered from the book, but City of Bones is a rather large book and I think they hit the important part. [spoilers removed]"

I am too picky I think...I would rather watch a four hour movie or have more parts or something than for things to deviate as much as they did...I don't know, there were parts that I loved in the book that just didn't make it to the movie, and while I understand that can't show everything, I was still disappointed. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (bookwyrmingthoughts) | 708 comments Ronald wrote: "Would you guys like to see it as a CW series? Early reviews are out, and they're not good. The film is projected to make 20 million by the end of the week. Or at least up to 50 million.

So the ne..."

TV series? I'm happy with any being able to get on TV and not cable. Because then I can snag the TV for the night. (cant' watch movies) :3

message 10: by Bella (new)

Bella Marie (bittenpillows) | 22 comments Momof3-cherry wrote: "I agree with you Breanna. My main issue with the movie--though I liked it okay--was that it was too different than the book. But if taken as something that was "clearly" going to be different and h..."
the vampire diaries the series and the vampire diaries the books are very different too. Different isnt always bad...hopefully the series would be better than the books....

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (tralo29) | 12 comments I actually thought the movie was good, yes not perfect, but you have to ask where were the fans if this series? it seems like there was no support. The Twilight movies, though I liked them weren't spectacular. Definitely no CW show though, that would ruin it.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Bowhay | 11 comments Our family rated the movie 6/10. I like the actor who played Jace; he grew on me. But at first, he wasn't what I was expecting. In the books Jace is always described almost as "beautiful" to look at. And the actor in the movie is interesting and mysterious but not gorgeous. My 13 year old did not like him at all. I enjoyed the actress they cast as Clary, though. And thought Simon was spot on.

The movie did waver from the book...but they always do!

message 13: by Fifth Horseman (new)

Fifth Horseman (fifthhorseman) I think they should just leave it alone. The CW doesn't have a good reputation for sticking to the books. Look at TVD and The Secret Circle. And I don't want TMI to have the same reputation as Twilight :(

All these new YA book-to-movie adaptations seem to be aiming for fans to watch the movies and make the backers lots of money. Not for the fans to enjoy the movies. It's really quite condescending that they think so little of us just because its YA.