UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
This topic is about UnWholly
Archives > UnWholly by Neal Shusterman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 15889 comments Mod
We will be starting Monday.

Rebecka Oh, I'm so in on this one!! I just got it from the library too, so perfect timing :)

message 3: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Happy you will be joining us, Rebecka.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Eep! Obsessed with this series and book!!!

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

David, I loved the first book and I'm sure I will feel the same about this one.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) I think you will too :) Enjoy!!

message 7: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheri | 12306 comments Mod
I just finished Switch (New World Series, #1) by Janelle Stalder - amazing! Leigh and David, I think you would both like it :)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) I love Janelle, but is that one NA? She asked me to beta but I declined as I usually stick to YA books since I'm averse to much swearing/sexual content. But I've heard it's a good book!

message 9: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep, it is NA. I didn't think there was a lot of swearing/sex, but definitely more than you would get in YA.

message 10: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

It sounds good. I just added it to my TBR list.

David Estes (davidestesbooks) Ok gotcha, thanks :)

message 12: by K (new)

K (karlig96) I'd love to join in on this one. I've had this book on my Kindle for 6 months now. It's about time.

message 13: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karli the Little wrote: "I'd love to join in on this one. I've had this book on my Kindle for 6 months now. It's about time."

Happy to have you join the discussion!

message 14: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) I haven't read this series yet. So I guess I'll just stalk the thread off and on. :)

message 15: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sorry Alyssia, how's everything going? You should read Unwind. I think you would like it - the concept is definitely different.

We were thinking of reading Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by R.L. LaFevers next.

message 16: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree Sheri. Unwind definitely made you think.

message 17: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

OMG! Guess what I was approved for? The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten, #2) by Julie Kagawa

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leigh wrote: "OMG! Guess what I was approved for? The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten, #2) by Julie Kagawa"

Yay!

message 19: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did you get it too?

message 20: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep, I just saw the email from Netgalley.

message 21: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cool! So after we read The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten, #1) by Julie Kagawa we can read The Iron Traitor (The Iron Fey Call of the Forgotten, #2) by Julie Kagawa .

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

There are 84 chapters (they look relatively short), so 17 a day? That would take us to Friday.

message 23: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sounds good.

message 24: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am listening to this one and I hope I can figure out the chapter thing. I am not liking the narrator. He sounds like a narrator of a documentary. So far the story is all over the place. I hope it comes together soon.

message 25: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

So...obviously these chapters aren't distributed very evenly. The first 17 takes us up to page 150 - which is almost halfway through the book!

I agree - so far it's pretty disjointed. I'm assuming it will all come together later.

message 26: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Are you reading or listening?

message 27: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reading.

message 28: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

It is a total of 11 hrs. So far I am a little over 2 hrs.

message 29: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Aug 26, 2013 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The story does come together. Connor, Risa, and Cam have internal issues they are struggling with. These struggles effect their relationships with everyone around them. I really wanted Connor and Rhea together.

message 30: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm having a hard time getting into this...

message 31: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Me, too. I hate to say it but I am not really caring at this point but hopefully it gets better. The narrator is really bothering me so that's not helping.

message 32: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't like Starky at all! Cam's story is a revising of the Frankenstein story.

message 33: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leigh wrote: "Me, too. I hate to say it but I am not really caring at this point but hopefully it gets better. The narrator is really bothering me so that's not helping."

I listened to the first one and didn't like the narrator. I forgot that until you mentioned it...

I checked, and it is the same guy for both. Luke Daniels. I'll have to remember that I don't like him in the future.

message 34: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

He didn't really bother me on the first one but this one is driving me crazy!

Rebecka Wow, I'm sad you guys aren't liking it. I'm really enjoying it. Although, I don't like Starkey either. But I'm sure we aren't supposed to. I think I'm about a day behind you guys, I just finished chapter 17.

message 36: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I haven't even got up to 17 yet! I think I will like it once everything comes together but it is hard for me to get it to it at this point with all the different chapters about different people. It is too disjointed.

Rebecka That's how the first one started too right?

message 38: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I can't remember. It's been a while since I read it. But I think you're right...

message 39: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecka wrote: "Wow, I'm sad you guys aren't liking it. I'm really enjoying it. Although, I don't like Starkey either. But I'm sure we aren't supposed to. I think I'm about a day behind you guys, I just finish..."

Starky is one of the villains in this book. It has gotten better. There is so much going on in this book. The main characters have their own internal struggles but also struggling to survive. There are so many factions and secret organizations at work.

message 40: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished. I didn't like this one as much as the first. I am glad the story finally came together. The internal struggle of each character was thought provoking.

Storky was the self proclaimed champion of all storks but he will quickly sell them out to save himself.

I feel sorry for Cam. He had no choice in becoming a modern day Frankenstein. He just has to learn to live with the sum of his parts. He has to integrate each voice in his head to become his own person. Risa was suppose to be the bride of Frankenstein. I had a problem with Risa's reaction to Cam. Cam was as much a puppet as she was but she ridiculed him. I understand that every time she looked at him she saw all the unwind that died to produce him but that wasn't his fault.

message 41: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I was just thinking of posting to see where you were. Not a lot of discussion going on :) I'm not finished but should be tonight.

message 42: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I know. I miss the discussion. Where are you in the book? Are we still reading Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by R.L. LaFevers next week?

message 43: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think I stopped at chapter 64 or 65 last night, so I don't have too much left.

I'm definitely up for Dark Triumph...Hopefully Alyssia will read it with us, too.

message 44: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will post the thread. How are you liking this one?

message 45: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

Not so much...I don't know, I just can't get into it. It's okay but not nearly as good as I was expecting.

message 46: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree. It wasn't as good as Unwind.

message 47: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Now, I get the cover of the book. It is Cam.

message 48: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Aug 30, 2013 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree with you about Risa - I kind of felt bad for Cam because he didn't ask to be made. He just had to go with it.

Here is what is bothering me most about this book - Connor is kind of a jerk. He says he is trying to be a good leader, but really he's just listening to everyone else and trying to make everyone happy. He does have his moments, but for the most part I am tired of his wining. I get that he never asked to be put in charge and he's trying to do what he can, but I just don't like him in this book.

Risa is too into feeling sorry for herself. I get that she feels kind of left out of the group, but it's really her own fault - she won't accept help from anyone and refuses to do anything she can't do all by herself...then she gets made because they don't help her??

Everything is starting to come together now that I am closer to the end and I think I will end up liking it better from about this point on (or maybe even a few chapters back) - but the first half really seemed like a retelling of Unwind - Starkey would be Roland redone and Miracolina would be Lev redone - if you are introducing new characters you should make them new characters, not drones of past characters.

Anyway, that's my thinking at this point. I'm only on 60 right now so I am not as far as I thought, but I will still finish tonight.

message 49: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't like Connor and Risa as much I liked them in Unwind, they got on my nerves most of this book. I ended up liking other characters more who were not really the main characters.

message 50: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 3 stars

I really liked Risa in Unwind. She was more of a don't mess with me, speak my mind, don't care what you think type of girl.

« previous 1