What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Maps in a Mirror: The Short Fiction of Orson Scott Card
This topic is about Maps in a Mirror
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Dying over and over. A Thousand Deaths, Orson Scott Card. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new) - added it

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments I'm looking for the title of (I think) a short story. It takes place in a distinctly dystopian future in which instead of merely torturing or executing serious criminals the government tortures them BY executing them...over and over again. They have discovered a way of bringing the dead back to life, and so the protagonist is put through a serious of different deaths. This dark and surreal situation brings up interesting ideas about identity and fear tactics. The story may be part of a hodgepodge collection of science fiction stories, I'm not sure.
Thanks!

message 3: by Jillian (new) - added it

Jillian (jilliangs) | 48 comments Yes, that looks right.
I'm actually a huge Card fan and recently bought Maps in a Mirror but haven't yet read any of it. I must have encountered this story elsewhere and not registered the name in my pre-OSC obsession days. Weird.

Thanks!!

rivka | 303 comments Well, it was initially published almost 30 years ago!

Happy to help another OSC fan track down one of his stories. :) Maybe I'll see you around the Hatrack.com forums some time.