If We All Cared discussion

Identifying the Problem

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

Tia Todd StJohn (firedancer) | 84 comments Mod
The problem is this, simply: we are all self-centered in one way or another. If we could just take some thought and time away from ourselves and give it to others, not only will we feel good that we did it, we might have just made someone's day.

Can you think of something like that that you've done? Maybe someone hasn't directly come up to you and said it, but they were thankful...think about it.

~Tia

message 2: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) I'm kinda confused about this discussion, Tia...

message 3: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

Just think of something you've done when you were happy, like...picked up someone's book they dropped (vague). Think how they must have felt before and after that...

Does that clear it up a bit?

message 4: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Oh! I understand now. Thanks!!

message 5: by A. (last edited May 19, 2009 11:59AM) (new)

A. (acharc) oh! does holding a door open for a lady so she could get her bags of grosceries (sorry sp?) and stroller out of the store easily count?

message 6: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

Well, yeah. Anything you could do to help someone. I mean, think about you in that situation: Maybe you had had a rough day, maybe been looking in the wrong places for several things, and you're trying to get through the door, which takes even more time and effort, but someone comes along and helps you. That would at least brighten your day a little, wouldn't it?

message 7: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Yeah! Yup!

I helped my friend with her fake sarcophagus today!

message 8: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

That's!...interesting...!

I comforted my cousin today. She's going through a tough time.

message 9: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) That's a good one Tia.
In geography, we're learning about Africa, and learning about artifact like things there. Some are masks, gold weights, bowls, and stuff like that. The sarcophagus is like a casket. We're making ours out of newspaper!!

message 10: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

Newspaper...good luck with that.

message 11: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Mine turned out quite well. I painted it red then decorated it.

message 12: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Someone passed out at school. Everyone kept talking about it. I told them she probably doesn't want us to talk about her, and they stopped. I felt happy that I spoke up.

message 13: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

OMG how did it happen?

And that's good, I know I wouldn't want to be badgered.

message 14: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Idk. She was just sitting in her seat in the media center/library at the computer and just fell off her seat. Some of us thought she was playing around. She actually passed out. We were all worried. I'm glad she's okay though!!

message 15: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

That's so freaky!

message 16: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Yeah. Anyway, today I helped my partner in science. She was trying to pull the beak out of the squid, and couldn't hold the tentacles and arms while doing that. The others in the group wouldn't help her for some reason. They were boys, but acted like the squid was disgusting. It seemed like mainly girls in my science period touched it...

message 17: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

Squid?? What?? COOL!

message 18: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) My hand smelled like squid for four hours. Now it doesn't really smell like anything. The squid got all cut up! When we were done, I used the pins and scissors to cut it to pieces!!

message 19: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

FUN! It was dead first, right?

message 20: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Yeah. Thank goodness.

message 21: by Tia Todd, If everyone loved and nobody lied... (new)

LOL

message 22: by A. (new)

A. (acharc) aN!! wrote: "Yeah. Anyway, today I helped my partner in science. She was trying to pull the beak out of the squid, and couldn't hold the tentacles and arms while doing that. The others in the group wouldn't hel..."

That sounds fun! So You guyz disect squid instead of frogs or something?

message 23: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) I don't think we dissect frogs till next year. Do basic easy stuff the first year.

message 24: by A. (new)

A. (acharc) Oh I see. I dont know because I stopped going to school after 7th grade. I was homeschooled after that until 10th grade and tested out. I kinda wish I could have went to prom or had a graduation with my friends.

message 25: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Too bad you couldn't have. That is once in a life-time experience.

message 26: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments aN!! wrote: "I don't think we dissect frogs till next year. Do basic easy stuff the first year."

Squids are basic? Well I suppose if you think about it they are...

Anyway, I went to a leadership conference this last weekend and one of the speakers spoke about the Invisible Kids inside schools. These are kids who are there in the background. Like has anyone seen Hatching Pete on Disney? Everyone thought Pete was a new kid since they had never noticed him before. That's like the Invisible Kids. It's really sad because these kids get bullied and driven into depression and suicide and school killings. When school starts up again, I'm hoping to change that. Any ideas?

message 27: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (lyssie123) | 38 comments Well, we could maybe just smile and say hi when we pass them in the hall. And invite them to sit with you at lunch. Or maybe, when we pick groups for projects, include them so they aren't left out and assigned by the teacher.

message 28: by A. (new)

A. (acharc) aN!! wrote: "Too bad you couldn't have. That is once in a life-time experience."

I know I kinda wish I could have gone.

message 29: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Aegine wrote: "aN!! wrote: "I don't think we dissect frogs till next year. Do basic easy stuff the first year."

Squids are basic? Well I suppose if you think about it they are...

Anyway, I went to a leaders..."

Well, there are just the parts to identify. And if you look at the handouts, it should be easy. One boy in my group wouldn't even touch it. Boys now days. Can't even fold a paper airplane.

message 30: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) *Alyssa* wrote: "Well, we could maybe just smile and say hi when we pass them in the hall. And invite them to sit with you at lunch. Or maybe, when we pick groups for projects, include them so they aren't left out ..."

I agree. I hate seeing kids alone. It just makes me feel kinda sad. Especially ones that get teased.

message 31: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) ☪დ❤ℓიʋɛ ɱʏ ɓɘɘηɨɘ❤დ☪ wrote: "aN!! wrote: "Too bad you couldn't have. That is once in a life-time experience."

I know I kinda wish I could have gone."

Too bad you couldn't have gone just for the experience even if you didn't go to that public school.

message 32: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (lyssie123) | 38 comments I get really angry when I see kids teasing someone who's not as 'cool.' I think we should try and setp in and say 'leave him alone.' It's not that hard, really, and you might just shame them into stopping.

message 33: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) Yeah. It may be hard, but we need to bring out the courage and help care for others!

message 34: by A. (last edited Jun 19, 2009 05:20PM) (new)

A. (acharc) I probably wouldnt have gone, given the chance. I wouldnt want to have gone aone. XD

message 35: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments Ok thanks for the support. I'm usually REALLY shy. And people really don't listen to me.

message 36: by A. (new)

A. (acharc) Im SUPER shy to and no one listens to me either, but on the computer I am oke with just being who I am. =)

message 37: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) I'm shy. Well, depending on who I'm hanging out with. We're always willing to listen to you Aegine!

message 38: by Killer Queen (new)

Killer Queen (evilbutterflies) i talk non-stop. but then i forget what i'm saying...

message 39: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments Haha lol thanks. I agree with message 36 (I can't see your name it's all weird symbols). Besides I'm trying to work on being less shy on my trip now.

message 40: by A. (new)

A. (acharc) Oh the first 3 are symbols, it says love my beenie, then the same 3 symbols in reverse order. But everyone just calls me Kii. ^__^ Hullo new friend! *waves* And I am going on a trip very soon...well a one year or so long trip to a different state! Youve inspiried me to try to do the same! Im going to try to be more outgoing with the new people I meet. Are you on a trip now or going to be going soon?

message 41: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) I agree Stephs. I'll talk and then all of a sudden forget. And then get confused.

message 42: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments ☪დ❤ℓიʋɛ ɱʏ ɓɘɘηɨɘ❤დ☪ wrote: "Oh the first 3 are symbols, it says love my beenie, then the same 3 symbols in reverse order. But everyone just calls me Kii. ^__^ Hullo new friend! *waves* And I am going on a trip very soon...wel..."

Well, I'm done with my trip now but it was AWESOME!! What state are you moving to?

message 43: by A. (new)

A. (acharc) Oh did you have fun and did your plan work out for you on being less shy? :) And Kentucky is where I am going to. ^__^

message 44: by Aegine (last edited Jul 14, 2009 11:45AM) (new)

Aegine | 8 comments Yeah it was great! And I'm a little less shy, I guess...at least a little less than last year! They had small groups, only you were put with a bunch of different people from different places. Then you'd discuss that day's topic.

message 45: by Anuhea (new)

Anuhea (anuhearamsey) *diez* I haven't been here forever. I'm so sorry! AGAIN!

message 46: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments GRR!! School starts tomorrow :(

message 47: by Emily (new)

Emily wow! my school doesnt start until tomorrow....i had nooo idea some schools started as early as aug 13.

message 48: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments Um it's a little late but I've been in school for almost a month or a little over. AND JUNIOR YEAR SUCKS!

message 49: by ~♥Alyssa♥~ (new)

~♥Alyssa♥~ (lyssie123) | 38 comments I'm sorry! My brother is a junior now, and he says it's totally the worst. Well, just get through it and lookk forward to being a senior. That's supposed to be fun! (Hehe, I'm only a freshman. And I don't even know you. Oh well!)

message 50: by Aegine (new)

Aegine | 8 comments Savor the years! I wish I was still a freshman even if I couldn't drive and wasn't able to go and do anything. It's not like I have a social life anyways...