Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > Dreams

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
We used to have a dream thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to search for it.

What I want to share with you all last night is this especially freaky dream I had. (I turned on the electric blanket last night so this morning my brain must have been roasting.)
Anyway,

I was visiting Sweeter at this house of his in California (Joan Didion book, I think) and we weren't married yet. Anyway, his house had this extra, added on addition room, with an open half wall - like a loft. He was showing it to me on my little tour and he showed me how the previous owner had added a door and a lock to the room, but Sweeter'd taken it off so the light could flow through the room. Then he took me downstairs to look at the ceiling of the room below that room. There was like a 2" gap in the ceiling where the adddition was put on!!! Like the room was just floating!

And when I looked down from investigating the ceiling there were these two blond twin girls standing there, looking spectral and mussy-haired. Even though they had these long blonde pony tails, they were still kind of fuzzy.

I screamed, scared, and then I woke up. This was at 3am, and then my dreams just got weirder until I got up to make some tea.

Jungians, dream analyzers:
What does it signify?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lemon mirangue pie eaten too late in the evening?

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

I had Ruby Tuesdays for dinner and two martinis made with orange punch and gin.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited May 15, 2009 09:23AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I would guess that, in your subconscious, you've recognized that Sweeter has done or said something recently to indicate to you that he gave you full access into the innermost, inaccessible reaches of his private thoughts and some of what you're processing is pretty frickin amazing and maybe you have a fear that you might learn something you don't want to know? And possibly even vice versa.

Or something to that effect...

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

*shiver*

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments *shiver?*

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Seriously. House dreams are always super symbolic and meaningful for me. They're always vivid, in color, with sound, and I'm super conscious in them. I look around, and my conscious mind is there too, thinking about what I see.

I remember thinking: "wow, Matt's here with me"

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I remember thinking: "wow, Matt's here with me"

I think that's pretty significant.

message 9: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Didn't Freud say that in dreams a house typically symbolizes the body?

message 10: by Heidi (last edited May 15, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Everything in your dream is symbolic of you... people symbolize an emotional response or connection - your emotional response or connection

Places are also symbolic of you - your physical body and all the spiritual and emotional memory you hold inside - the rooms, the structure itself...

I think it's cool and interesting that you describe your house dreams as "always vivid, in color, with sound, and I'm super conscious in them." That's pretty friggin cool, Sally.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And the blonde twins?

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "And the blonde twins?"

Maybe that's foreshadowing? Future family?

message 13: by Heidi (last edited May 15, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "And the blonde twins?"

Quoting my post: maybe you have a fear that you might learn something you don't want to know? And possibly even vice versa.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hmmmmmm ....

message 15: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking, Heids, like there is something going on on a lower level...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Let me state first that a dream reader I am not, I don't even remember mine. But I'm with Larry on this one, if the house represents the body, my guess is that you are going to have twin blonde girls.

I will go hide behind the ficus now.

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Huh?

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

But they were ghosts! Specters! Apparitions! And they freaked me out ! I don't want my future daughters to appear in my dreams and scare me.

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Well, never mind about the twins, then. Forget I said anything.

message 20: by Heidi (last edited May 15, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh. Well, I only guessed that because the two girls had unidentifiable faces and because you said you screamed, scared, and woke up.

Otherwise, I'd guess that they represent the intimacy between you and Sweeter manifesting into something more tangible and at and early, more youthful stage in your relationship.

message 21: by Heidi (last edited May 15, 2009 10:57AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "But they were ghosts! Specters! Apparitions! And they freaked me out! I don't want my future daughters to appear in my dreams and scare me."

Then I stick by my previous post.

They're not your future daughters, though, Sally. They're you. Only YOU can know what they mean to you definitively.

Maybe they're supposed to be you at that age.

Maybe you shared an event with Sweeter recently that reminded you of that time in your life when you felt like you were being pulled into two directions.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Sally wrote: "But they were ghosts! Specters! Apparitions! And they freaked me out! I don't want my future daughters to appear in my dreams and scare me."

Well then please forget we ever had this conversation.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heidi, why are you so good at this? I feel like PMing you every time I have a house dream for another interpretation.

message 24: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments You can PM anytime you'd like, Sally. I can't guarantee accuracy, but I aim for something that's not babble. :)

message 25: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Heidi, you are good at this. From my understanding, homes do signify a deep sense of self &/or Mother, usually the safe, comforting part of you. So relating this to linking into a deep part of Sweeter seems to be spot on.

My question is, what about the twins scared you? Was it just a startling because you didn't expect them to be there? Or was there something menacing about them? Maybe it is something dual in nature in relation to Sweeter that scared you? Or even a dual nature in you? I doubt it's as concrete as 'twins in the future', although sometimes things like that can pop up that have no relation to the actual emotion involved in the dream.

message 26: by Matthieu (last edited May 15, 2009 02:47PM) (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments When a friend passed away in April '04, I had a dream of an empty house. It no longer holds any emotional significance for me, yet I still find the image/light contained within to be rather interesting.

You obviously know the answer, Sherrie. Please share some more of your "cosmic" wisdom...

message 27: by Cosmic Sher (last edited May 15, 2009 02:52PM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I think Heidi is the expert here (in that I think you've got a knack for it). I find dreams fascinating, but I am definitely not a dream interpreter.

message 28: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I was kidding... I've never attempted to dissect anyone's dreams. Having said that, it'd be impossible to know if I have a "knack for it".

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Of course, sometimes the stuff in dreams is just things you saw in a movie. Those twins sound like they are out of The Shining to me.

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh, yeah. Talk about a house nightmare!

message 31: by Cosmic Sher (last edited May 15, 2009 07:04PM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I honestly don't know which was scarier, the movie or the book. Both gave me the heebie jeebies.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments I just wake up and don't put ANYTHING into dreams. My wife has the terror kind often so she takes Ambien which whacks her out. Like sleeping with Amy W. She wakes up terrified. I think dreams are just your mind staying busy while your body rests

message 33: by Heidi (last edited May 18, 2009 08:18AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I think you guys are giving me waaaay more credit to me on this than I earn. It was just lucky guessing. I'm no expert on dreams. It always surprises me when I get within the ballpark for someone else. Because the fact of the matter is that really, YOU (the dreamer) are the only person who can make exact sense of your dream. Anyone trying to make sense of it for you is just grasping at straws, including me. If someone asks me what their dream means, I just try to look at it from my POV and how I'd interpret it for myself. That's just not going to apply for everyone. It's impractical to expect that.

Dream interpretation for MYSELF was a hobby of mine at one time - keeping track of my own dreams, keeping a journal and trying to make sense of them. I have several books - some within the psychology discipline and some pop frou frou dream dictionaries and guides.

One book even gives insight into lucid dreaming and setting your personal body clock so that you can wake at a certain time without an alarm (I do that typically when I'm vacationing).

What I got from the reference books, in particular, is that in trusting MY instincts, I realized that more times than not, their formulaic answer to what something means was, more times than not, out of sync with what seemed logical for me. EX: losing baby teeth - dictionary indicates bad luck around the corner; for me, it was a right of passage... and more times than not, that's what it's meant for me in my dreaming.

Anyone here remember the tv show Six Feet Under? I watched it religiously when it was on back in the day (in fact, my grief over the ending/last show was the catalyst in my considering no more tv). The HBO website is still up. They have some really cool webpages dedicated to SFU - in particular, there's alot of reference to dreaming and dream symbolism in their writing. The same could be said about David Lynch's Twin Peaks. I really loved both of those shows.

Jackie, the twins from The Shining were the first thought that popped into mind when Sally mentioned two little girls.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

That kind of creeps me out too - that we all have this communal image of "girl twins" that look like that.

message 35: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Heidi, I find all that dream stuff fascinating too. Carl Jung was very into dreaming & archetypes, etc. He's kind of a hero of mine.

But, I never had the patience enough to consistently write my dreams down ... or wake up at a certain time to do lucid work. So, it remains a fascination but only as much work as I don't have to put into it. hehehe

I'll have to check out the SFU stuff. I missed that series entirely, living in a non-HBO household. ::shakes fist at cable gods::

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I've been looking for this thread for FOREVER!!! OMG, I just found it.

message 37: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You're the best, Heidi.

message 38: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Cosmic Sher wrote: "I'll have to check out the SFU stuff. I missed that series entirely, living in a non-HBO household. ::shakes fist at cable gods::"

Sherrie, I think you'd really like the series. You can borrow all 3 seasons of it now from movie rental places... and the library (like I did). The special features/writer commentary really add a whole new dimension to the show. Those guys really know their psychology!

message 39: by Sally, la reina (new)

oooh, whoa. I'm glad you found this thread, Heidi. That dream had scared the poo out of me but I forgot about it.

The good part of not being pregnant any more is no more freaky dreams. When and if i do get to sleep it isn't deep.

message 40: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I thought it was a very interesting dream. I've been so disappointed for the longest time, though, because I thought these posts had been deleted as they're not in the Janine's Dream Diary thread... I even checked through old PMs between us to find out if maybe we'd discussed it there instead of on the TC boards... nothing there, either. So then I got to thinking that maybe I imagined this elaborate dream that you shared and my response to it... and everyone else's.

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I had a nightmare tonight. I dreamed I hate to get from my apartment (um, the first one, but not exactly) to my car, but there were guys who were waiting to beat me up because they felt like I had committed them some injustice, and I had to avoid them and get to the car safely. I've had this dream a lot lately.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I had a dream last night, entirely in German, where I was sitting in my German class listening to everyone struggle to properly construct grammatically correct sentences. I was dying to say something but I just couldn't for some reason. It was awful. :/

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Silly answer, but mebbe your baby will be blonde?

I sometimes remember my dreams, and sometimes I don't, but the ones I remember I never forget... Oh, and apparently, I can hum, mumble and move in my sleep (which is cool, and at the same time, really terrifying for other members of sleepovers who happen to be telling ghost stories)