Book Excerpts discussion

Mortal Realm Witch: The Magic Continues (Mortal Realm Witch #2)
This topic is about Mortal Realm Witch
Two Book Excerpts From: Mortal Realm Witch: The Magic Continues

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 6 comments This first excerpt is the story of "Testing Trillman" from the story in the book titled "Magic Mayhem" in which DWW is telling stories from the past, before she was living in the Other Realm.

You may know about the first spell I ever tried to do with Trillman. It was the spell where I had to turn Trillman into a puppy. At first the spell worked fine, but later I got a magic blockage which caused all my spells to reverse and Trillman became a guppy instead of a puppy.

At that time, I had used many different spells on Trillman and all of them turned out wrong. I remember a spell that I used on him shortly after the magic blockage was removed. This spell became Trillman's ultimate test of patience with me. Here is what happened.

It was Saturday morning. I think it was around ten o' clock or something. I had seen a spell in a magic book in the Other Realm that I wanted to use. The spell would turn Trillman into a small brown mouse. When I looked at the spell, I guess I didn't read the whole thing.

I tried the spell on Trillman as soon as he came to me for magic practice. I must have gotten the spell wrong because when I next looked at Trillman I was staring at a large brown moose.

I tried to reverse the spell like I had when he had been a puppy, but that didn't work. Then I tried to reverse it the way that I had done when he had accidentally become a guppy. That didn't work either.

Trillman made me go back to the Other Realm to look at the spell again to see if it said how to reverse it. He came with me to be sure I did what it said.

I read through the spell again and noticed something I obviously hadn't noticed before. At the bottom of the page was a notice. It said:

Spell can't be reversed using another spell and it does not wear off after any amount of time.

Trillman also saw this notice.

I was confused. If you can't use a spell to reverse it, and it doesn't have a time limit, what else is there to do? You can bet that Trillman was mad at me for this.

One month later, I still hadn't been able to figure out how to turn Trillman back to normal.

A while later I decided that Trillman needed a bath, so I took my moose familiar and led him outside. First I hosed him down and then I used dog shampoo on him. After I rinsed the dog shampoo off I went to turn off the hose.

I was starting to wonder what I would do if Trillman was a moose forever.

I turned back around to face Trillman and was amazed by what I saw. Trillman was a dog again!

It washes off!" I said excitedly.

"Apparently so," Trillman said.

"Go figure," I replied.

In the end it turned out all right, but I don't think that Trillman ever completely forgave me for that mishap.

message 2: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Priester (jenniferpriester) | 6 comments This second excerpt is from the story of "Witch Hunters".

At my house, once we found Max, we asked him about the witch hunters.

"First don't use any magic in the same room as them if you are indoors, and if you are outdoors don't use magic within their sight or within ten feet of them," Max said.

"Oops," I replied, realizing that Taron and I had been in a corner where they couldn't see or hear us, but we had still been in the same room as them.

"You used magic around them, didn't you Turtle?" Max asked me.

"Yes," I confessed.

"Then they will already be following you and Taron," Max said.

"Why Taron?" I asked.

"Because witch hunters are also known as magic hunters. They hunt anyone with magic, not just witches," Max explained.

"I think that we should go to the Other Realm and tell DWW about them," I suggested.

"That's probably a good idea," Max agreed.

I had just started to zap the three of us into the Other Realm when Max said, "Turtle, you can't bring Taron with us!"

"Max, there are three witch hunters nearby. I am not going to leave him behind!" I said.

"Fine, but don't blame me when you get turned into a familiar for several hundred years!" he exclaimed with a wag of his tail.

"I won't," I agreed smiling back at him.

I looked around and realized that we weren't in the Mortal Realm anymore, but we weren't in the Other Realm either.

I could clearly see both Realms and looking past the Other Realm I could see dragons, unicorns, vampires, centaurs, minotaur's, and many other creatures.

I could also see areas that looked like they were completely underwater and other places that looked as if they had almost no water at all. There was also a place with nothing but swamp-like land and lots of trees.

In that place I could also see many creatures that blended into trees like a small cat with chipmunk like markings.

"Max, where are we?" I asked.

"I don't know. It looks like some kind of..."

"...Map World," Taron cut in.

"Yeah, a Map World," Max said.

"It does resemble a holographic map," I said. "We should probably let DWW know about this place as well as the witch hunters."

"We can do that, but first let's explore!" Taron urged.

message 3: by Urenna (new)

Urenna Sander | 29 comments Below is an excerpt from my sensual romance novel, “True Season of Love:”

Olivia’s boss, Hulot, was upset. She had changed her mind about dinner with him and the illustrator. The illustrator had also decided to forgo dinner; he preferred to have dinner with his new bride.

Ptolemy read Le Monde as he waited in front of his Volvo for Olivia.

Olivia had put on her sunglasses. She looked smart in navy linen suit with a cream-colored camisole. She had worn dark blue sling back heels and carried a red clutch purse. Ptolemy looked up from his paper and grinned.

Olivia waved good-bye to the illustrator and bade Hulot good night. Hulot mumbled something in response and walked toward the parking garage. He glared at Ptolemy and refused to exchange pleasantries.

“I guess I spoiled dinner,” said Ptolemy.

“He’ll be fine. He will not stay angry, which is a good trait for a boss. He’s very forgiving. Tomorrow, he’ll treat us to patisseries and coffee,” she said.

Olivia discussed her tiresome day of going over the special medical journal for January.
The staff had friendly arguments and disagreements about the artwork and layouts, but they agreed before they left for home. Hulot, of course, wanted to continue their discussion at dinner.

“Then, you needed a reprieve. I have a light supper for us, nothing heavy and a good wine.”

The light meal was spinach pies with feta cheese, Greek salad, and mangoes and berries for dessert. The white wine was surprisingly from California’s Napa Valley. It was a gift from his friend, Al, who loved Napa Valley wines and often bestowed them upon his friends.
Ptolemy poured them another glass of wine. “Our French friends are insulted, but I happen to love Napa Valley wines.”

Olivia sipped the dry white wine slowly. “It’s good.”

“Would you like some more salad or spinach pie?”

“No, I’m fine,” said Olivia, as she slipped out of her shoes. She surveyed Ptolemy’s apartment. He had a typical Parisian three-bedroom apartment on a small, quiet street. He had decorated the apartment in warm Mediterranean colors of saffron and ginger in an eclectic style of modern and antique.

She stared at his collectibles—jade, wood, and ivory netsuke. They were Japanese carved wooden and ivory ornamental toggles, seen at the end of a cord to keep kimonos closed. He had explained they were previously utilized to fasten pouches and purses, and had started around the seventeenth century. He had an expensive collection of netsuke: a fat rounded jade Buddha; warriors; deities; and animals in ivory, a boar in boxwood, and a “shunga” netsuke of a male and female sexually joined together. He explained that his jade Buddha netsuke was a fair trade; a gentleman gave him his expensive netsuke for one of his swords. This is what started Ptolemy’s collection.

A wall decorated with blades caught Olivia’s eye. Fascinated, she stood and walked over to the wall.

Ptolemy watched her as Olivia inspected his blades. He walked up behind her, placed his arms around her waist and kissed her nape. He then pointed to his favorites: Mabo throwing blades and Mangbetu with its ivory handle from the Congo, Japanese Katanas and Wakizashis, Arabian scimitars, and rapiers from Spain. He briefly gave her the history of sword making. “Sword smelting and forging began in West Africa in 1200 BC. It takes skill to seamlessly fuse pieces together,” said Ptolemy. He then seared a path of kisses down Olivia’s neck, onto her shoulders.

“Hardening is the most important part of blade making. The blade is covered with a clay paste, charcoal powder, and pulverized stone,” he said, as he caressed her arms, inhaling the fragrance of her soft skin. “The hilt is important. It is the handle and control of the blade.” His tongue slowly caressed the inside of her ear. “It consists of the grip and pommel. The pommel can be used as a blunt instrument at close range.” He turned her around to face him.

“Swords symbolize violence, punishment, or phallicism,” said Olivia, kissing his mouth.
Ptolemy let out a hearty laugh. He laughed so hard, tears welled in his eyes. He grabbed Olivia’s face and gave her a quick kiss. “Phallicism? I assure you I do not worship my reproductive organs, but I do believe in procreation. Swords also symbolize the three elements: earth, wind, and fire; also intelligence, power, justice, strength, and honor. It’s cutting through and getting to the heart of the matter,” he said…

True Season of Love