I Listen to Podiobooks discussion

Where/how do you listen?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 1 comments I commute also (to and from work, about 35 minutes one way). I find that audio books really kill the monotony of the drive, but they can be rather expensive. I discovered podcasts and listen to several quite regularly, but then I was SO excited and grateful to discover podcast novels!

So now I never leave home without my fully charged iPod. I found a cheap adapter that allows me to listen through my cassette player... best $15 I've ever spent. :)

message 2: by Ron (new)

Ron | 5 comments I listen to podcast novels from home and when I commute back and forth to college courses. Television is too distractive for me, so when I'm working from home remotely, podcast novels help me to pass the time. By the way, I listen to them via a iPod. I usually download them through iTunes or podiobooks.com.

Quick story, I began listening to them about a year ago after an ex co-worker told me about them. To make a long story short, the first podcast novel I listened to was Shadowmagic. I listened to the entire thing while driving from Connecticut to Georgia!

message 3: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny I listen on my Zune, mostly in bed before I fall asleep. It's the perfect way to take my mind off my troubles at night, especially once my eyes are too tired to read. I just turn off the light, close my eyes, and let the story take over.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill | 1 comments Like some of the others, I listen to podiobooks in the car, but I was driving 1 1/4 hours one way, but the new job I have I only drive half an hour. Doesn't stop me from listening!

message 5: by Brent (new)

Brent (dajhek) I listen to podiobooks in my car on my way to and from work, during my daily walks and while doing chores. My favorite time to listen is during the summer when I work for a pool company. I spend hours a day listening to podiobooks while cleaning pools and delivering supplies.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara  (sarazap) | 2 comments Seems like all I ever listen to lately is an audio book; first during my commute to work, now on my iPod-all checked out from the public library. I just learned about the Podiobooks site today so when I saw this group I thought I'd join and learn more about it. Can't wait to start using it!

message 7: by P.G. (new)

P.G. Holyfield (pgholyfield) | 2 comments http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/418 - Hi Sara. Here is a list of some of the most recommended books on Podiobooks.com. Hope you find some good ones to enjoy!

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I work from home and listening alot. It stops me being distracted by the outside world (and the fridge!)
I can't listening if I'm reading/writing emails but other than that I seem to be using a different part of my brain.

I also listening while doing household chores - I hate them so much I need something to distract me.

And Ron, I also enjoyed Shadowmagic.

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara  (sarazap) | 2 comments Esther-
I know what you mean. I wish I could be one of those people who enjoy cooking, but unfortunately I'm not. But I found that, cooking while listening to an audiobook on my iPod made me more relaxed and the process wasn't so tedious!

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian (thevoicesofbrian) | 2 comments On my iPod for commute, laundry/dishes, and monotonous tasks at work.

message 11: by Sybele (new)

Sybele On my iPod when I can't or don't feel like holding my reader :-) Usually while knitting or sunbathing :-)

message 12: by Rosanna (new)

Rosanna Morris | 6 comments The CB wrote: "On my iPod when I can't or don't feel like holding my reader :-) Usually while knitting or sunbathing :-)"

I do it the same as pretty much everyone else.
The boring chores and the long commutes..
That was my first intention.
But I really love the ability to discover so many new authors this way.
It also seemed I never could buy enough or take out enough books out at the library; at least enough to keep up when I was really in the mood to dive in.
There are endless podiobooks to explore.
I also love them for relaxation.
You know.... those times when you're really tired and stressed after a long trying day.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam Bradley (SamBradley) | 1 comments Always in the car (why I bought Siruius radio I don't know ...) and often while housecleaning or yardwork. Sometimes I'll pull something off iTunes on my computer and have a listen. One good author (and Twitter) seems to lead me another so I keeping adding to my iPod. I know for a fact that I have much more good stuff to read than I'll ever have time to finish. I'll keep going until the iPod blows up or I do! I also have to find time for work, my own writing and now, podcasting. *Sigh* ... - Sam

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane (divadiane) | 2 comments I download using iTunes and either listen to them thru iTunes or on my iPod while doing household chores or walking/riding my bike around town running errands. I can't listen while reading or writing either - to distracting in both directions, but usually I turn my ears off... I'm thinking that with a baby on the way, due early October that I'll be listening to Podiobooks and audio books much more as I'll need my hands free, and small babies aren't much for intellectual stimulation... :-)

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt (nemesis0) | 2 comments I work security and spend around 3-4 hours of my work time in a truck patrolling and i listen to podiobooks stories there. Podiobooks has saved me from hours of boredom in that truck (and continues to do so today).

message 16: by Ridan (new)

Ridan | 3 comments I listen primarily while traveling - to and from school, stuck in traffic (happens alot around here). I've been listening to books on my kindle which sounds kind of odd but to me it is easier having all my books in one place then to have some on my ipod and some in my kindle.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy (fluffymcfluff) | 1 comments I believe the very first podiobook I listened to was J.C. Hutchins' 7th Son back in 2006. Still one of my favorites. From then on I was hooked to my ipod and itunes. I would listen to them while I was walking, sleeping, studying... any where I can. I was addicted. Lately I haven't had the time to download new ones but I need to get back on that!

message 18: by Neil (new)

Neil (nilling) | 3 comments Although I have an iPhone/iTunes I prefer to use my old 80GB iPod Video with Rockbox installed. Then off to Podiobooks.com download a book and drag-and-drop onto the iPod. My car commute is about 50 mins motorway driving.

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani | 2 comments I jumped on the podcast bandwagon in 2007 while I was living alone in Japan, I liked the white noise..in English.

My first podiobook though was the 7th son series which I downloaded in preparation for hours of train riding (traveling on the cheap using local trains). Loved it and never looked back..

Since then I've listened in a variety of situations
- traveling on planes
- driving to work
- doing housework
- painting
- biking to school
- relaxing in the tub or at the beach