European Royalty discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
History Nominations > Jun 1 - Jul 1: Nominating

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments ***CIVIL WAR***

***ANY COUNTRY, ANY TIME PERIOD, FICTION OR NON-FICTION***

Okay everyone, it's that time of the month - time to nominate! Anyone who would like to nominate ONE book may do so in this thread.

The theme this month is CIVIL WAR (any country, any time period, fiction or non-fiction). There's a lot of flexibility here! The book can cover the years before, during or after a civil war (internal skirmish, etc. - it doesn't necessarily have to be called a "civil war" - use your best judgment). It doesn't have to focus on actual battles or anything like that.

Please try to check amazon or some other site to make sure the book is easily available - the last thing we want is to nominate some great book that no one can get! If you nominate more than ONE book, only the first book listed will make it into the voting thread (so save additional books for the next months!). Also, if the book doesn't fit the theme, I won't add it to this month's voting list, but I will carry it over to the next theme that it does fit under if you would like.

Feel free to nominate one book of your choice in this thread until May 15th, 9pm Eastern.

At around that time, I'll make a voting poll and list all the nominated books in it, and people can vote in the poll until the poll closes (set to last through May 19th). Discussion can start on June 1st.

Happy Nominating!

message 2: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments When Christ and His Saints Slept (Eleanor of Aquitane, Book 1) by Sharon Kay Penman

I'm going for Penman. England's Civil War between Stephen and Maude is very complex and Penman is able to put it together in a book so that the lightbulb finally goes off.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments Winter in Madrid, by C. J. Sansom.

It's set in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War.

Seems to be widely available on Amazon. (Which, alas, was not the case with another book I wanted to nominate! Out of print.)

message 4: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea.

Summary: When sixteen-year-old Teresita, the illegitimate daughter of a late-nineteenth-century rancher, arises from death possessing the power to heal, she is declared a saint and finds her faith tested by the impending Mexican civil war.

Let me know if this one doesn't qualify. Is it any European country, or any country?

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Turnbull | 8 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54...

Hi there

Can I nominate my first book, Decision Most Deadly. It is set in 1641. During this year, the political intrigue and national unrest reached fever pitch and the plot follows the life of Sir Charles Berkeley as he lives through this discord, leading to the English Civil War. It ends with the Battle of Edgehill.

It is available via the official website to international and UK addresses. Also it is available on Amazon UK, again, available to ship to international addresses too.

message 6: by Cathie (new)

Cathie | 38 comments Cold Mountain is US Civil War era and is an excellent read. It should be available at the library and probably used editions on Amazon.com would be cheaper.

message 7: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (bloomer) | 83 comments oooh I have Cold Mountain on my shelf and it's been staring at me.

message 8: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments April Ann wrote: "The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea.

Summary: When sixteen-year-old Teresita, the illegitimate daughter of a late-nineteen..."

Any country, so this works great.

message 9: by Bettie (new)

Bettie How about considering The British Civil War The Wars of the Three Kingdoms 1638-1660, which is available on amazon.co.uk and other sellers.

message 10: by The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) (last edited May 15, 2009 01:31PM) (new)

The Book Whisperer (aka Boof) | 85 comments I would like to nominate [Book: Dr Zhivago:] by Boris Pasternak. It is set primarily in the Russian revolution in 1917 and also during the subsequent civil war in 1918-20.

message 11: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Nominating is closed. Time to vote!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.