Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Where do authors go?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments I am loading my bookshelves by author and so many have disappeared, I googled them and they don't appear to be dead, so what happens to them.

The Broken Hearts ClubThis is a series with a NYPD cop with family money, some really twisted plots for being written almost PRE CSI, and The Fourth Angel a female NYFD, seems this was an orginial main character that just fizzled out,
the only hope I have is eileen dryer I did find her main page and is looking for a new publisher for medical thrillers but is doing great with her romance sagas which I don't enjoy

teresa

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Teresa wrote: "I am loading my bookshelves by author and so many have disappeared, I googled them and they don't appear to be dead, so what happens to them.

The Broken Hearts ClubThis is a ser..."

teresa-
there's a way to find authors who's books are on your shelves (if they are on goodreads) but for the life of me i can't remember how i did it. i'll keep searching around and when i figure it out, i'll let you know- unless someone else beats me to it! lol

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments ok- go to the author tab under explore.
then when it shows the authors recently on line, click on the bottom right where it says something like 6,748 more authors. when you get to that page, on the top right ,click on the link that says "authors on my shelves".
not sure if that's what you are looking for but it will show you what authors you read are on good reads.

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments is this the lost leading the lost? LOL Not what I am looking for but something else to do on goodreads: ) LOL

I want to know why they don't write books anymore, did they die, writers block,no contract etc......
teresa

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3789 comments Teresa wrote: "is this the lost leading the lost? LOL Not what I am looking for but something else to do on goodreads: ) LOL

I want to know why they don't write books anymore, did they die, writers bl..."

oh totally the lost leading the lost in this thread..lol
maybe they are one hit wonders or short series book wonders..lol

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments LOL I REALLY like them though, wonder if there is a way to see how popular there were, I cant think of another series with a firefighter as the main person

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments OH btw I know am fan of my authors, so the lost leading the lost, gave me more reasons to explore the site : )

message 8: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3111 comments Usually Google can lead you to a fan sit that helps. I was devastated when Karen Kijewski stopped writing, and found a few tings on her, but Katie Munger stopped writing Casey Jones, and her online presence always suggested she was ready to release again. Max Barry, another favorite, does a blog where he expresses his difficulty getting published.
Barry

message 9: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments I want to know why they don't write books anymore, did they die, writers block,no contract etc......
teresa

Probably because the publishing business has changed so much in recent years. Stores like WalMart, Costco, and other big box stores require vastly greater amounts of sales per book that the old indy's or even B&N (to a degree). A run of 15,000 hard cover used to be acceptable; now they want runs of 50,000 and more. Many authors who had a couple of books published and a decent following just got squeezed out. The electronic book readers will allow many of these authors to get back in the game if they so choose. You might want to check the Kindle and other electronic lists to see if those authors you are looking for have published new titles on them. For some, it might just have been time to move on to something not dominated by a relative handful of big names.

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8258 comments Daniel wrote: "For some, it might just have been time to move on to something not dominated by a relative handful of big names. ..."

Right. Wasn't someone on this board a friend of, or in touch with, Richard Barre? I remember he was a favorite author of some of you, but I thought he'd finally stopped writing because of the very things Dan is describing.

message 11: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Barre was a poster on the Hardboiled Board for a while. He had a large following there. I believe I remember that he was having a hard time getting published. His last novel I believe was Blackheart Highway.

I am thinking Baron Birtcher was having the same problem. He published a couple of books and then it was a few years before Angels Fall came out.

Dan is correct about the big box stores. Walmart only wants bestsellers on it's book line. AND they have a whole department who decides who that will be. Meaning they (Walmart) tell their distributors which authors and books they want in which stores. They do not take chances on mid-list authors at all, unless the publishers offer a special promotion and an even deeper discount on pricing to Walmart.

Even with special promotions, if the product isn't selling quickly, they will call you to come and get it out of their store right then.

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Gail:
I hate that they are squeezing out the smaller print run books, I expect there are some sleeper hits and jewels in those mid list or new authors work that aren't getting shelf space at big box retailers. Ironically my library's new 10 hold limit policy is keeping me from trying some newer debut / unknown books as well. I find my hold list full of known author's soon to be released work and I am unable to try as many "different" books that catch my eye, but that I may not like. I hope the Kindle or other ebook technologies will help those stay available. (even though I don't have one)

Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: "They do not take chances on mid-list authors at all, unless the publishers offer a special promotion and an even deeper discount on pricing to Walmart. "

message 13: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments Ouch, that 10 limit hold wouldnt work for me, even with 4 library cards and 3 1/2 readers (LOL) Joe reads but only a few certain books/authors. I have probably 40-50 on hold between gabi, jake and me. It is just easier to pursue the catalog choose 20-30 easy readers for her, and pick up.

I don't think it is right to ask for 50,000 books for one run, but on the other hand her is another question

How do these new authors get the following? Ex The twilight series,

So if I see books at Walmart they are pretty much what they think are bestsellers, does that make them good reading?

oops that was 2 questions
teresa

message 14: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2707 comments So if I see books at Walmart they are pretty much what they think are bestsellers, does that make them good reading?

Not that there aren't very good writers represented, but it's like someone telling you that you can only buy a shirt in red, black or green. Two things happen: all the other colors are left out, and after a while, people stop producing those other colors because they can't sell them. So if you're satisfied with Baskin-Robbins 4 flavors or Heinz 6 varieties, then I suppose it's fine.

message 15: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Teresa wrote: "Ouch, that 10 limit hold wouldnt work for me, even with 4 library cards and 3 1/2 readers (LOL) Joe reads but only a few certain books/authors. I have probably 40-50 on hold between gabi, jake an..."

Twilight's initial run was very small. It was marketed as YA so fits under different publishing standards. It wasn't until her third book was published that the hysteria hit. It had built up and so the second book was re-released in HB form as a special ed, along with the release of the third book. I can almost bet you could not find her first book at Walmart when it was first released. In fact, I don't think they carried her second book until it was near the time for the third book to be released. By then the YA audience was hysterically waiting the third book's release and Big Box started paying attention.

and no, just because Walmart think's it's good doesn't mean it is. They are looking at their bottom line, they want to experience a quick turnover and make some $$. If a product does not sell, they pull it quickly and replace it with something else. Same with book titles.

But think about it. If you want to peruse books, you don't go to a Walmart to do it. Yes, while there for other reasons, you might look over what they have and make a purchase. But to discover books, you either look online or go to a store that specializes in books. Walmart shoppers are there for pricing and convenience, not to discover new authors. Same thing for your Targets, Krogers, Ralphs, etc. Especially for HB's, because of the cost. General merchandise retailers have the bestsellers there as a convenience and also impulse buys. They also lure you in with deals on new releases because most often you will also purchase other items that they will make more money on before leaving the store. How many times have you walked out of a Target, Walmart, Krogers, etc., with only a book. Okay now I am rambling........

message 16: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1390 comments Ann wrote: "Gail:
I hate that they are squeezing out the smaller print run books, I expect there are some sleeper hits and jewels in those mid list or new authors work that aren't getting shelf space at big b..."

I look at a book's content more than who wrote it. So I'm often picking up NTMAs. My reading pattern is probably very unusual though. One reader isn't even a blip on the publishing industry's radar.

Shomeret

message 17: by Gail/Ladyvolz (new)

Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman (ladyvolz) | 343 comments Shomeret wrote: "Ann wrote: "Gail:
I hate that they are squeezing out the smaller print run books, I expect there are some sleeper hits and jewels in those mid list or new authors work that aren't getting shelf spa..."

But just think Shom, when you find something you like, then talk about it here and with friends, and then several of us on this board pick it up and read it and recommend it to others, write a review and/or post in other blogs and then so on and so on. You could spur lots of sales and you are no longer a blip!

message 18: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14971 comments Shomeret:
Gail is right! Word of mouth is a great value to those new to you authors. They become new to us too. We love your eclectic reading tastes, they broaden our book knowledge!

Gail/Ladyvolz wrote: "But just think Shom, when you find something you like, then talk about it here and with friends, and then several of us on this board pick it up and read it and recommend it to others, write a review and/or post in other blogs and then so on and so on. You could spur lots of sales and you are no longer a blip!"

Shomeret wrote: "I look at a book's content more than who wrote it. So I'm often picking up NTMAs. My reading pattern is probably very unusual though. One reader isn't even a blip on the publishing industry's radar. "

message 19: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 0 comments do it. Yes, while there for other reasons, you might look over what they have and make a purchase. But to discover books, you either look online or go to a store that specializes in books. Walmart shoppers are there for pricing and convenience, not to discover new authors. Same thing for your Targets, Krogers, Ralphs, etc. Especially for HB's, because of the cost. General merchandise retailers have the bestsellers

THanks for this explaination, it makes sense to me. I read the established writers, but love finding new authors. I will use my WORD OF MOUTH to promote them so they can become big sellers too.