Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
LRF as an eBook format for upload

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments I see there are a a few eBook formats for eBooks that are legal to post here. There is Mobipocket, PDF (not an eBook format at all) and ePub. What is missing is LRF for the Sony Readers. There are a lot of people who use Sony Readers and it would be useful to have LRF as an uploadable format.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45082 comments Mod
That is really a request for the Feedback group. Librarians don't have much to do with that sort of policy.

But how do you figure PDFs aren't ebooks? There's even a Palm-specific PDF viewer specifically designed for viewing ebooks. Besides, many other readers can easily convert PDFs into their proprietary format.

message 3: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments PDF is not an eBook format. PDF was designed for printing. It was not designed for reading. It is a fixed format and not good as an eBook format. Just check out the MobilRead forum at http://www.mobileread.com and you'll see that lots of people do not count PDF as an eBook format.

message 4: by JSWolf (last edited May 10, 2009 05:43AM) (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments But it is important to get the message across that PDF is NOT an eBook format.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Jon, I don't think this is the right forum for that argument.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45082 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "Jon, I don't think this is the right forum for that argument. "

Good point, Jessica.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.