Debate discussion

116 views
The Government > Gun Control

Comments Showing 1-50 of 243 (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jayda (last edited Jul 28, 2009 12:06PM) (new)

Jayda http://www.glennbeck.com/content/arti...

March to Socialism

Is Washington looking to increase their control of the airwaves? Author and radio programming executive Brian Jennings says yes. He appeared on the show to talk about his book Censorship: The Threat to Silence Talk Radio, where he outlines both the overt and hidden ways politicians are looking to regulate free speech. The Broadcaster Freedom Act would be a step in the right direction, but it might not be enough.

Petition:
http://censorshipbook.com/


Ridiculous... -headdesk-
Opinions?


EDIT:

ACORN recently did a rally for socialized healthcare on the sidewalk (I can't remember where) and there were a couple of people there against it. They were having civilized conversation with a couple of the people for it, just discussion the healthcare plans, and some ACORN members told police to come and take care of them because apparently the ones against the healthcare don't have the right to stand on the same sidewalk as the ACORN members, or to talk about it with them in a civilized manner.

Want proof?

http://www.bluegrasspundit.com/2009/07/b...

Watch the video. It's ridiculous. I was so pissed when I watched this. I wouldn't have been able to stay so collected as the women against the healthcare who were being told what to do by the police officer.

So, opinions?


message 2: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (ninjafanpire) | 51 comments The link didn't work.


message 3: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Did you click on it? It's working for me.


message 4: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (ninjafanpire) | 51 comments It said it's not found...Try posting it again.


message 6: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (ninjafanpire) | 51 comments Okay that one worked!


message 7: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (ninjafanpire) | 51 comments Oh man that is long but yes I think we are losing a bit of our freedom of speech. Have you seen the movie Expelled?


message 8: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Yes, I agree. The government is trying to take away our freedoms one by one, it seems. No, I haven't, what is it?


message 9: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Oh my god this is horrible!


message 10: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Thank you! I agree :)


message 11: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments We CANNOT become like the Republic of China. No no no non nooooooooooooo


message 12: by Ninja (new)

Ninja (ninjafanpire) | 51 comments Jayda wrote: "Yes, I agree. The government is trying to take away our freedoms one by one, it seems. No, I haven't, what is it?"

It's a documentary type movie and it talks about how scientists who even suggest that Intelligent Design may be possible have lost their jobs and stuff. I mean, isn't science about discovery? But people aren't being allowed to express what they think. Some people in the movie had their faces hidden because they were worried they might lose their job because they believe Intelligent Design could be possible.


message 13: by The New Maria (new)

The New Maria (emeraldmaria) | 1950 comments Can someone summarize that for me. My brain isn't working.


message 14: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Summarize what part?


message 15: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Oh man, I can't even click on it because its Glenn Beck link. That guy is so full of shit I'm surprised it doesn't flow out of his ears as well as his mouth.


message 16: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Why do you say that?


message 17: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Jayda wrote: "Why do you say that?"

I think he literally, might be crazy.


message 18: by Jayda (new)

Jayda He's predicted a lot of stuff that's begun happening such as the crashing economy, the housing bubble which helped the economy crash and because of that the price and worth of gold would sky-rocket, which is has, he predicted that the stock market would go below 7500, which is did. He aslo said that President Bush and then Obama saying how much bailout would cost a certain amount that it would cost much more, trillions, and he was right.

Believe it or not about two years before 9/11 he predicted it happening. Not the day it happened, but he predicted that it would happen, that there would be bodies on the streets and buildings on fire and he was very specific about Bin Laden. There's loads more that I could list but these are just a main few. He may seem crazy, but he's also been right every time.


message 19: by Davis (last edited May 09, 2009 03:32PM) (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments He doesn't come up with these things on his own, I hope you realize. Shit tons of economists predicted the crash, as well as the fall of the housing markets. Hell, me as a freshmen predicted that. The banks lending policies were seriously retarded. None of his economic or political predictions are unique.

Many also predicted a terrorist attack around 9/11 as well. Haven't you seen the Zeitgeist? hahahaha.

I still think he's crazy, ignorant, and irresponsible.

Edit: Here are some examples of his craziness

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/mediacu...

http://pushingrope.blogspot.com/2009/...

http://crooksandliars.com/2007/11/06/...


message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"It's a documentary type movie and it talks about how scientists who even suggest that Intelligent Design may be possible have lost their jobs and stuff. I mean, isn't science about discovery? But people aren't being allowed to express what they think. Some people in the movie had their faces hidden because they were worried they might lose their job because they believe Intelligent Design could be possible."

Because any scientist that thinks that is obviously not thinking critically and objectively. There is no proof that could sway one, unless one already believes it anyway.


message 21: by Emma the Dork (new)

Emma the Dork (cheesehead) i dont even want to click on those links. just from what chan said, and what i know about how horrible the chinese republic is, i am already too afraid.


message 22: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Jayda wrote: "He's predicted a lot of stuff that's begun happening such as the crashing economy, the housing bubble which helped the economy crash and because of that the price and worth of gold would sky-rocket..."

When people predict all those kinds of things beforehand, i think they did them.


message 23: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments crazy.


message 24: by Dan (new)

Dan The Glenn Beck program presents more truth behind America's march to socialism.

I read this far into the link: "The Glenn Beck program presents more truth behind America's march to socialism." At this point, I feel comfortable dismissing the rest of it as a crock of shit.

Regulations of the airwaves are intended to protect people from hegemonic corporate domination of information. The airwaves are a public resource, and people who want to use them are indebted to the public, which is why they have to meet meager requirements to get broadcasting licenses. These requirements are mandated by the government because government is the vehicle for collective, public action. Of the people, by the people, for the people, yes?

We live in a golden age of free speech. We have the fucking Internet! In countries like Iran and China, the repressive governments are having difficulty stymieing free speech because communications technology is so widespread. You can't make it five minutes through talk radio or an op-ed page without hearing that the government is controlling speech, which is usually a good sign that the government is not controlling speech.


message 25: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Glenn Beck is one of the biggest fucks on this planet.


message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I was talking to my Mom and she said that Mr. President was trying to take away freedom of speech he is also trying to make it so that people can't have guns in there home, how are we suppost to pertect ourselves if someone breaks into your house? She also said that he was saying that when my Grandpa turns 60 and if he gets really sick Mr.President would just let him die! I want to send him a letter and tell him what I think he should do!!!! Do you like the President?


message 27: by Dan (new)

Dan Your Mom doesn't know what she is talking about.


message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizgore) | 3163 comments you are BRAINWASHED. think for yourself.

my mom says when i die i will come to this place filled with rainbows and unicorns.


message 29: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"how are we suppost to pertect ourselves if someone breaks into your house?"

Guns when kept in a house have the ammo locked in another cabinet. How the hell would that help you in that situation if you had to go unlock your gun and bullets to even use them/


message 30: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Lauren - our gun is loaded, but it has a lock on it with a key that my mom and dad keep. A lot of people leave their guns loaded.


message 31: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Lauren wrote: ""how are we suppost to pertect ourselves if someone breaks into your house?"

Guns when kept in a house have the ammo locked in another cabinet. How the hell would that help you in that situation i..."



Good point, my grandparents keep theirs in the basement. We don't have any, because, it doesn't make sense to have them in the suburbs, that,. and I don't think that a) My parents could shoot if they tried and b) My parents agree with having guns.



message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
"995786 Lauren - our gun is loaded, but it has a lock on it with a key that my mom and dad keep. A lot of people leave their guns loaded."

Again, if someone broke your door down, you wouldn't have enough time to go get the key then unlock your gun.

A loaded gun in a house with children? Very stupid idea. Guns can go off accidentally.


message 33: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments Okay, so I asked. (weird how my parents are used to me prancing into the kitchen and asking "What do you think of gun control?")

My mom says she can understand hunting, but not having handguns or semi-automatic weapons. I'm going to infer that she would have supposted town gun bans in places like Oak Park and other suburbs.

I happen to disagree....weird.


message 34: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments g2g, Cousin's here!


message 35: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Lauren wrote: ""995786 Lauren - our gun is loaded, but it has a lock on it with a key that my mom and dad keep. A lot of people leave their guns loaded."

Again, if someone broke your door down, you wouldn't have..."


Only if you don't hide them from the children.

My mom keeps hers right by her bed, so depending on where she is, she could very easily get the gun before the attacker got to her. It depends on the situation.


message 36: by Jayda (new)

Jayda It also depends on the gun, though, on whether or not you should keep it loaded.


message 37: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Jayda, I know nothing about where you live, but I'm going to assume it's a pretty nice area, right?


message 38: by Jayda (new)

Jayda No, it's not actually a really great area. In fact, the cops came to the house across the street today. It's better than some areas, but it's worse than others.


message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
So? Cops cruise around town all the time. That's normal security.


message 40: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Okay, well I'm going to go back this essay I wrote last year about gun control and grab some statistics. Please argue with them, if you would.


message 41: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Lauren wrote: "So? Cops cruise around town all the time. That's normal security. "

They were called to the house for a disturbance, not just cruising around town. And they NEVER come to our neighborhood unless they're called.


message 42: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments On an average day, more than a million Americans are carrying guns outside their workplace.
Two million more keep guns in their cars and trucks.

In 1968, Congress banned the importation of cheap, poorly made handguns known as
"Saturday Night Specials" or junk guns. No such regulations were applied to guns made
at home. Since then, production and sales of American-made handguns have increased
dramatically.

You are more likely to be shot dead by your own gun than defend yourself.




message 43: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Are those the stats you wanted me to argue with?


message 44: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments You don't really need to argue with them, I just want to know why you think gun ownership is such a great idea.


message 45: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Well, let me type up a response (sorry if it doesn't get posted for a while - I may have to go soon) and find some stats to go with those, if I can/have the time :)


message 46: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I'm not going to listen to any of your stats. This is something that I so firmly believe in, I won't be swayed. Things like Columbine and Virgina Tech could have been prevented if Pro-gun hillbillies would just shut up and allow for an honest interpertation of the Constitution.


message 47: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Then there's no need to respond, is there?


message 48: by Marley (new)

Marley (Marleyme95) | 5270 comments True...but those were cases were the people shooting were insane. The laws are screwed up.


message 49: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments Jayda wrote: "Then there's no need to respond, is there?"


I don't really see how you can defend laws that allow people like that access to firearms. Aren't guns a bad thing?



message 50: by Jayda (new)

Jayda When they are used for bad purposes, yes they are a bad thing. Would you consider defending yourself a bad thing?


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top