Runs with scissors discussion

general topic > How many books at once?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments I am currently in the process of reading 4 books. I only just finished 3 others so I was reading 7 at once.

I get into moods and as they change so does the book I am reading.

message 2: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited May 13, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
I read several at a time. Sometimes it is 1 chapter from each, round-robin style, others are which room I am in. Lately, because I'm not working, I can read about a book day. When I'm working, it takes about 3 days. If I am reading manga, I can average several in a few hours depending on how involved they are with dialog verus action.

message 3: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments When I have access to books, I usually have two or three going at a time. [The library system here is awful:] Usually in a different genre. One at home, one for work and one in the bathroom,

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments Kim wrote: "I read several at a time. Sometimes it is 1 chapter from each, round-robin style, others are which room I am in. Lately, because I'm not working, I can read about a book day. When I'm working, it..."

That is so me too! I have stacks of books in several of my rooms and 2 in my car.

message 5: by Narzain, The Minister of Awesome (new)

Narzain | 75 comments Mod
Right now, um, seven counting Storm Front. Usually only 1 or 2 at a time, plus whatever I read during lunch at work. Oh, wait, that brings it up to eight... Eek.

message 6: by KarenLee (new)

KarenLee I only read one and a time. I'm a very linear person (to the extreme). I have occasionally tried to do 2 books at a time, 1 fiction and one non-fiction, but invariably I never finish the non-fiction book, just keep picking up another fiction.

message 7: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Up until a couple od days ago I only ever read one book at a time,then ,I had an epithany that I could get more reading done if I added books so here is what I did
BEDSIDE BOOK-something Gentle
BOOKCLUB BOOK-to read in afternoon/evening when at home
HANDBAG BOOK-something that I`ve been wanting to read but picked it up a bit battered so not to worried if it gets a bit more creased
FRIDAY NIGHT-Moby Dick,as have wanted to read it for ages and Husband will be out from start of year so will have uninterrupted peace!!

I am open to suggestions as this is a new style of reading for me....

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments Sounds like you have a system down! I am more of an emotional reader. I like to read depending on how I am feeling. That covers everything from CS Lewis to technical books.

message 9: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments 5peasinapod wrote: "Sounds like you have a system down! I am more of an emotional reader. I like to read depending on how I am feeling. That covers everything from CS Lewis to technical books. "

Emotionally I will be connected through my Bedsite Book and handbag book as I usually find something in my books that takes me to my next book,that is the only drawback to Bookgroups for me as I do love to be led into a book from a book.It makes it a magical mystery tour....

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments Oh I so get carried away into other books after I read a good one. How can you not follow a literary lead? I love these book groups. They are great for finding a new treasure, but just recently I stepped away for a few months due to school and pursuing a few great books that were not already on my tbr pile.

message 11: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments 5peasinapod wrote: "Oh I so get carried away into other books after I read a good one. How can you not follow a literary lead? I love these book groups. They are great for finding a new treasure, but just recently I s..."

I am so relieved that I am not the only person that does this!!!
BIG GRIN........

message 12: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

That's why I can't listen to audio book and drive. I get too caught up. 5peasinapod- good to see you back! I missed our discussions!:)

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments I'm taking two lit courses and have been swamped. I snuck in a few fun reads and am seriously jonzing to sink into some new ones. I just picked up Angels and Demons. I only glanced at the first few pages and it looks great! We'll see...

message 14: by DJ (new)

DJ  (djdivaofjava) | 95 comments Angels and Demons is pretty good.It will break you on Gently

message 15: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

My mom saw the movie. She likes "The DaVinci Code" movie as well, but she has not read the books. She's a good one for that. She only reads a few select authors when she reads at all. Me, I read the books and see the movies. But, then again, I read an average of 6 books/week....