Terminalcoffee discussion

Sharing Time: > the new large screen Kindle ->Define "fix typos in books", -> textbook ripoffs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 06, 2009 04:50PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Damn, this looks cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Amazo...

I read something today that said a kindle or kindle-esque device will probably start to replace textbooks soon. That would be awesome. I can't believe how much textbook companies charge students. They should be ashamed of themselves, picking on a captive audience with required reading assignments.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bah!

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Bah ha!

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Isn't this the mega kindle

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sometimes, you know, it helps to explore a little about something before you speak of it:)

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I'm with you on that, Ko. I was just telling someone today that the only reason I haven't bought one is that I get 90% of my books from the library. You can check out a kindle from the library, but there's a long line. Jacks, you guys check out kindles, right?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My wife just asked me this week if I wanted one. I told her I would pass on it for now. But I can see where they would be an advantage, but I like actual books.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I'd end up reading some things on kindle and some on regular books. I wouldn't want to give up regular books either, Jim. It's an interesting issue.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, and what would I put on the book shelves?

message 10: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I'm so torn! It's amazing but I do love the bookness of my books. Absolutely for text books, though! Those things are heavy!

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You could collect these, Jim:

http://toughpigs.com/uploaded_images/...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Nope, no Kindles to be had from my library system. Maybe up in King County where Lori is, but not my rural library district. We do have downloadable AUDIO books, though, which you download to your computer and then onto your mp3 player.

With the way the budget is this year, we aren't getting any new gadgets. Too bad, I'd love to have Playaways (pre-loaded mp3 players with one dedicated book on them) with teen books on them, so teens wouldn't have to own an mp3 player first. Plus, no CDs to be damaged.

But now is NOT the time to introduce a new format. We are scaling back, not expanding. Bleah.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) That's what they said about the horseless carriage, Cinnabon.

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori I've said it before and I'll say it til the cows come home. I want a book. A physical book. It's a whole sensory experience. The smell, the feel, the sound of the page turning.

Sincerely,

Your Old Curmudgeon aka the just don't make them like they used to back in MY day!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I really want one. My best friend has one and she has not stopped reading real books either. Some books she reads on Kindle and some she reads in hard copy. But she also travels a lot, so it's good for her. And when she's overseas she can't get as many books in English without it, so that's a bonus for her too.

Cinnamon, it doesn't read your books for you. You still get to do the actual reading.

If they released one for textbooks (or had textbooks available on the existing Kindle) it would pay for itself in one semester.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Cinnamon wrote: "Books are different from carriages."

Oh.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments If they released one for textbooks (or had textbooks available on the existing Kindle) it would pay for itself in one semester.

Exactly. I hardly ever ask my students to buy textbooks anymore, because I can get them most of the material in handouts or online, and the books are just soooo expensive...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Textbooks would be a great application, but for the rest I have to agree with Lori.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Something I heard on the radio the other day makes me think that Kindle versions of textbooks may indeed be in the works. It would certainly make sense, and save on lugging those heavy textbook around for the students, too.

message 20: by Cosmic Sher (last edited May 06, 2009 05:20PM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I also "love the bookness of my books", as you so elegantly put it Gretchen, but I also am itching for a Kindle. When you don't have space for books and they all end up getting damaged or sold anyway for the cramped non-spaceness available, this is a great alternative. I just wish they weren't so darn-tootin' expensive!

Sadly, I loved all my text books in real life because you can underline & highlight & write comments in the margins. Can't do that on a Kindle.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori Let's hear it for papyrus!

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments "love the bookness of my books"

that was my favorite line of the day (well, besides "that what she said"

message 23: by Sarah (last edited May 06, 2009 05:37PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Cosmic Sherrie wrote: "Sadly, I loved all my text books in real life because you can underline & highlight & write comments in the margins. Can't do that on a Kindle."

Yes, you can. There are buttons to push to highlight and mark and you can type comments that attach to the document just like with a word processor.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments or use a sharpie

message 25: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments My co-worker has one and it's pretty sweet. I don't like change.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments it would just be one more thing for me to break

message 27: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 347 comments I love my Kindle, but I only ever use it while traveling, otherwise it's old-fashioned pulp for me. RA, if your library has an Overdrive Virtual Branch then I'm pretty sure you can rent books to your Kindle (or any other e-reader). At least that's what their developer told me last year, I still have yet to test it.

message 28: by Cosmic Sher (last edited May 06, 2009 06:45PM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Sarah, you just made my day! ::jumps up & down with giddiness:: (And made me sad all at the same time) I think there is room in this world for both the new-fangled gatchetry and ye ole calfskin scrolls.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It's even better, in fact, than traditional highlighting, because you don't have to thumb through your pages to find highlighted passages. You can just have the Kindle take you directly from highlighted passage to highlighted passage.

Same with endnotes, or looking up words in the dictionary or encyclopedia. You just click "back" when you're done and it takes you right back to the spot in the book where you left off. No more reading with two bookmarks.

message 30: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Oh my. That makes me almost orgasmic. Yup, going on my Bday list... right..... now. ::scribble scribble::

message 31: by RandomAnthony (last edited May 07, 2009 06:03AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I'm with Sherrie here on that I would like to use both...although like Kevin, I'd be terrified to break it...

Am I the only one who has highlighted passages in books then spent prodigious amounts of time paging through the book, trying to find that exact passage? Sometimes I can even remember what part of the page it's on, but if the book is long, I still have to page through for a while...

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i think they make cool neoprene sleeves and such for them. different ways to help protect although if i get one that is "kevin proof" it will be hard for me to see the words through the layers of bubble wrap

message 33: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I NEVER highlight books. (except school books) Not sure why. I think it was drilled into me as a kid not to draw in them or something and I've never recovered.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Highlighting doesn't help me learn what's in the book. When I go back and reread, I just think "hm, this section is pretty. Wonder why I thought it was so great." And I'm enamored with the words on the other page.

I write in them all the time,however. And fix typos when I find them.

message 35: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i found a typo on an ipod app. it is a "currency" convertor not a "currnecy" convertor. sheesh.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah. sort of a hinky app so it was foretelling

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

"hinky"?

message 38: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments weird or wrong

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I fix typos in books, too, if there aren't so many of them I think "why bother?"

message 40: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Define "fix typos in books", please. Like you actually take a pen and fix the typo?

message 41: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hinky is an excellent word. I'm just saying ....

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

When Sweeter finds typos in books he HOOTS and makes me come look at it. He doesn't fix them, like I do. He doesn't write in books.

message 43: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hooting.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Define "fix typos in books", please. Like you actually take a pen and fix the typo?"

I take a pencil and carefully write over the incorrect letters.
I love Sweeter's sense of humor. :D

message 45: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What if you take the hooting pleasure away from future readers, Jackie? Must you deny future readers of that joy?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I only do it to my own books, RA, so Sweeter and other hooters are safe.
I myself enjoy typos in the newspaper quite frequently. Recently, one columnist wrote about wiling away the weekend...

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Newspapers are the wurst.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I have a friend who edited her brother's self-published fitness book. They included a foreward that said something along the lines of "We have added strategically placed typos since we have friends who take pleasure in finding them." I thought it was a fun yet lame attempt to cover all bases when the inevitable typos were found.

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

I had a roomate once who just adored finding typos in the morning Oregonian. She actually put it on a list of favorite things, once, "typos in the paper". It was adorable.

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't fix typo's in books but i call my daughter (who calls me when she finds one) and we do a concerted eye roll. she is a librarian also and it makes her crazy when she sees one. i don't write in books and i am nutty about someone dog-earing a page OR laying down a book open face down. if it is my book i will pick it up and put something in for a book mark. i do find it interesting seeing notes in library books that i am reading as they always seem so cryptic

« previous 1