Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
This topic is about The Name of the Wind
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > The Name of the Wind / Fantasy Casting Call

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (last edited Jul 14, 2013 06:22PM) (new)

John (johnred) Alright, I think we're far enough into the book that we can start casting it. Get Hollywood on the phone! :)

My picks:
Present-Day Kvothe: Hugh Jackman Michael Fassbender
Bast: Satya Bhabha
Chronicler: John Hannah

Kvothe's Mom: Orla Brady
Kvothe's Dad: Kevin McKidd
Young Kvothe: Calum Worthy
Abenthy: Jonathan Pryce

Trapis: McKenzie Crook
Skarpi: Kevin McNally

Wilem: Jason Schwartzman, circa 1998
Manet: Phillip S. Hoffman

message 2: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Okay, I'm going to have to think mine through a bit more (this is a really cool idea!) but I know that when I first read about Abenthy, a certain actor came to mind for some reason.

Present day Kvothe: Domhnall Gleeson (I think he'd need to bulk up a bit, but Kvothe is meant to look younger than his years, right?)
Abenthy: Ben Kingsley
Auri: Evanna Lynch

Interesting choice for Trapis! I always saw McKenzie Crook as a pretty creepy looking guy, in comparison to Trapis' very caring side. That said, I imagined Trapis to look very much like Lord Varys from Game of Thrones, and he's not the nicest of characters either! I don't remember whether he was skinny or pudgy - just the bare feet and the robe =)

message 3: by John (new)

John (johnred) Oh your Kvothe is much better! I had settled on Jackman but wasn't entirely satisfied with him.

Yeah, with Trapis I was picturing him being almost as ragged and downtrodden as the kids he cares for...Crook is definitely typecast as creepy, but somehow I can picture him as being sad and gentle as well.

Nick I have to disagree with Hugh Jackman, he is too jacked,(he will always remind me of Wolverine now) I picture him as skinnier more of a Micheal Fassbender with red hair.

message 5: by John (new)

John (johnred) Oh you know what, Fassbender was also on my short list but I forgot about him. OK, Jackman is out. Sayonara Logan.

Britt (readrising) Michael Fassbender as Kvothe is an idea I really really like. I think Misha Collins as Bast would be lovely. Or maybe Jamie Campbell Bower with dark hair. I'm really curious about the actual TV show casting, though.

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mmmm, I would go for Mr Fassbender... =)

Jennifer (desdinova) Misha Collins as Bast... I like it!

message 9: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just found this post on Buzzfeed! What do you think?

Michael Watts (Flamingonads) I can imagine most of them as the characters, besides Kvothe and Chronicler... I thought Chronicler was like mid twenties? Not about 90...

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Rinn wrote: "Just found this post on Buzzfeed! What do you think?"

Love the drawing rendition of Kvothe in the article!!! But between Redmayne and Fassbender, I think I'd go for Fassbender.

message 12: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Very interesting

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments As per the upcoming TV series...
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/cast...

Some very good cast ideas!

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha I went to school with Simmon ;)

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Whoa....Was he nice?

message 16: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

I didn't really know him but I remember him being mobbed in the canteen by all the year 7s when the film came out :P

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments That must have been a pain!

message 18: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Theres always a part of you that hates them for being in a film like that ☺

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Well, I know when I get mobbed my adoring teen fans, it is always a real pain....

Does anyone know when this series is supposed to come out? I'm already excited!

message 20: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Possibly on the never never. Its only optioned so far I think

message 21: by Leigh (last edited Feb 01, 2015 12:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Bummer. I was wondering how well it would translate to a series style show with major cliffhangers and what-not. It could be really good, or it could fall flat. Hmmm.

message 22: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Its a dangerous one. I think it would work as a miniseries but not dragged out to ten hours per book like GoT. its just too different and generally lacking the big fights and battles

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments Exactly my thoughts. There is a lot of ambience and details that work great in a book, but for a series that has to grab watchers and keep them on the edge of their seats? Not sure.

message 24: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Very true. It would be a hard sell beyond the fan base. It keeps describing the potentisl series as the next GoT but the books are completely different so the comparison is silly

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments I would see it more as a movie, à la Lord of the Rings. Lots of beautiful filmography, scenery, moodiness, and the final confrontation with the lizard at the end, that sort of thing.

message 26: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Could work. Now ring the producers ☺

Leigh Stuart | 168 comments I got this!

message 28: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 3568 comments Mod
Two thumbs up ☺