Runs with scissors discussion

Book Group Reading > Hitchhicker's guide to the galaxy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments I'm only 50 pages into and gotta say, it's a pretty interesting read.

It's amazing how the author is light on the descriptions of the characters, but you get a good sense of them. Great character development! Some authors ramble on for a few paragraphs for something that is equally described in 2 sentences.

Had to chuckle when he had that guy lie in front of the bulldozer while they went to go throw back a few beers!

Tonight I'll actually have a chunk of time to sink my eyes into it.

message 2: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 629 comments Mod
I love how Arthur stomps through the house and how he sees the bulldozers and then conects the word "yellow" long before he actually realizes what is going on.

I use "beware of the leopard" to describe what I feel should have been something discused out in the open and not hidden away "in a dis-used lavatory".

I agree with your observation re: Adams' style of "you get the point" without his being wordy *cough* Tolkien *cough*.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments Now now...I adore the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit. I only felt that a few sections (such as the songs and heritage of the different species) kwim? Now I do think that Stephen King is great, but in some of his books he uses several pages to describe how someone looks...don't get me wrong I love the King (just look at my bookshelf)

I am almost half way done with the Hitchhickers Guide. I'm hoping to get in done tonight!

message 4: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited May 07, 2009 08:13AM) (new)

I can't wait for you to finish it so I can get your opinion on the whole book. (By the by, love the Hobbit, read the other 3, but they didn't do much for me. Don't know why, love the genre, just not those. Oh, well that's another discussion on it's own. But, sticking to the subject at hand, let me know if you want to read the other 4 books in the Hitchikers series (not right away, but as future selections.)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments Yup finished it. Very quick read. If the other ones are like it we could have these wrapped up by the weekend lol!

Did you already read the others? I just need to snag em from my library. I have to know the deal with his brain and the back story to that.

I just love Ford and Zaphord (sp?) outlook on things, very cheeky and funny.

I think I would have preferred it with all of the books in the series in one volume. I just felt that this was so light as in a quick read. Maybe I am just used to the 600+ page books!

We could just have a different thread for each of the books and people could read them at their own pace. Unless you want to stick with monthly reads.

But I don't know if I can associate myself with someone that didn't (doesn't) truly appreciate the LOTR trilogy. How about I over look this little faux pas and you forgive my spelling ;)

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Thomas (5peasinapod) | 20 comments Oh I have to say that my favorite dialogue bit was when they were getting shot at by the police and the police started complaining and they said something to the effect that they had their own problems with being shot at and their complaining made it difficult to cope.

I'm left to wonder what kind of planet would I choose.

message 7: by Kim, Wild-eyed Bibliomaniac (last edited May 08, 2009 09:40PM) (new)

To answer your first question, yes, I have already read the other books in the series, but I have no problem re-reading them when we decide to read them for a group read. Just let me know when you wish to contiue. Secondly, if you can forgive my spelling, we'll be fine. As far as books go, I quote my boyfriend "Everyone's mileage may vary". I have loved a lot of books that others didn't and vice versa. As long as we can all agree to keep this friendly and not turn this into verbal boxing matches, I think we will do just fine.

As for seperate threads, that is what I had in mind. I don't intend to set time limits on group reads as each person will read at their own pace. I read faster than most of my friends, so I read books first then pass them on. I am also taking into consideration that some will have to wait for library editions to be made available.

We can do 1 a month, or just carry on at our pace of what we see fit. If you would like a chance to read some of your new library books, please, by all means do so. I would like a chance to finish what I just got so I have time to re-read our next book,"Storm Front" by Jim Butcher. Just let me know when you get your copy and we'll take it a few chapters at a time.

P.S.There are omnibus editions with all 5 books available.

message 8: by A. (new)

A. | 59 comments I loved "Hitchhiker's Guide." It was a light read and very funny. I never could get the hang of Thursday.