Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Books Need Separating

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/87...

The two editions of this book are two different books. What Every American should Know about Who's really Running running the world is isbn 0452286158 it's a 430 page book.

What Every American Should Know about Who's Really Running America is ISBN 9780452288201 and is 287 page book. Very different books by the Same Author with similar titles but she's written an entire series that begins with What Every American Should Know in the Title. Is there anyway you could separate these books?

message 2: by Eva Marie (last edited May 03, 2009 12:20PM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I just seperated them and am making sure the other info is correct now. :)

Jenn, the page numbers you gave for the books- is that for paperback or hardback?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Paperback, the larger size paperback, not the small size that most fiction paperbacks are. I know there's a word for each size, but they aren't coming to mind right now. Thanks. I appreciate it. :)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
Commonly called trade paperbacks?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Are those the ones that are generally the same size as a hardcover but with a paperback cover instead? If so yes. I think the smaller ones are Mass Market and the bigger ones are Trade but I tend to confuse them. But these ones are the bigger size of the two.

message 6: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I think that is what she's talking about. I don't think we use the technical terms though if I remember correctly right rivka?
I left these both as paperback so it should be okay.
Oh- how proud I am! Someone actually needed something I knew how to do and I was able to do it! :)

message 7: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Jenn wrote: "Paperback, the larger size paperback, not the small size that most fiction paperbacks are. I know there's a word for each size, but they aren't coming to mind right now. Thanks. I appreciate it. :)"

Thanks for getting back Jenn!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

You're very welcome :) Thanks for the help :)

message 9: by Eva Marie (last edited May 03, 2009 04:03PM) (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Jenn wrote: "Are those the ones that are generally the same size as a hardcover but with a paperback cover instead? If so yes. I think the smaller ones are Mass Market and the bigger ones are Trade but I tend..."

rivka knows much more about this than I do but I think you are right. I sort my books here at home mostly by size and I keep the two paperbacks, trade and mass market, seperate. But I have seem some extremely large PB and I always have wondered if those were also called trade or if they had a whole other name!

We stopped putting 'trade' in the listings- I just checked and for what we're talking about we're only using paperback, hardback, and mass market.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I sort fiction by type - hardcover, big paperback (since I'm not certain I'm right lol) and then small paperback. Except classic they're separated from the rest of the fiction. Then I sort non fiction by writing, personal growth, reference and research. And I even go further to separate my research by topic. That almost sounds anally organized, but it's matter of getting everything put away where it should be and finding bookshelf space for it all that makes it look very not organized.

message 11: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I would LOVE to be that organized to be honest! I do have my true crimes seperate because nine times out of ten they're mass markets. I only have one or two HB that are true crime.
The only others that I have seperate are the ones I keep and don't give away and they only have one shelf on one bookcase because I rarely ever keep any anymore. I have to LOVE them..or they have to be signed at least! LOL

message 12: by Lilla (last edited May 03, 2009 04:34PM) (new)

Lilla (readallover) | 2 comments Hi, I'm a librarian and I've been trying to solve this same issue with two other books, but I can't find out how to un-combine two books.

The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth by John Michael Greer
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64... is currently combined with The Druid Magic Handbook: Ritual Magic Rooted in the Living Earth by John Michael Greer http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... but they are two completely different books.

I guess someone else can fix this if they wish, though I would really like to be told how so in case I have this problem again, I can fix it.

Many advanced thanks!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I get rid of a lot of mine as I read them but I tend to acquire mass quantities at once so it's the getting to reading them all and now I'm kind of at the point where I don't remember what I've read and what I haven't so pretty much everything I own is in my to be read pile. Well except for the massive quantities I'm listing on swap sites. I think I bought around a thousand this weekend in multiple community rummage sales. I'm planning to keep to read about 30 the rest I got in deals, so much for all they had and I'm posting those to be traded for something I want to read... though it will probably sit here a while before it actually gets read. I'm working on using this site to keep track of what I have, what I want, what I've ordered and what I have listed and where. It's just a very slow process of getting it all in there where it should be. I think if I had a month to just sit here and do only that I might have it caught up to where I want it lol.

message 14: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Teresa wrote: "Hi, I'm a librarian and I've been trying to solve this same issue with two other books, but I can't find out how to un-combine two books.

The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Liv..."

Teresa, you should be able to do it like this- go to the authors page and click on the 'combine editions' link. When you get there scroll down to the first book title you mentioned and underneath that, where you see the other title, the one NOT supposed to be combined you can click on 'seperate' which is at the very end of THAT book title. That should seperate them just fine. I won't do it so you can. :)

JG (Introverted Reader) | 480 comments Teresa, go to the author's combine page. Find the books you're looking at. At the end of the title stuff, you'll see "details/separate." Click on separate for one of the books and that's all you have to do!

message 16: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I would also consider putting in a brief comment in the librarian comment section because obviously another librarian thought these were one and the same. It should prevent it (hopefully) from happening again. :)

message 17: by Lilla (new)

Lilla (readallover) | 2 comments Eva, thank you. I've fixed the problem and I'm glad I know how to do that now :)

Thank you JG as well.

message 18: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Someone recently explained to me (I think it was not here but elsewhere online) that while the larger paperbacks are commonly called trade paperbacks, technically trades are not a different size (necessarily) but a different quality of paper. But most non-publishers I know use the term just to mean the larger size of paperback.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Rivka, It was some thread here, or in Feedback, one or the other. I remembered but decided to keep quiet. I still think of the large paperbacks as trades, even if that's not accurate.

message 20: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Was it here? (I think it may actually have been here AND elsewhere, not that I ponder it.)

Yeah, as I am not a publisher-type, I'm sticking with calling the large-size trades too. 95+% of people will mean the same thing I do by the term, I figure.

message 21: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments I remember hearing that also rivka. I didn't remember until you said it though because, like Lisa, trades are the bigger size pb's to me still. I must have seen the same thread because I can't imagine where else I'd have seen that.

message 22: by Eva Marie (new)

Eva Marie (evamarie3578) | 755 comments Teresa wrote: "Eva, thank you. I've fixed the problem and I'm glad I know how to do that now :)

Thank you JG as well."

You're welcome!