Next Next discussion

Next, by Michael Crichton

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Jan 28, 2008 02:25AM) (new)

Debbie Dupire-Nelson Anyone reading this one yet? I am....
Fast paced? yes.
Does it jump around a bit? yes.
Would I recommend it?
You bet!
5 STARS

Mircea I'm trying to get through this one right now, picked up the translated version about a month ago but haven't been able to go past the 30th page. It's a bit jumpy and I've got a weird schedule these days and wasn't able to keep up with it. Hope to get a chance to plow through it on a weekend.

message 3: by Hank (new)

Hank I read that book and found it to be a good read, the author used many authentic characters and it had a very original storyline, I haven't ever read a book written quite like that, and I enjoyed the different writing style.

Kandice I like everythin he wrote, but I have to admit this was my least favorite. The idea was great, but like Mircea said, it was a bit jumpy, uneven. I had started it on a Monday, and during the week, get only small snatches of time to read. I couldn't really finish, and enjoy it until I had a much larger chunk of uninterupted time to just READ it. Once I did, though, it was a great story.

Vickie I listened to this book and it jumped around so much I never knew where it was going next. I think if I had read it I could have looked back and got the gist of it a little quicker. I was relieved when I finally finished listening to it.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| It took me 4 months to get to page 222 which is not normal. It has been a disappointing read so far with bad language, vulgar characters and an implausible plotline including a human parrot and a chimp boy fighting for space with normal (?) humans. I miss all the old books where science went wrong but somehow there was hope in the end. This book seems to be a bitter memory of researchers gone bad...and there seems to be no hero so far!! Oh where's Ian Malcolm? :P

Oh and I am still thinking of reading till the last page...

Eric Mesa St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]usheen, pictures, pictures wrote: "It took me 4 months to get to page 222 which is not normal. It has been a disappointing read so far with bad language, vulgar characters and an implausible plotline including a human parrot and a c..."

Yeah, I feel like this is his most disjointed book and is a little bit too preachy.

William This was Crichton's worst book by far. It was terrible. If you want to enjoy this author's best work, you have to read "Jurassic Park", "Congo" & "Sphere". I also really liked "Eaters of the Dead".

Robin This book was okay for me. Not his all time best. Congo was kind of too detail-oriented for me. Never have read Eaters of the Dead.

Charity Andromeda Strain was good too but my favorite book by Crichton is Sphere, hands down.

Robin The movie Andromeda Strain was good, too. Never read Sphere.

David I found this one of his weakest novels - the best would have to be Jurassic Park :)

message 13: by Aaron (new) - added it

Aaron Mollenkopf I found Next to be a weak read also. It seemed to me he had nothing too exciting since Timeline. Prey was ok, but State of Fear and Next, and even Pirate Lattitudes left a lot to be desired. Classics like Jurassic Park, Sphere, and Timeline are excellent.

بشآئر I couldn't complete this novel

Kirby I liked it- not as much as his others, but I found this subject matter to be among the most important he's ever addressed. were it not for this book, I still would have no clue that patents are being issued for human genes! is no one else outraged and freaked out by this?!

Jenni I loved how everything was all jumpy and chopped into different perspectives because in the end everything comes together beautifully. Things that seem inconsequential in the beginning turn out to be important or lead to something else important. Everyone and everything comes together to lead up to the final conclusion, which is where all of the perspectives meld into one another and fit perfectly. Everything had a purpose: the parrot, the boy-chimp, the bounty hunters, the medical examiners in the morgue and their mal-practice. They seemed random and unimportant until the very end where you finally realize that everything was dependent on everything else. It was fantastic and I really liked the plot; I'm a fan of weird genetics, lol. :D