Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > I DID IT!!!! ****Updated 4/28/10****

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Just wanted to share with all the girls!!!.... I got my acceptance letter Thursday night when I got home.......... I got into the doctorate program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My son had to peel me off the ceiling Thursday night...lol...... Classes start Aug 17........ guess I really need to use the next three months to get all my enjoyment reading done, huh???

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Wow Kat, Congratulations!

*doing the happy dance*

:)

message 3: by Thauna (new)

Thauna Congratulations!!! That is so awesome!

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
YAY for you! Thats wonderful news.

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli That is GREAT news Kat! I'm thrilled for you!!!!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Thanks ya'll!! I just saw an older thread on here when I was working on the essays for the application process back in January...... things are finally coming to fruition!

Ya'll will just have to keep me motivated when I come on here between studying asking why in the hell I ever did it.......lol

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli We sure will Kat...anything you need! I'm very excited for you. What does this mean for your career now? Explain it all to us.......

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Way to go Kat! So proud of you :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Yay Kat! I'm so happy for you & proud of you! Thank you for sharing and inspiring us!

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlllucas) | 12 comments Congratulations Kat!! This is awesome!! Good luck to you!! You can do this!!! :)

message 11: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Kat that is so exciting...good job!! :)

message 12: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (chill77) Congrats, Kat!! How exciting!

message 13: by Erika (new)

Erika A big huge CONGRATULATIONS!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Well Holli..... lets see..... put me about 30 grand in debt.... no wait...lol

It is a clinical doctorate in nursing. Its "official" title is Doctor of Nursing Practice. It is similar to a PhD in nursing, but instead of focusing on doing research (which I absolutely despise)... it takes the research that has been discovered and actually applies it to clinical nursing. I will also be able to sit for my national certification as an Adult Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. I will still have to do clinicals while I am in school, but it will be at the level of me writing the orders, instead of being the one who just follows the orders.

With the clinical doctorate, the information/research that is applied to clinical nursing can help create and/or update health care policies... changes in the system...and provide better care and outcomes for patients.... I can also teach nursing school or clinicals at some point.

You know me.... I am a cardiac ICU nurse.... and my focus for the nurse practitioner will be in a cardiac ICU.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments And thanks to everyone!!! I will be asking for a psych eval from each and every one of you while I am in the midst of the program...lol

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Wow! Impressive stuff, Kat. Our Chickies are growing up!!!

:)

Seriously, congratulations to you Kat, you certainly deserve all the best.

message 17: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm extremely impressed Kat. I knew you were awesome as a cardiac ICU nurse but this just puts you WAY up there now! I have extreme respect for cardiac ICU nurses---I had several who were a huge part of my recovery after my heart attack so I love that you are furthering your education to provide the best YOU there is to your patients. I'm really proud of you and can't wait to hear all about your journey!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 369 comments congrats kat!!! that is so exciting!! I wish you the best of luck!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments K........... wanted to update.....

Some of you know that I disappeared for a week a couple of weeks ago to go to my week of orientation for school... Classes start next Monday!!!

Also!!!!! This is the exciting part... or to me anyway.... my program director is also over the international studies options..... I GET TO GO TO MEXICO FOR A WEEK!!!! FOR SCHOOL!!!!

It is a collaboration with a school of nursing in Tampico.... we will all meet in Houston, and all fly to Tampico... where we will be met by the faculty and graduate students there.... we get to spend a week in their culture and their health care treating patients, and seeing how health care is there!!

If we go on the trip, it actually counts as some of our clinical hours!! How cool is that?!?!?!

Of course my boys have already made the comment that they "almost died" when I was 4 hours away in the same state.... "how will we survive if you are out of the country?" haha....... ummmm you are 20 and 18... your grown... you will be ok!

message 20: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh my god Kat that is FANTASTIC!!!!! How exciting, I'm thrilled for you!!!!

message 21: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
That's wonderful Kat! How exciting

Elizabeth (Alaska) It just keeps getting better and better!

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa That's fantastic!

message 24: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Such wonderful work for you to be proud of!

Happy reading! (even if it is for school):D

message 25: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Great news Kat, and a Mexico trip for school...how cool is that! Congratulations!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's fabulous! Congrats!

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Awesome, Kat!! That is so exciting!! Congratulations, you've worked really hard for this!!!!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Thanks girls!!! I'm so excited to get started!!!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments I have figured that it is easier to update on this original thread than to keep making new ones. :)

I am at the end of the second semester! Wow has time flown.... it seems strange that I have almost completed the first year!

This semester was much better than the first.... in that it wasn't as time consuming. I think that it was because the first semester I was trying to get acclimated back into school/student mode.

In one of the classes this semester, we had to come up with a "project position" to help reduce costs in a certain area, then present it to someone at our workplace who could actually implement the project if they thought that it would work......

My position was a "discharge team". We had to do a complete budget, cost analysis and a field visit. The budget/cost analysis that I did focused on helping to reduce hospital readmissions on a certain patient population. The information that I included showed that we could save almost $60,000 per year per patient!! When I had my field visit, I went to our Chief Nursing Officer..... guess what!! She implemented the project on a trial basis, and it has been going on for almost 3 months now, and has prevented 20 readmissions, with a total cost savings of $150,000 in just 3 months!!!! (avg hosp stay is 3 days at $10,000 per stay per pt). She and I are actually looking at trying to take it to another service, and then at the end of the year have the results published and present them at a national conference! Now you know why I have been MIA the last 4 months.

Luckily after I take my last exam on Monday, I will be out for a month, and only have to take 2 classes this summer instead of 3.

message 30: by Holli (new)

Holli That is fantastic Kat! Wow!! That's really cool... thanks for letting us now how you've been!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Kat, this is fabulous news! Yes, it should make national news. Shout it from the rooftops!

message 32: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Glad all is going so well. You should be proud!

message 33: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Ahem, kudos "DR" Kat! ;)

message 34: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3 comments Way to go Kat!!! Good Job!

message 35: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1278 comments That is very awesome Kat. You have so much to be proud of. I hope you will keep us posted as to how it goes.

message 36: by Algo0117 (new)

Algo0117 Gonzalez | 18 comments Congrats! That is AWESOME stuff!!

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Thanks ladies!!!! I was pretty excited when we saw the first set of numbers!

I promise to keep you all updated, if you all promise not to let anyone mess with my "fun" reading time and my sleep for the next month that I have off from school...........Deal???

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Deal! Congrats Kat! That's such great news!