Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #38: Personal Preference

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Do you prefer reading books in hardcover, quality paperback or mass market paperback? Why?

Happity Friday :)

message 2: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) eBook actually, followed by audio and then paperback (though I'm not sure I know the difference between quality paperback or or mass market).

Hardcover is just to heavy, unwieldy, and I tend to drop them on my husband's head in the middle of the night. :D

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Slayton | 27 comments I prefer the quality paperbook for size and ease of reading. It works anywhere!

message 4: by Leighann (new)

Leighann (zhelenstilo) I'd say ebook first, then mass market paperback, then trade paperback, then audio (I love audiobooks, but they take so much more time than just reading the book myself ^_^; ) and finally hardcovers.

For me, it's mostly about ease of carrying around. I prefer things I can stick in my pockets when I'm out and about (like my iPod touch for ebook reading). ^_^

message 5: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) Paperback for sure. I hate carrying around hardcovers. They are fine when I am at home, but when I need a book for the bus or something, paperback in the way to go.

message 6: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments I like a big, giant, brightly colored new release in hardback.

I also LOVE old books I find in people's attics and basements...they smell devine.

message 7: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney (familywithbooks) I prefer quality paperback, then hardcover, my Kindle, then mass market paperback. I just hate the ink that is left on my hands from the mass market!

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateksh) | 741 comments I'm kind of torn between quality pb and hardcover -- there's just something about a hardcover but it IS bulky. I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Kindle next year so that I can add that to my list . . .

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie My first choice is usually quality paperback but I love hardcovers too. There's just something about the solidness of a big lovely book that makes me giddy. I absolutely hate mass market paperbacks so I try to avoid those at all costs.

message 10: by librarian4Him02 (new)

librarian4Him02 | 273 comments I prefer hardcover because I can stuff it in my backpack without worry that the cover will get crunched or bent.

I'm good with audio too because I have such a long commute. eBooks, not so much and I'll do paperback if I have to :)

message 11: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) Librarianforhim wrote: "I'm good with audio too because I have such a long commute. eBooks, not so much and..."

My main use for audio books as well. Its an hour to an hour and a half one way so I can get a good 2-3 hours of reading and enjoy myself instead of being all stressed like the people around me.

message 12: by Alycia (new)

Alycia (alyciac) Depends on what I'm doing with it ... if I'm going to keep it, hardcover is the way to go. If I'm not planning to keep it (I'm buying it as I get on the plane) mass market paperback so I don't feel guilty later.

message 13: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancybartellsbcglobalnet) I got a Kindle2 in Feb. and it can't be beat. The rapidity of downloads, saving paper and gas to the bookstore and the portability is great. I've only found 5 books so far that aren't available on Kindle.

message 14: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 235 comments I prefer Quality Paperbacks because of weight and convenience. Unfortunately, I mostly read MM PBs because of economics.

message 15: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (kraaivrouw) Quality paperback, then mass market paperback, then hardcover. Hardcover can be really unwieldy for my BART commute. I actually put back a copy of Drood at the library this weekend because even though I'd like to read it, it was just so freakin' big & bulky I couldn't see lugging it around.

message 16: by erin buchanan (new)

erin buchanan | 188 comments ebook (god love kindle and the ability to blow things up while running at the gym)

then all about the same. Mostly paperback because I'm rough on books and I don't feel as bad when they disintegrate. My copy of ender's game and american gods are totally indistinguishable because I've read them so many times.

message 17: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 82 comments I like to read on my Kindle, hardback, then quality paperback. I am terrible with audio...not a great listener I guess.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim I love quality paperbacks followed by hardbacks. I don't think I'd ever read a book on a kindle although the idea sounds fantastic, I'm not great at reading great quantities of info direct from the screen.

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 82 comments Reading on a kindle is so much different than reading on a computer screen. I thought I wouldn't like it at all and I am hooked. Kindle uses a electronic ink which does not need to be backlit and is very easy on the eyes. I have the K1 and looks like the K2 is even better. They have improved the clarity of images even more, the ergonomics and it even reads to you. Worth checking out if you have the money. I received mine as a gift.

message 20: by Dini (new)

Dini Imported English books are quite pricey in my country, so paperbacks are the way to go for me. Plus they're easier to carry everywhere. Mass market paperbacks are most convenient but I don't like it when the print's too small.

message 21: by Gretta (new)

Gretta Valerie, I'm right there with you. I have actually decided to not read a book because it is only available in mass market paperback. I would probably read many more mysteries if they were available in quality paperback.

message 22: by Gretta (new)

Gretta One more question. For you Kindle lovers, what happens if you spill coffee on it? I'm truly not joking. I've considered the Sony reader and the Kindle, but I do all my reading before work with my coffee and that's approximately 1.5 hours daily.

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jess0702) I definitely prefer paperbacks- easier to carry. I've tried some ebooks, and I've downloaded some book apps on my iphone, but its just not the same to me as having a book in my hands.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina (bibliomama11) I definitely prefer trade paperbacks for all the reasons people have already said: weight, cost, longevity. Though, since I usually buy books instead of getting them from the library, mass market are the most budget-friendly. I haven't bought a hardcover book for myself in ages, but I like to buy them as gifts.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (lwspotts) Trade paperback (hands down), then mass market and/or audio, then hardback.