European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Suite Francaise: Appendix I

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Appendix I: Irene Nemirovsky's handwritten notes on the situation in France and her plans for Suite Francaise, taken from her notebooks here.

message 2: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments The appendixes are what really made this book for me. They were just so tragic to read because you know what the outcome will be. I would have loved to be able to read the complete novel as Nemirovsky envisioned it. A question for all you authors out there - do you plot out your books like Nemirovsky did, or do you just write? I was surprised by all the details and thoughts she had prior to writing. Maybe that's normal for authors, but as someone who is not an author, it was fascinating to read.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I thought so, too, Sara!
Her notes were incredibly interesting. The interspersed personal notes and allusions really added to the book for me.

I also would have loved to read the whole book as it was envisioned. Part 3, Captivity, was so well outlined than it seemed to me that maybe some had already been written...
Her idea's for Lucille's future were sad - seems like she was destined never to find any lasting happiness.

I thought it interesting that she never mentioned having any of the soldiers return home in the story. I loved that most of our characters from part 1 were brought back...wish I could have read their stories through to the end!

message 4: by Kristine (last edited May 24, 2009 06:48PM) (new)

Kristine (foreveryearning) | 3 comments I found the notes interesting and sad to read. It's disappointing that we will never be able to read all parts of the suite. I wouldn't have minded at all reading the 1000 pages she had planned for it.

I liked how she had plans for both Jean-Marie and the German to die. Not that I wanted them to die, just that it's bittersweet, and would drive home the fact that good men from both sides were victims to this war. Also makes it sad for Lucille, that after marrying an unlovable husband, and then finding two men she fell in love with, in the end she was still left alone. But perhaps she would've been happy eventually, knowing that she was able to be free at least to have loved others and loved in return.

message 5: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I think the 1000 pages would have just flown by! It would have been a fantastic epic. I'm so glad we at least get to read the notes.

I agree with you Kris about having Jean-Marie and the German die - not that I would want it either, but it does help drive home how terrible and sad war can be for all those involved. It kind of goes back to what was said in the other thread - it's amazing how evenhandedly Irene was able to treat the German characters considering everything that was going on (and would go on) in her life.