Between the Lines discussion

Modern Fiction & Authors > Shogun by James Clavell

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Started this book and it is so captivating. Blackthorn is such a great character. This is so well written. Shogun is hard to put down. The description of the scurvy just made my stomach turn. Was so worried about the ship crashing into the rocks. I can't read this book fast enough.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I so want to learn Japanese.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah It might be!

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I would also love to learn Japanese. I know it's not the same, but Ialways think of Shogun when I watch movies like Hero, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and House of Flying Daggers. The are actually speaking Mandarin, but I pretend it's Japanese.

There is a lot to love about Blackthorn. He's not perfect, which makes him even lovelier to me.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Crouching tiger hidden dragon & house of flying daggers.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Emilee wrote: "I loved Crouching tiger hidden dragon & house of flying daggers. "

How could you not? ;) I wish we could re-watch them together.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Come on over. I own them both!

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I own both too! I just really would like to watch them in the same room together! Have you seen Hero? If not, I strongly rec it!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay so I don't like the torture that the a Japanese use on Blackthorne and his shipmates. Very creepy.

message 10: by Vir (new)

Vir | 4 comments Shogun is definitely my favourite historical fiction/adventure novel... I love the way Clavell completely immerses the reader into Japanese culture.

I've read all of Clavell's books except for Whirlwind, and this is the best one, though Tai Pan and Noble House are also extremely good. Has anyone read Whirlwind? I've been meaning to read it at some point for the past 5 years but just haven't gotten around to it :)

@Emilee - I thought the torture of the shipmates (boiling in a cauldron... uuugghh) was pretty brutal too... though didn't have any problem with it in terms of its place in the story...
Also, I thought Blackthorne and particularly Toranaga are amazingly written

message 11: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I've read Whirlwind. I really enjoy Clavell's style, but the story itself wasn't that great. It's certainly not a waste of time, but if I had read that first, I would not have been hell-bent on reading ALL his books.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Vir wrote: "Emilee - I thought the torture of the shipmates (boiling in a cauldron... uuugghh) was pretty brutal too... though didn't have any problem with it in terms of its place in the story...
Also, I thought Blackthorne and particularly Toranaga are amazingly written"

It was brutal but you are right it was needed at this time in the story.

So far really loving this book. I hope to finish it soon. I should actually be reading it now.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

FYI: This is a banned book!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

The people who ban books probably didn't even read the books they are banning.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

They might not even know how to read.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That could be an option.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I know this book is older, but why is it all of a sudden jumping into the forefront so strongly? Is a movie being made of it?

I saw it a few times at the library sales but havent had the urge to buy it (should I feel ashamed?) Im not much into Japanese history and havent read a book revolving around it...

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Lori: this is actually a really good book. I am not sure if they are making a movie out of it but that would be an good idea.

message 19: by Kandice (last edited Jun 16, 2009 07:53AM) (new)

Kandice I think it may be my fault. We were suggesting our very favorite books in the world, Fiona, Allison, Emilee and a few others read it on my suggestion. I LOVE this book, so am really glad to see others do too. I was nervous because it's so long.

There was a mini-series made in the 80's starring Toshiro Mifune and Richard Chamberlain. It was incredibly popular. I can't see them fitting the story into a 2 hour movie, becuase it's based in fact. They would be forced to focus on only a small portion of the book.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Im telling you, its EVERYwhere.... tho I certainly feel no pull towards it. I have even flipped through it the last few times Ive seen in at a sale, and read a pargraph... and eh... nothing.

MAybe its just not my time yet :)

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Hmmmm.... maybe....???!!!

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Someday, Lori, but I would hate you to try prematurely and not like it. It's better to wait until you are ready to fall in love...Hahaha!

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I have read the whole series, adn while I love his style too, Jneni, the others just don't measure up to Shogun. I have read it 13 times, but the sequels only once each.