The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > I Capture the Castle - Keep it clean

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10145 comments Mod
**NO spoilers. Keep it clean everyone!

message 2: by Summer Rae (new)

Summer Rae Garcia | 3 comments I have only read a couple of pages and I am giddy because I can tell it is going to be one of THOSE books. One that makes me shirk my dishes, stay up too late and that will make it to the 'read again' list. Yay.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments I can't wait to buy it tomorrow ***cross my fingers*** i hope they have it

message 4: by Tracy (last edited May 01, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

Tracy (iowadreamer) | 41 comments I just re-read this book for the Spring Challenge. And I loved it more the second time. Anyone who loves books -- OK, any girl/woman who loves books -- will see herself in Cassandra. SO delightful!!

This book also has one of the best first lines in history. I used it for a writing exercise for my beginning writers class -- "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink." It was fascinating to see where the kids went with that, especially knowing the book myself.

Enjoy this, everyone! What a perfect book for May!

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I just finished not too long ago and enjoyed it but it was a little old fashion-y and romantic for my tastes (I've recently become cynical where romance is concerned). It is a perfect whimsical read for May though and I definitely saw myself in Cassandra.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison (sockweasel) | 432 comments I started it a couple days ago and am enjoying it so far. :) Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I just placed a hold at the library, I should be able to pick it up Monday!

message 8: by Maliades (last edited May 02, 2009 10:56AM) (new)

Maliades I checked this book out a couple weeks ago for the Spring Challenge, and just started it this morning. So far, I am enjoying it. Should finish it this weekend!

**Edited to say, I have to finish it by May 5th because that is when it's due at the library and someone else has placed a hold on it, so I can't re-check it.

message 9: by Claire (new)

Claire | 30 comments I just started it yesterday and love it already! I can see it's going to get in the way of the assignment I have due next week, not to mention work.

I love the style of writing - it's exactly the kind of book I love reading.

message 10: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I re-read it last night and was impressed with how the author was able to capture the voice and reactions of a teenage girl. I really enjoyed the descriptions of the everyday life of the family, but less so the romantic entanglements--although I recognize that something was required to drive the story forward and what better subject for a teenage girl?

message 11: by Summer Rae (new)

Summer Rae Garcia | 3 comments In case any one wants to check out the movie, it is on You Tube in parts.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I started this tonight. I've only read the first chapter thus far but I have a feeling Cassandra is going to captivate me.

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (schaubchick) | 138 comments I will begin reading this tomorrow, as I have 200 pages left on a book I'm currently reading. I just cannot start a new book without finishing the old one! I'm glad that I splurged and bought this and People of the Book this weekend. No worries about holds at the library!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 215 comments I read the book and it was wonderful!!!

message 15: by JSou (new)

JSou Yay! I just got my copy in the mail yesterday, so I will be starting it this afternoon. I can't wait!

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (schaubchick) | 138 comments I started this yesterday afternoon and have read through 3/4 of it. So far I really like the story. A bit on the boring side at times, but still a very good story and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

message 17: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 6 comments I just started this book and am on page 71. So far, so good! I also find myself really liking Cassandra and am anxious to see where this story takes her (and me). I find it interesting that the book was "long unavailable in American stores..." I am glad that it is back!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Really liking this book. Hope to get it done this week.

message 19: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I had started this a few years ago but put it down and now I don't know why I ever stopped! So glad I'm finally reading this for real. I was at the hospital Friday for an ultrasound and a woman in the elevator asked me what I was reading and then went on and on about how much she loved the book. She kept calling it "an oldie but a goodie." This book seems to have such a fan base, I'm surrised it was ever out of print.

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia I started this late last night, love it so far (37 pages).

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful book. I loved it!

message 22: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessalittlenerdy) Alright, so I'm a little late picking this one up...but better late than never, right?! I've heard so many good things about it, I couldn't take it anymore--I went to my library and checked it out. I've read the first two chapters...I have a feeling that this is going to be a book I'm going to want a permanent copy of! I've already caught myself laughing more than once, and Smith has a teenager's reactions nailed to a T! Can't wait to join the discussion with everyone.

message 23: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I'm currently 130 pages in. I just want to rush through to see what's going to happen, but the book isn't written for that kind of reading.

It almost makes one need to take a break to think about what was just read, and really take it in and appreciate it.

This seems to be one of those books that gives you something new to discover on every reading. I love those.

message 24: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 28 comments How are people finding this book? I like Cassandra a lot and am enjoying the book - it's pleasant - but am not finding it a page turner. What I mean is I am quite happy to put it down and pick it up as and when, rather than sitting at work wishing the day by so I can get back on the bus to read the next few pages!

message 25: by Everyman (new)

Everyman srae wrote: "I have only read a couple of pages and I am giddy because I can tell it is going to be one of THOSE books. One that makes me shirk my dishes, stay up too late and that will make it to the 'read aga..."

You're right, it absolutely is one of those books.

Another one is Parnassus on Wheels, by Morley. If you don't know it, try it. Probably out of print, but should be available on interlibrary loan.

message 26: by Alya (new)

Alya (borringbee) ive just started reading it, but the thing is ive already seen the movie.
i dont think it'll ruin the book coz i think the books a bit diffrent or so im hoping!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

When I checked this out, my co-worker, a fellow librarian exclaimed "Oh I love that book."

I find it funny that I never heard of this book before, because I love all of the classic "girl" novels, like P&P, Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, etc.

I also saw the movie before reading the book, but it didn't spoil it for me, I really enjoyed it.

message 28: by Everyman (new)

Everyman How about Cold Comfort Farm. Have you read that one yet?

Or Morley's Pandora Lifts the Lid?

Sara wrote: "When I checked this out, my co-worker, a fellow librarian exclaimed "Oh I love that book."

I find it funny that I never heard of this book before, because I love all of the classic "girl" novels,..."

message 29: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Fiona wrote: "HEEHEE!!!

Hope everyone enjoys it!"

PUSHER!!!!!

message 30: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments srae wrote: "I have only read a couple of pages and I am giddy because I can tell it is going to be one of THOSE books. One that makes me shirk my dishes, stay up too late and that will make it to the 'read aga..."

I am around 100 pages and also wondering if it will get more of thos parts that I really like and makes me go n and on or if there will be more coming of the couple of parts that were a bit too slow.

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz It's not to be fast paced, but by the time I was about 150 pages in the book moved a lot more quickly for me. I think part of the reason this book is so beloved is because Smith writes characters but also writes them in a manner that makes it easy for the reader to become very emotionally invested in them.

message 32: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments It isn't slow anymore by now! Page 290 nd much happened already. Poor Cassandra and her feelings..