The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > SUMMER 2009 TASK SUGGESTIONS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 301 (301 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Apr 29, 2009 06:32PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1826 comments It's task suggestion time. Feel free to throw out there as many ideas that your creative minds can think of. You don't have to have participated in challenges before to suggest something - I'm happy to get ideas from everyone. And I'm really excited to see what you guys come up with.

Sincerely,
Cynthia - SCM

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I have two at the moment:

1. In honor of Ann Frank's birthday (June 13, 1929) read a book related to the Holocaust

2. Read a book by an author who spent time in jail/prison/as a p.o.w.

I have no idea what the point values should be on those.

message 3: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Celebrate the Summer Solstice, i.e. "The Longest Day of the Year", (or, for those in the Southern Hemisphere, celebrate winter hibernation) by getting a tome off your bookshelf: Read a book that is at least 500 pages.

message 4: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Canadian Independence Day (July 1st): Read a book written by a Canadian or that takes place in Canada.

U.S. Independence Day (July 4th): Read a book about U.S. history or about one of the founding fathers.

message 5: by El (new)

El Good ones, WV Heather.

I have a couple to suggest as well:

1. In honor of Gay Pride (often celebrated in June in memory of the Stonewall Riots in NY during the sixties) read a LGBT author.
2. In honor of Bastille Day read a French author.
3. For Father's Day read a book recommended to you by your father (or a father-figure).

message 6: by El (new)

El Charity wrote: "Celebrate the Summer Solstice, i.e. "The Longest Day of the Year", (or, for those in the Southern Hemisphere, celebrate winter hibernation) by getting a tome off your bookshelf: Read a book that is..."

I love this one, Charity. I love me some tomes!

message 7: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 425 comments I have a few:

1. Read a book set on the beach or in the ocean
2. Read a book on your local high school summer reading list.
3. For Father's Day, read a book suggested by your father or has his name (character or author)
4. For Canada Day (July 1) book sent in Canada or Canadian author.
5. In August, Hawaii will have been a state for 50 years. Read a book set in Hawaii or by Hawaiian author.

message 8: by Charity (last edited Apr 30, 2009 04:27AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Summer is a big time for family reunions: Read 2 books that are 'related' by having ONE word in common (word must be at least 5 letters long).

message 9: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) El wrote: "I love this one, Charity. I love me some tomes! "

Whoo hoo! I love me some big, fat books! :-)

message 10: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie Here is my one suggestion for now:

Learn a little about your local area...Read a non-fiction book that is written about the area you live in, or as close as possible to the area you live in.

message 11: by Manday (last edited Apr 29, 2009 06:59PM) (new)

Manday | 212 comments Obviously you wouldnt use all of these but I like the general idea..

Read two books that have the same word in the title.

Read a Book, poem, and short story that have the same word in the title.

Read a fiction and nonfiction book on the same topic.

---------

Read a book that is related to a current event, and read an article on that current event, link to the article in your post. (ex: Iraq War, President Obama, economic crisis, etc)

--------

Read a book, fiction or nonfiction, about a religion different from your own.

--------

Read a book by an author that shares your first and last initial.

--------

As June is the time of many high school graduations, read a book in which someone graduates.

--------

message 12: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) The Mod Squad: Read a book from Lori's or Cynthia's "READ" shelves.

message 13: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Manday wrote: "Read two books that have the same word in the title."

Great minds do think alike!

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Rebecca wrote: "4. For Canada Day (July 1) book sent in Canada or Canadian author. "

Ditto 'great minds' for this. :-)

message 15: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie One more idea....

August 9-15 is Ressurrect(sp?) Romance Week...Read a romance book.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Some of the ones I had already written coincide with some already suggested, but I just copied and pasted my list, so pardon my duplicates.

In honor of Canada Day (July 1) – Read a book by an Canadian author, set in Canada, OR about Canada

In honor of Bastille Day (July 14) - Read a book by a French author, set in France, OR about France

In honor of US Independence Day (July 4) Read a book about gaining freedom or independence

August 2 is Friendship Day – read a book about friendship

To honor our friends in the southern hemisphere where it is winter, and to cool those who are trying to avoid summer’s heat, read a book that takes place in winter or where it is cold.

Because June, July and August are the 6th, 7th and 8th months, read a book whose author’s last name is 6, 7, or 8 letters in length

Read a mystery

Read a romance

Read a historical novel

In honor of father’s day, - Read a book where the author/main character shares the same FIRST name as your father OR…Read a book recommended by/given to you by your father.

Read a book that has a mode of transportation in its title; e.g. car, truck, train, plane, ship, boat, wagon, cart, surrey, buggy, etc., or an animal that is ridden such as horse, camel, elephant, etc.

Read a book originally published before 1950

Read a book originally published in the 1800s

Read 2 books whose titles start with the letters of your initials (my initials are ER, so I need to read a book that starts with an E and an R)

Read a novel that won a major award prior to the year you were born

message 17: by Sarah D (new)

Sarah D School usually starts at the end of August..maybe a book with school in the title or a book that has to do with school somehow.

August is the only month without a major (religious or federal) holiday in the United States. Maybe a book about or with your favorite holiday in the title.

The first full weekend in August each year, Twinsburg, Ohio celebrates Twins Days. A book about twins??

message 18: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Summer in the Northern Hemisphere is Winter "down under"...so go to the Winter Challenge thread and pick a task that either you didn't complete the first time (if you did the Winter Challenge) or that looks the most interesting.

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) This is the task I was going to use for when I completed the spring challenge, but that looks like it ain't gonna happen, so here it is.

Judge a book by its cover. Read two books whose covers you find beautiful, attractive, aesthetically pleasing, etc... Then post the covers in the forum.

Also, when I think of summer I think of fresh garden fruits and veggies. Read a book with the name of a veg or fruit in the title.

Finally, read a book told by the POV of an animal.

message 20: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments I love the suggestion to read a book off of your local HS reading list, the reunion suggestion and the one about Hawaii being a state for 50 years!

I also think it would be fun to read a book having to do with the ocean, sea life or a beach?

What about reading a book with "hot-related" words in the title? Burn, fire, steam, smoke, scorch, boil, flame, etc?

reread a favorite book?

I also liked the tasks where we had to look at lists of other challenge participants and pick books, I made a new friend that way...

message 21: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Crystal (fortelleren) I think it might be nice to have some more general tasks, to have a nice mix of reading things you wouldn't normally read as well as things you've been wanting to read for awhile.

So maybe a few "indulgent" tasks, like:

*Read a book by an author you've always wanted to try but haven't yet
*Read a book you've been meaning to read for at least six months
*Read a book with a plotline that mirrors your own place in life, life story, etc
*Read a book where you share the same first name as the hero/heroine (and if your name is too unique, pick the name of someone you love, your significant other, etc)
*Read a book in a genre of your choice, and tell us why you choose this genre
*In celebration of Summer holidays, take a day out exclusively to yourself, drop all other obligations, and read all day (only receive points if you read for 6 or more hours)

Holidays:
*Midsummer's Eve - read a book about fairies, mythical creatures, or with the word Midsummer or Solstice in the title
*Independence Day - read a book about a character who becomes free
*Flag Day - read a book that takes place in a country other than your own

message 22: by Lizzi (last edited Apr 29, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Lizzi Crystal (fortelleren) Judge a book by its cover. Read two books whose covers you find beautiful, attractive, aesthetically pleasing, etc... Then post the covers in the forum.

I LOVE this idea!!

Angie, if you don't end up finishing the spring challenge and Cynthia doesn't use this for the summer challenge, would you mind if I used this idea for my 25-point task? (I *think* I'll be finishing the spring challenge, anyway!) I love picking books based solely on their covers. :-)

message 23: by Lizzi (new)

Lizzi Crystal (fortelleren) I love all of your ideas Elizabeth, especially "Read 2 books whose titles start with the letters of your initials (my initials are ER, so I need to read a book that starts with an E and an R)"!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Thanks, Lizzi. Obviously that was inspired by a task on the Spring Challenge, as were others on my list.

I like many of the other ideas expressed here. With this kind of thinking, summer will present some interesting reading!

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) Lizzi, it's yours! It would be awesome if you could use it. I already have two books picked for this task. :D I saw the books at the bookstore and immediately fell in love w/the covers.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments Some suggestions that I gave for the college students group:

-In light of Flag Day, July 4th, and Memorial day—read a historical fiction book/play that is set during an important time in American history (like during the Civil War as an example)

-Join Hands Day is celebrated the first Saturday in May (.Join Hands Day is a day to make a difference in your community through helpful projects that connect youths and adults. It is an opportunity to reach out through volunteer organizations and to connect generations and develop new relationships.).In light of this..read a book about somebody who made a difference in the community and then (to complete the challenge) do something to make a difference in yours (it could be small or large—donating to a charity, volunteering at a soup kitchen, etc. etc.)

World Environment Day is June 5th (hosted by New Zealand this year)—Read about an environmental issue or something pertaining to “going green”

The Summer Birthstones are Emerald, Pearl, Ruby, and Jade—Read a book with one of those in the title

August 26th is Women’s Equality Day—read a book about a women you admire

Read 2 books by one author you have never read

Read a book that was recommended to you by a family member or a friend that you have never read

Read a book by an author who was born in either May, June, July or August

For Father's Day--read a book that centers around a father/son or father/daughter relationship.

message 27: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) June 6 = Belmont Stakes - read a fiction/nonfiction book about horses/horseracing, or a book with the word horse/horses in the title

Summer is a popular time for weddings - read a book about a wedding/bride/groom, or with any of those words in the title

In honor of Elvis, the King of Rock & Roll (who died in August 1977), read a fiction/nonfiction book about a musician or that focuses on music

Read a book whose title is also the title of a song

message 28: by Tara (new)

Tara To me, summer is all about relaxation and vacations, so how about a book that's set in your dream vacation spot?

message 29: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Jen B wrote: "Read a book whose title is also the title of a song"

I LOVE this one!!

message 30: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie With the swine flu on everyones minds and the fact that July is Bioterrorism/disaster Education & Awareness month, read a fiction or non-fiction book about a nationwide or worldwide pandemic/illness or disaster.

message 31: by Sarah D (new)

Sarah D Read a book about the game of baseball or about a baseball player

Have your librarian or wherever you get your books recommend their favorite book.

message 32: by Jen (new)

Jen (oshngirl) | 34 comments How about Christmas in July read a book that takes place or has a scene during Christmas

Summer Lovin' - read a book about summer romance

summer is the time for vacations so read a travel book or memoir

Kids are out of school but don't let them forget to read, take time and read a book to a child, maybe volunteer at the library to read or read to your own kids, must read at least 30 minutes total (not all at once, like if it's a 2 year old can read for 10 minutes 3 times)

June is Zoo and Aquarium month so read a book about exotic animals

ok that's all I can think of that hasn't already been suggested :)

message 33: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments WOW!!! these are some awesome ideas. I can't wait to see what Cynthia uses. :~)

message 34: by Kim (new)

Kim (catmommie) I may incorporate some of these challenges into my own personal ones for the summer months.

heat/smoke - Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts.

beach - Beach Road or Lake House(?), Honeymoon - James Patterson

Christmas - Mary Higgins Clark has a couple.

message 35: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Summer is just the hottest time of year, so how about reading some of 2009's bestsellers?
link: http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/us...
(it includes books published in previous years, but were bestsellers in 2009)

message 36: by Adam (new)

Adam | 37 comments I love movies in the summer. How about we find a movie we really want to see in theaters or at the video store, and then read the book first. Then watch the movie and see how it compares.

I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and am interested to see how the movie turns out. (I hope the movie is more interesting, but that's off topic)

Just a thought.

message 37: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments In honor of June 5, World Environment Day - read a book that has a predominant transit system, so that there are less cars on the road (bus, train, el, subway, etc.)

In honor of June 14, Flag Day - read a book that has Flag, Stars & Stripes, Red; White; and Blue, Star Spangled Banner, etc. in the title

In honor of June 14-18, National History Day Contest - read a historical fiction book about a natural disaster, a accident/wreck, or a war

In honor of June 19, Emancipation Day - read a book on the Civil War, slavery, fighting for black civil rights, etc.

In honor of June 21, Father's Day - read a book where the main character is talking from the POV of a father

In honor of July 4, Independence Day - read a book about the bringing about of our day of independence (Boston Tea Party, Revolutionary War, founding fathers, writing of the Declaration of Independence)

In honor of July 27, Korean War Veterans Day - read a book about Korea, Korean War, POW Korean War, etc.)

August 26, Women's Equality Day - read a book from a series written by a woman where one of the main characters is a woman (i.e. Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum)

message 38: by Roseann (new)

Roseann | 400 comments From a genre that is near and dear to my heart:

Read a Book about Books and then pick a book that is discussed or mentioned within it and read that also.

message 39: by Roseann (last edited Apr 29, 2009 11:35PM) (new)

Roseann | 400 comments Charity wrote: "Celebrate the Summer Solstice, i.e. "The Longest Day of the Year", (or, for those in the Southern Hemisphere, celebrate winter hibernation) by getting a tome off your bookshelf: Read a book that is..."

I love the 500 pg challenge, it reminds me of when I was young I actually used to look for books by their thickness on the shelves. This actually allowed me to read novels that a pre-teen/teenager wouldn't normally read. I became a huge Michener fan!

message 40: by Rachel Erin (new)

Rachel Erin | 21 comments For better or worse its wedding season-read a book with the words Borrowed, blue, old, or new in the title
My favorite summer tradition is going on road trips-read a book about a journey
a travel essay book about a place you’d like to visit

Read a book whose title is a quotation/reference from another literary source (ie. For Whom the Bell Tolls or The Sound and the Fury) and the original source material
Read a book that takes place in the place you were born
Read a book off the bookshelf of one of your favorite goodreads authors
Read a classic children’s novel
Read a book with the name of a country or nationality in the title

message 41: by JoAnn (new)

JoAnn (jladybug) My local library system has an annual reading summer reading program (thematic and for all ages) and a special title is chosen for the "One County, One Book." Last year was The Book Thief and 2007 was The life of Pi. They include special activities that relate to the selected book as well. I'm looking forward with anticipation for the 2009 selection and Summer reading theme for Salt Lake County Library System.

I'm willing to bet that similar reading programs exist in most of our communities as well. I think we should include a challenge to participate at some level on our local library summer reading programs.

message 42: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 218 comments Celebrate Summer - books with summer words in the title, summer, hot, heat, sea, beach. sand, seafood, sandals, sun, water, pool, picnic etc

One Word Titles

Exercise - words like run, jump, walk, jog, kick, hop, lift etc in title

Books featuring something you like to do as a hobby = cooking, stitching, knitting, reading, photography...

Senior main characters

Books featuring music, musicians

Scary Monsters (okay I was listening to Bowie), but horror books, vamps, werewolves, etc...

message 43: by Charity (last edited Apr 30, 2009 04:29AM) (new)

Charity (charityross) Roseann wrote: "From a genre that is near and dear to my heart:

Read a Book about Books and then pick a book that is discussed or mentioned within it and read that also."

OMG!! Get out of my brain!!!! LOL! :) I cannot believe you suggested that because that is the challenge task I've been thinking of adding if I finish the challenge.(((((((SPOOKY))))))) That is too weird. I would definitely love to see this as part of the challenge....as one book can lead to another book that leads to another book...love it!

message 44: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Charity wrote: OMG!! Get out of my brain!!!! LOL! :)

No kidding! Rachel CA, this was going to be my "most improved" task (because I know I won't finish the challenge, but I might actually stand a shot at most improved): Read a book whose title is a quotation/reference from another literary source (ie. For Whom the Bell Tolls or The Sound and the Fury) and the original source material. The Sound and the Fury was even my example! :)

In any case, I definitely think it's a great suggestion! ;)

message 45: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) For the "dog days of summer" read a book with the word dog (or a type of dog) in the title, or a book that has a dog as one of the main characters.

message 46: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Read another GR group's "group read."

Required summer reading introduces us to new books! Go on to google and look up summer reading list. Read a book off of a class's summer reading list. Tell us where you found the list.

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments These are all GREAT ideas...Now I am getting really excited for the summer challenge and we still have one month left for the spring challenge. Here are some I thought of for the challenge...

To celebrate those people we love, read a book with the name or a character in a book that shares a name with a family member or friend who is having a birthday in June, July, or August.

Read a book with six, seven, or eight in the title. Or all three like we did last time.

Read the book that you most recently put on your TBR on Goodreads.

I don't know about most of you, but my to-read list on GR is about 26-28 pages long, so read a book that is on the sixth, seventh, or eight page of your TBR by picking the book that is the sixth, seventh, or eigth of the number you choose...confusing so, If I pick page Six, I would read the sixth book listed on that page.

Read a book with summer in the title.

Find a 'friend' who is participating in the spring challenge and decide on a book that you will both read together for the challenge (around the same time) and post individual thoughts on the book.

message 48: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 254 comments Some people may have a 'siesta' in the summer. Read a book with a sleep related word in the title ie. sleep, nap, dream.

"Mad dogs and Englishmen lie out in the mid-day sun" Read a book that has dog in the title or is about a dog.

June, July, August. Read a book each beginning with one of the same letters as those months so 2 beginning with J and one beginning with A.

Read a book that is set in a place where you have visited as a summer holiday.

Many places have air displays during the summer months. Read a book which has a 'flying thing' in the title ie. bird, aeroplane, kite etc.

For Independence day (4th July) read a book with fireworks or type of firework in the title.

10th August is the beginning of national allotments week (!!) read a book with a flower in the title and then attempt to grow something!

National Volunteering week is the first week of June. Read a book which has a storyline or plot centred around helping or volunteering and then volunteer your services in some capacity.

message 49: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Read a collection of short stories.

message 50: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Roseann wrote: "From a genre that is near and dear to my heart:

Read a Book about Books and then pick a book that is discussed or mentioned within it and read that also."

I love this idea!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7