Children's Books discussion

Specific Books & Authors > "The Name of this Book is Secret"

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 25, 2008 05:01PM) (new)

Alexandra I'm currently reading The Name of this Book is Secret by Pseudonymous Bosch and I like it so far, about 2/3 the way through. Anyone else read it? I'd put it in the 9-12 year range.

message 2: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 27, 2008 06:39AM) (new)

Alexandra No, I wouldn't consider it fantasy. It's a mystery, almost a melodrama. The kids discover something that evil adults are after. So there's the mystery of what this thing actually is, plus escaping the clutches of the bad guys. Here's what I said in my review:

"Mystery! Suspense! Dastardly deeds! Diabolical plots!

What to say about a book whose very title is a secret, whose first page warns us "Do Not Read Beyond This Page", where names and places are changed to preserve secrecy?

Definately a fun story with mystery, villians, and lovably quirky kids. Has a narrator that breaks the narritive to speak to the reader, but didn't find that annoying, and there is less of that as the story goes along. Reminds me a bit of The Mysterious Benedict Society with some riddles and codes, with bit of Lemony Snicket.

Cass and Max-Ernest are not cookie-cutter "in-crowd" types. It's also fun to see their friendship develop in the story. I really liked this story, and think I would have loved it as a kid. The end suggests there may be a sequel, I certainly hope so...."

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I just added this to my to-read list. Your review sealed the deal. Thanks ~

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra You're welcome. Let me know what you think. :)

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra If there is a sequel, I wonder what it will be called?

"The Title of This Book is Secret Too"? LOL