Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans discussion

General > Suggestions for PMALF Group Improvements

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Werner (new)

Werner Recently, in the Supernatural Fiction Readers group which I moderate, I organized our discussion threads into a few folders, so that more of them display on the group page at a time, and they're organized in a way that's (hopefully) easier to find than they were before. (Besides the General folder, we now have Miscellanous, Common Reads, Thematic Discussions, a folder for promotional posts by members who are authors, and one for specific discussions of other particular authors or works.) I wonder if that would be worthwhile to do here? What do you all think?

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner In A Man for All Seasons, Robert Bolt's Sir Thomas More points out that in law, the rule of thumb is that "Silence is consent." :-) Should I take the silence (so far) on this suggestion that way? Or are there any folks who really like the single folder for all discussions, as it is now?

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) | 86 comments Mod
I like your idea about different folders for the various themes - ala similar to that of the Supernatural Fiction Readers group.

message 4: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 31 comments I also like several folder--then I can go to the subjexct I prefer first, then scan the others later. Usedful on days when time is short.

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim Byrd (timbyrd) | 48 comments I'll be the contrarian. I don't feel like there are really enough messages to justify breaking them up into folders, and doing so will just add additional steps (and browser waiting) when trying to read the latest posts.

Tim
www.DocWilde.com

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner Hmmmm! Well, since we've got a divided response to this question, and since not many people have responded (so far), I'm not going to take any action as yet. If different people have different preferences, we need to be sure the majority want a change before we make one.

Re Tim's point about not having enough threads to need folders, we have 29 at present. The Goodreads staff doesn't recommend using folders unless a group has 100 discussion threads or more --though they don't forbid it, either. (I'm not sure how they got the figure of 100.) Tim, several other groups I'm in use multiple folders, and so far I haven't had any problem from it in reading the latest posts; but then, the browser on my home and office computers may be set up differently than yours, too. (Unlike Jim, I'm no computer technician, so I wouldn't even recognize a browser if I saw one! :-))

message 7: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 234 comments Mod
I think a lot depends on how you read the groups & if you want to look something up. I tend to read my groups by using 'groups' on the home page. I keep current & all is well.

I rarely have to go looking for a topic, but when I do, I think the current GR system pretty much sucks. There is no search for topics, just words in them. That works on a small group, such as this one, but doesn't at all on more active groups such as GR Librarians or GR Feedback.

I think we're on the edge right now. If you view all topics, it shows 25 of the 29. At home, using my modem, every extra step adds minutes. Since GR only displays 4 or 5 topics under every folder, looking for something is likely to take a couple of pages anyway.

As a general rule, I like the breakup of topics best. Makes them easier to find. In this case, I don't think it matters much, but I'd lean toward breaking them up as in the other group.

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner Well, the new trial arrangement with multiple folders is complete. We'll give it awhile to see how you all like it. If anybody has questions, or suggestions for renaming or adding folders, or moving a thread from one folder to another, don't hesitate to speak up! I modeled my arrangement on what I used in the Supernatural Fiction Readers group; but it's not divinely inspired, nor set in concrete. :-)

message 9: by Steven (new)

Just checking in after being swamped with work and real life stuff. I personally like it so far, willing to see what others think...

message 10: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Not to be picky, but there are two 'General' folders. One is capitalized & one isn't. Should there only be one?

Other than that, all looks great. Thanks for all the work, Werner.

message 11: by Werner (new)

Werner You're welcome, Jim! There's only supposed to be one General folder, so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm not sure what went wrong there, but I'll get to work on fixing it ASAP.

message 12: by Werner (new)

Werner Okay, apparently what I just did corrected the problem of multiple General/general folders --but let me know if you find that it didn't!

message 13: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Looks right to me now. Thanks, Werner.

message 14: by Werner (new)

Werner No worries! Thanks for keeping an eye out for anomalies.

message 15: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

It doesn't look like we have category for 'Group Members that Write'. Should we? I got chatting with a horror writer today who did a great short story, but it's more a crime thriller. I suggested he post to this group, but wasn't sure where. Thoughts?

message 16: by Werner (new)

Werner Jim, we actually do have a folder for "Group Members Who Write." It just doesn't show up right away when you click on the group homepage (unfortunately); you have to click on "More discussions" in order to see it.

Just now, I went in and finally corrected the problem of having two "General" folders. Not sure why my attempted correction last year didn't take, but this one looks like it did. :-)

message 17: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Ah. OK, I fixed that. Under the Advanced Options, I set it so that topics don't roll off in 30 days. Now all the folders with 5 topics each show.

message 18: by Werner (new)

Werner Wonderful! I didn't even know we could do that! Thanks, Jim. (It pays to have a moderator who's a computer technician. :-) )

message 19: by Steven (new)

Thanks for setting that up Jim! Hope you have a greatr 2011 ! You too Werner!

message 20: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

No problem. Happy New Year to all.

message 21: by Werner (new)

Werner Thanks, Steven! As my daughter Rebekah would say, "Right back at ya!" :-)