Children's Books discussion

Books for Specific Age-Groups > Biographies for Preteens

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (last edited Jun 11, 2013 09:18PM) (new)

Eastofoz Can anyone recommend some good biographies for an avid 11 year old? He's read all the Who was/is.... series and a few odds and ends about Louis Braille, Peter Blake etc. He's at an advanced reading level for his age so the The Story of Sir Peter Blake is more what I'm looking for. Any series or stand alone suggestions?

What do you think of the series Horrible Science: Ugly Bugs or Witches or Horrible Geography Of The World? I'm thinking of getting these but I'd like emote info on them.

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:55AM) (new)

Manybooks | 6640 comments Mod
Isn't your son interested in Helen Keller? If he is a good reader, he might enjoy Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller (although it might be a bit long for him, but I think it's also a book you, yourself would likely enjoy reading, I found it excellent). It is not a strict biography though and the author has taken a few (mentioned and explained) liberties, but the story is based on Annie and Helen and is based on historical fact (I would likely call this biographical fiction).

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz He's already read two books about Helen Keller, thanks though :)

message 4: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 127 comments Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance by Jennifer Armstrong

message 5: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Thanks!

message 6: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 6640 comments Mod
Fatty Legs
A Stranger at Home

about the residential school experience for Canadian First Nations