Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Recycle Bin > How NBRC Works; Our Group in a Nutshell

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 04, 2014 05:01AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30637 comments Mod
 photo Ourgroupinanutshell_zps58c7eb39.jpg

NBRC, Novels books & Reading Challenges, is a book club and much much more. We believe reading is fun and find unique and challenging ways to spread the love of reading.

You are not required to read any our Books of the month, only the ones you want.

You are not required to join any of the challenges, only the ones you want.

The aim of this book club is to entice you, grab your imagination, and create an environment where people can discuss their thoughts on books in a warm, friendly and inviting atmosphere thereby making everyone's reading experience more fun.

photo bookclub_zpsa2c62118.jpg

BOOKS OF THE MONTH

Each month Members nominate books to read. We have three separate categories those are:

- Young Adult

- Adult Paranormal/Urban Fantasy/SciFi/Fantasy
FYI, Fantasy includes/encompasses Magical Realism.
By adult, we mean anything categorized as Older than a Young Adult book -- 18+.
--Please note, we do not read erotic books because we are NOT an 18+ group and, therefore, have younger members in our group.

- Anything Goes (except Paranormal/Urban Fiction/Young Adult/SciFi/Fantasy)
FYI, Magical Realism is included under Fantasy and if nominated will not be included from this point on in the polls. We do this to try to keep our group well rounded.

Books which are nominated are entered into polls for which members can vote for their favorite. The book with the highest number of votes in each of the three alotted categories will become one of our books of the month. If for any reason the moderators suspect foul play in voting or have other reasons for thinking the winner of a poll is not a good match for our group, we, as moderators, reserve the right to veto the winner, but thus far that has never happened.

photo 2b007dcb-ff02-4784-a1e1-b784f7c071e8_zps2fbb535f.jpg

BUDDY READS
If you'd like to read a book with someone that isn't a book of the month, then you can request a buddy to read it with you. The three different types of buddy reads we do are “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”. For more information, click here. There are also links to current "buddy reads" there. To try to get someone to read a book with you click here. We can't guarantee someone will read it with you, but if you put in a request with advance warning usually someone will try to read it with you.

photo db6caa57-2f16-4bad-9324-2437c0483fcf_zps2142f3f2.jpg

CHALLENGES

Each month, we also attempt to post one new monthly challenge with others occasionally thrown into the mix as inspiration strikes us. For an explanation on types of challenges, click HERE.

photo 3ad58ac8-8a73-4854-ac7a-7d15aa456bb9_zpsa3530df8.jpg

GAMES

We have a number of games which are book related that we hope supports our reading is fun theme.

photo 0c402324-6924-4731-853d-3724e05e608f_zps357652a8.jpg

NEWSLETTERS

Each Month we send out a newsletter to keep you up-to-date with group happenings--BOMs, Challenges, etc.

photo Memoboard_zpsb79d31bf.png

BULLETIN BOARD

Sometimes we'll make special announcements on the bulletin board. If you see a post posted to the bulletin board, you may wish to check it out.

If you're new,

photo welcome-7_zpsc991fe5a.gif

P.S. We will be adding links and more lengthy explanations of things in the near future. This is still a work in progress.

Pictures used found on the shared area of Photobucket.

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles Blanchard Introduction

Hello I am Charles. I am a writer of novels. My stories interweave elements from the animal and human world. They are fables. Many writers have inspired my work. Most notably Richard Adams, author of Watership Down, The Plague Dogs, among many others, and George Orwell, for his dark brooding dystopian kingdoms.

It's good to know you. Here's a little about me.

Birthday: Jan 23, 1966
Favorite Book(s): Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mockingbird
Favorite Book Genre: I enjoy all types of fiction, but gravitate towards literary fiction.
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Favorite Color:Deep blue
Favorite Food:waffles
Any Pets:Cats that live with my mom in Santo Domingo
If I could live anywhere in the world it would be:
Paris
Finish the line: I know I'm a book addict because it's the first thing I think about when I get up (ie books, my current work, things that perist as worries or concerns about our lives as writers.

message 3: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4673 comments Hi I don't know where to put this but I have been a member of the group for a while and not early joined in BOM discussions before. I am now doing so because of tower teams however, i see we have YA choice,Sci fi/ Fantasy choice and an anything goes. Both in November and december that gives us 2 fantasy books and a YA. Perhaps the anything goes should be anything but fantasy and YA to give everyone a chance at a different genre

message 4: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Marie wrote: "Hi I don't know where to put this but I have been a member of the group for a while and not early joined in BOM discussions before. I am now doing so because of tower teams however, i see we have Y..."

Actually, it gives you 2 fantasy books and mystery. For November and December YA books are also fantasy.

Anything goes is anything but fantasy, paranormal, SF and YA and for November that is Pretty Girls and December Everything I Never Told You

We do keep eye on what's nominated and ask for nomination to be moved if book should be in another thread.

message 5: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4673 comments ❀Tea❀ wrote: "Marie wrote: "Hi I don't know where to put this but I have been a member of the group for a while and not early joined in BOM discussions before. I am now doing so because of tower teams however, i..."

thanks i must have misread it

message 6: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Marie wrote: "thanks i must have misread it "

No problem. Even I had to go back and recheck before answering :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.