The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

2013 Group Reads - Archives > The Forsyte Saga - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (last edited Jun 21, 2013 08:02PM) (new)

Silver Book One - The Man of Property

June 21-June 27 Part 1
June 28-July 9 Part 2
July 10-July 17 Part 3

Interlude 1

July 18-July 21 Indian Summer

Book Two - In Chancery

July 22-Aug 2 Part 1
Aug 3-Aug 14 Part 2
Aug 15-Aug 26 Part 3

Interlude 2

Aug 27- Aug 31 Awakening

Book Three - To Let

Sept 1-Sept 9 Part 1
Sept 10 - 20 Part 2
Sept 21-31 Part 3

If there are any questions or comments about the schedule please let me know. There is still time left for adaptations if anyone feels that it could be tweaked.

Since each of the three books were divided into three parts I wanted to try and use those as natural divisions and breaks within our reading schedule.

message 2: by Lynnm (new)

Lynnm | 3027 comments I wasn't sure if I would have time to participate, but I'm going to give it a try. I just downloaded the book.

Just love the TV mini-series so I'm interested to see how the book and show differ.

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinasreads) Really looking forward to starting these books :)

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim | 1 comments I have read Book One and Interlude 1 and hope to catch up with Books Two and Three along the way. Thoroughly enjoyed The Man of Property. Readers won't be disappointed - it's fantastic!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 317 comments I've just started listening to The Man of Property. Unfortunately, it's narrated by someone who's affected drawl may drive me to distraction. I'll try to persevere and participate in the discussion, or at least, I'll see how it goes, because I probably won't have the time to read the books if listening doesn't work out.

message 6: by MadgeUK (new)

MadgeUK | 5214 comments Try the Librivox recording of it Kim, by a Brit:-

http://archive.org/details/man_proper...

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimmr) | 317 comments MadgeUK wrote: "Try the Librivox recording of it Kim, by a Brit:-

http://archive.org/details/man_proper..."

Thanks, Madge, I'll check it out. The narrator I'm listening to (the late David Case aka Frederick Davidson) was English, but his voice annoys me no end.

message 8: by Lily (last edited Jun 18, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments I've just worked my way through the careful and thoughtful reading plan Silver has laid out for us and marked my Oxford World Classic Edition of the book accordingly. I like that the plan follows the organization of the book. As to be expected, that does mean some sections are shorter, some are longer. However, one of the surprising things that I came to realize by this exercise of transcription was that not every time slot is a week.

I transcribe below some of that detail in case it may be of value to others. (Thank you again, Silver, for your obviously considered efforts!)

Book One - The Man of Property

Fri., June 21 - Thur., June 27 Part 1 (7 days)
15 - 106 91pp
Fri., June 28 - Tue., July 9 Part 2 (12 days)*
107 - 222 115pp
Wed., July 10 - Wed., July 17 Part 3 (8 days)
223 - 297 74pp

Interlude 1

Thur., July 18 - Sun., July 21 Indian Summer (4 days)
301 - 345 44pp

Book Two - In Chancery

Mon., July 22 - Fri., Aug 2 Part 1 (12 days)
349 - 439 90pp
Sat., Aug 3 - Wed., Aug 14 Part 2 (12 days)
441 - 525 84pp
Thur., Aug 15 - Mon., Aug 26 Part 3 (12 days)
527 - 593 66pp

Interlude 2

Tue., Aug 27 - Sat., Aug 31 Awakening (5 days)
597 - 615 18pp

Book Three - To Let

Sun., Sept 1 - Mon., Sept 9 Part 1 (9 days)*
619 - 705 86pp
Tue., Sept 10 - Fri., Sept 20 Part 2 (11 days)
707 - 784 77pp
Sat., Sept 21 - Mon., Sept 30? Part 3 (11 days?)
785 - 850 65pp

* Includes a U.S. holiday

I suspect at least one transcription or arithmetic error has been made in the above. Please let us know any you spot and I'll correct this post.

Edition used:

The Forsyte Saga (Oxford World's Classics) by John Galsworthy The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy

Again, so many thanks to Silver for setting this structure up for us.

message 9: by Silver (new)

Silver Thank you very much, and I appreciate your added detail and attention to the schedule. I did try and factor in the fact that some sections of the book were longer than others, and thus allow extra reading time for those parts.

message 10: by Lily (new)

Lily (joy1) | 2632 comments Silver wrote: "...I did try and factor in the fact that some sections of the book were longer than others, and thus allow extra reading time for those parts."

Silver -- yes, I began to understand all the juggling you did when I realized the schedule start/end days changed from week to week. Your head must have ached the first time through! Hopefully, the second and third times were easier, but I'd bet it took at least that many.

message 11: by Silver (new)

Silver Lily wrote: "Silver wrote: "...I did try and factor in the fact that some sections of the book were longer than others, and thus allow extra reading time for those parts."

Silver -- yes, I began to understand ..."

Haha Yes it did take a few attempts.

The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Forsyte Saga (other topics)