Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World - summer 2013 discussion

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking-Glass
Week 02 - Lewis Carroll > Alice's adventures in wonderland - while you read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bojana (bpop) A thread to discuss Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass. Make sure you mark potential spoilers.

message 2: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae (raerei) I'm planning to read the The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition version of the book. Looking forward to seeing what insights I've missed previously when I read these books.

message 3: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna | 4 comments Good thinking, Rae. I didn't know about this one, and by the time the introductory video was released I already finished another edition. Now back to the basics with the recommended text!

Catherine (catjackson) Rae wrote: "I'm planning to read the The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition version of the book. Looking forward to seeing what insights I've missed previously when I read these books."

Rae, Thanks for posting this suggestion. I was able to find what I think is that book online in PDF form . There are some really good comments in the annotations. The only problem with this version is that you have to keep scrolling up and down to find the numbered annotations. But, it is free!!

message 5: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna | 4 comments The only problem with this version is that you have to keep scrolling up and down to find the numbered annotations

Check if your pdf-viewer has the feature of dividing the page into two parts to scroll separately and read from similtaneously (like in MS Word) - very convenient in this case

message 6: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae (raerei) I'm really enjoying the annotations and it's been interesting. For example apparently Carroll wasn't as fond of the original images. He felt the artist made Alice's head too big.

message 7: by Sana (new)

Sana (ofkittiesandbooks) I haven't started it yet. I am reading Dracula which is extremely detailed. I hope Alice is fun! :)

message 8: by William (last edited Jun 16, 2013 05:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

William (wcoles) | 8 comments I've completed Adventures and have about 40 pages left for Through the Looking-Glass. I was quite familiar with the stories and characters, yet I haven't sat down and read these since I was a child. I have really been enjoying the experience and see so much more with my adult eyes that I didn't get when I was younger. Don't forget, our essays are due on Tuesday, the 18th, just two days away!