Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Multiple editions with same ISBN?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kythe42 (new)

Kythe42 | 3 comments Hi, I'm new to GoodReads and I just got granted Librarian status. I suppose the main reason I wanted to become a Librarian was so I could add book editions if there wasn't an edition there with my book cover, because I'm kind of picky about that. I don't care that much if the edition on my shelf is the exact edition I own, I just want the covers to closely match.

The specific book I want to add a new edition to is The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams. I saw that there was already an edition listed with my ISBN which is: 0345391810

That edition had a different cover than mine though and it was listed as a hard cover and mine is paperback. I saw that there was already an alternate-cover edition listed for that ISBN which had the same cover as the first one but it was listed as a paperback.

I'm not sure if it's common for hard covers and paperbacks to have the same ISBN but anyway...
In this case should I just add another alternate-cover edition for my paperback edition with the cover that I own?

Also I believe the rules state that the only online cover images I'm allowed to use have to come from the Amazon website. Is there a way to directly import the specific image from Amazon, or do I just save the image on my computer and upload it?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Kythe

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41101 comments Mod
Kythe42 wrote: "In this case should I just add another alternate-cover edition for my paperback edition with the cover that I own?"

Yes, if one does not already exist.

Kythe42 wrote: "Also I believe the rules state that the only online cover images I'm allowed to use have to come from the Amazon website."

Not quite. http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/25...

Regardless of source, you will have to upload from your computer. There is no way to import an image from another site.

message 3: by Kythe42 (new)

Kythe42 | 3 comments Ok thanks very much for the information. Oddly enough with over 100 different editions listed for that title, I didn't see any alternate-cover editions with the cover that I own. There was one that was similar for an audio book edition but I'd rather not use a cover that says audio book on it.

Thanks for the link for the cover images help topic. I was having trouble finding it again. I guess it looks like the only thing that's not really allowed is to use cover images from book sellers other than Amazon. The reason I asked about importing an image directly from a website is because I'm not sure how you'd be able to tell if an image came from a source that wasn't allowed if someone just uploads from their computer?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41101 comments Mod
Image files contain information not visible to the naked eye.

message 5: by Kythe42 (new)

Kythe42 | 3 comments Ah ok, I guess you're talking about some sort of encryption type thing. Thanks again for the information.