r/books discussion

Book-Related Discussion > Video Games and Lit (and a little bit of Gatsby too)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
So I was on reddit's r/books today and I came across this link:

http://greatgatsbygame.com/

Not sure if anyone saw it. It's pretty neat! But aside from that, I was wondering how people not only feel, but what do they think about games based on books? Any good ones? Any bad ones? Any concepts of which you wish was a game?

My friend raves about Alan Wake for Xbox, but it's not based on a book. The game is about an author who has to go through the hell of his own book and find his way.

I know a lot of video games came from comic books or vice versa where the games inspired the book/comic books.

Thoughts book clubbers?

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 16 comments there are two games called metro 2033 and metro last light that are based on a book of the same name (metro 2033) I can't speak for the book because I haven't read it but the games are fantastic. that's the only game I can think of that based off a book that wasn't also made into a movie

message 3: by Ashley (last edited Jun 11, 2013 08:12AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) My two main hobbies are video games and books! Here is a goodreads list of videogame novels/trades:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/11...

More often the game comes out first and then the novel(s) are written after.

I started reading the Halo series a while ago, I got through the first one, The Fall of Reach, easily because it went into the background of the Spartans and especially John. The second novel in the series couldn't keep my interest, it quickly becomes all about politics and battle tactics which is fine and all- but not really my thing. I may get around to finishing the series at some point but it's not a top priority.

I am also super excited that my favorite comic, FABLES, is currently being made into a game that is going by the title of 'The Wolf Among Us.'

My favorite marriage of novel and video game is the .hack series because it is so expansive. There is something like 7 different anime, 4 series of video games, and about 15 different manga and novel series. Crazy, right?? What's great about the .hack universe is that you can't piece together the *entire* story unless you read/watch/play everything.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexgmcm) | 41 comments There are Deus Ex, The Elder Scrolls and Bioshock books?!

Also Shadowrun has books (the remake comes out next month accompanied with a new book IIRC, I remember playing the original on the SNES #soold)

I'd never heard of .hack it seems cool though.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam | 7 comments Not strictly based on a real video game, but imagine a future where second life and world of Warcraft had a baby - so that you can get a job online to pay your bills offline, order food in game that is delivered to your actual front door, etc. Now imagine the CEO of the company behind that program left his wealth and ownership rights to the company at the end of an in-game treasure hunt, and that's Ready Player One in a nutshell. It's also chuck full of '80s pop culture references as an added bonus. Check it out!

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Tveit (vikingabroad) | 33 comments Adam wrote: "Not strictly ..." Forgotten that I had added this one to my 'To Read'. Thanks for mentioning it. Will be the next one on my list.

(Anybody else have an issue with the ToRead being too big, and that you forget about books that you really want to pick up?)

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) @Adam I am absolutely going to check out Ready Player One, thanks for telling us about it.

@Viking It's great to have such a wonderful database as Goodreads right at our fingertips but I get what you mean. Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed when I go into my 'To Reads'.

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex Tveit (vikingabroad) | 33 comments Adam wrote: "Not strictly based on a real video game, but imagine a future where second life and world of Warcraft had a baby - so that you can get a job online to pay your bills offline, order food in game tha..."

Thanks for reminding me to read this book! Just finished it, and the geek/gamer/techie in me had a blast. Also, if anyone likes audiobooks, Wil Wheaton was the narrator, and did a great job imo.

message 9: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
Wil Wheaton! I had no clue, I might listen to this audiobook.