The Hobbit The Hobbit discussion

New hobbit movie vs. 70s hobbit movie

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matt The new hobbit took out and added lots of stuff like the whole into and the feud between the dwarfs and elfs. But the original hobbit movie didn't change stff and was closer to the book.

Kate Murray . . . But the original Hobbit movie was paired with the animated Return of the King. I repeat, The. Animated. Return. Of. The. King.
"When there's a whip/there's a way (in falsetto) We don't wanna go to war today!"

Luna Belle Pris The original gollumn was creepy! (Check him out on youtube) It has been a long time since I saw the whole thing but hard to compare. I like the new one. The new movie was so great I love it!

Pickle i am not some super fan of the hobbit and also have same memory capacity as a casio watch but i much preferred the older movie.

I thought the new movie was simply an action movie that took things a little too far.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

wait! There are two The Hobbit movies? I thought it was just The Lord of the Rings+The Hobbit.

Mark Kaye What original Hobbit Movie?

Scott The Rankin-Bass animated film.

I re-watched it recently for the first time since I was a child. I wouldn't say it was bad, but it's definitely for kids.

Mark Kaye Wow yeah> I just IMDB'ed it. lol.

Marybeth i like the new one better.

Alexandra I recently discovered the Soviet film version of "The Hobbit". Although obviously struggling with the technological limitations of when it was made (1985), I thought it a great improvement on the Rankin-Bass animation. Definitely less cute-sey.

Feliks Matt wrote: "The new hobbit took out and added lots of stuff like the whole into and the feud between the dwarfs and elfs. But the original hobbit movie didn't change stff and was closer to the book."

Anything done in the 70's was light-years ahead of the nonsense foisted on us by that coward and fakir, Peter Jackson.

Geoffrey Wasn`t the 70`s flic a Bakshi production. Egads. If it was anything like FRITZ THE CAT, I am glad I never saw it.

message 13: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack Conner I love the animated "Hobbit" movie. In tone and pacing it felt much truer to the novel than the LOTR-ified PJ version. Not that LOTR-ifying is a bad thing, really, although I do think the simple story doesn't comfortably support a massive trilogy. One film would have been better. Still, this way we get to spend three extra movies in Middle-Earth.

Duane Vore I'm surprised so many people like the 1977 version. When I saw it, I was gravely disappointed. The animation was crap and the music corny. "Where There's a Whip There's a Way" was the only song with a touch of cleverness.

I guess the difference is how much one reveres Tolkien's writing. I've often said that Jackson squeezed LOTR into half the time it merited, and The Hobbit into three times the time. But for me, the critical factor is not strict adherence to the story (additions and development are OK, CHANGING story lines is not) but immersion into the world he created. I think Jackson does a much better job, even with additions, than Rankin and Bass did.

I will agree, though, that the 1977 Gollum was creepier.

George The old Hobbit movie maybe closer to the spirit that was Tolkien, in writing for his young nephew? The new Hobbit movie, I imagine, is the spirit the Nephew, if he was anything like me, liked to perceive the story.

message 16: by Mari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mari Feliks wrote: "Matt wrote: "The new hobbit took out and added lots of stuff like the whole into and the feud between the dwarfs and elfs. But the original hobbit movie didn't change stff and was closer to the b..."

Well the feud between elves and dwarves was a very big part of the book.

message 17: by Mari (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mari George wrote: "The old Hobbit movie maybe closer to the spirit that was Tolkien, in writing for his young nephew? The new Hobbit movie, I imagine, is the spirit the Nephew, if he was anything like me, liked to pe..."

Wow. Great way to say it.

Marybeth The new hobbit movie is awesome

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

The new Hobbit movie is absolutely amazing hands down.

message 20: by Geoffrey (last edited Dec 31, 2013 10:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geoffrey Saw it last night and regretted that it took Hollywood so long to put it on the silver screen. I have waited 49 years to see it. I have never seen the predecesor, nor did I know it existed. I am aware that Bakshi did an animation of it in the late seventies which I avoided having seen his earlier FRITZ THE CAT, more appropriately named with a change of the first two letters.

My major complaint was similar to my take on STAR WARS; too many of the enemy easily killed and too few of the héroes injured. The action was so unbalanced in favor of the good guys I found it way too unbelievable. I lost my suspensión of belief. All those orcs at the river and they could not shoot the fish in the barrels.

Not that I wanted the dwarves to get killed but it could have been toned down. Vanquishing héroes, inept bad guys. How is it that the orcs, who live by the sword, are such poor soldiers?

Jeanie George wrote: "The old Hobbit movie maybe closer to the spirit that was Tolkien, in writing for his young nephew? The new Hobbit movie, I imagine, is the spirit the Nephew, if he was anything like me, liked to pe..."

FYI, The Hobbit was originally developed and told to Tolkien's own children, not a nephew. He claimsto have written it down in order to avoid continuity discrepancies between tellings--his son Christopher reportedly knew which color hoods and tassles belonged together and to which dwarves.

message 22: by Mila (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mila Fitos there was a hobbit movie made in the seventies?? O.O