YA & NA Romance ♥ discussion

All About Books! > When Did You Start Reading As A Hobby?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna♥, The Queen Bri (new)

Brianna♥ (briannaforrest) | 964 comments Mod
When Did You Start Reading As A Hobby?

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly Letson (bookaholicholly) | 15 comments Reading has always been my biggest hobby. I started reading at age 3, and have always enjoyed it.

message 3: by Diamond (last edited Jun 12, 2013 01:41AM) (new)

Diamond Drake (diamondthewriter) | 152 comments My father made me do a book report during the summer when I was twelve. I was SO mad but the book turned out to be wonderful and from that moment on I was addicted to reading.

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 17 comments At the end of 2009, beginning of 2010, I read a book because I was bored and then my sister being addicted to reading bought me Skellig by David Almond and Uglies by Scott Westerfeld and from that moment on.. I read and read and read...

message 5: by Annagh (new)

Annagh (AmateurPhilosophy) I remover always reading as a child but never to enjoy it just to accomplish, you know what I mean? But I started reading in 7th grade an assigned book called the giver and felt myself fall into the story and ever since I'm an addict

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin  | 30 comments I started reading when I was 8 and only because I loved the first Harry Potter movie and didn't want to wait to find out what happened been reading ever since. but my little boy is only 2 1/2 and loves books :) got him started early hope to have him reading by himself before he starts school.

message 7: by esther (new)

esther I started reading when i was 13. It was during the december holidays. My mum had brought home a novel for me. From then on, iv been all for it.

message 8: by Bonny Bon Bon (new)

Bonny Bon Bon (bonnybonbon) | 22 comments I hated reading until roughly 2 years ago when i saw a friend reading and she gave me a brief run down of the story then lent it to me. Richelle Mead's - Vampire Academy changed my opinion and ive been reading books ever since and questioning my sanity up until that point lol

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena Dillon (elenadillon) | 18 comments The minute I learned to read at age 5 I read everything I could get my hands on. I think the fact that I could escape to another place as long as I had a book was very appealing to me. When I have to come up with answers for that question "What are your hobbies?" I can never think of anything else except reading!

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily about a year ago when I got a kindle. I always read periodically here and there but not like I have in the past year I maybe read 4-5 books a year now I am reading more than that a month sometimes in a week

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 124 comments Emily wrote: "about a year ago when I got a kindle. I always read periodically here and there but not like I have in the past year I maybe read 4-5 books a year now I am reading more than that a month sometimes..."

An excellent argument for any kid to use when asking for an e-reader or tablet! My kids love to read, but they also read more now that they have easy(ier?) access to books on their Kindle apps!

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimmylam88) | 6 comments I've always love to read ever since I started reading when I was 6 or 7. So I guess its a hobby ever since then :)

message 13: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Sternshein (bookdorkjenn) | 93 comments it seems like everyone has always loved to read, it's funny i hated reaading until i was like 18 then i started really getting into crime novels my mom would read and then give to me... Then when i got pregnant at 24 i became obsessed with reading all kinds of genre and most of the time a book was in my hand, now of course it's my tablet with the kindle app open. I am so happy to find GR and meet others as obsessed as me, pretty much all my friends around me make fun of how much i read, i think my older sister is the only one who supports on addiction. Lol

message 14: by Jaden (new)

Jaden Wilkes (jadenwilkes) | 4 comments I was raised by a hippy mom with no TV, I've been reading for as long as I can remember. :)

message 15: by Brianna♥, The Queen Bri (last edited Jul 03, 2013 05:41PM) (new)

Brianna♥ (briannaforrest) | 964 comments Mod
Jenn wrote: "it seems like everyone has always loved to read, it's funny i hated reaading until i was like 18 then i started really getting into crime novels my mom would read and then give to me... Then when i..."

This sounds like my life exactly! Lol Minus the pregnant part and I'm 23... Haha! :)

I think I got into reading the most when I read the Stephanie Plum series (yes, all 19 of the books!) by Janet Evanovich! They even made the first book - One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich -into a movie! :) The whole series is hilarious! I really liked listening to the Audio CDs - Laurelei King is a very talented and entertaining narrator!

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I have always loved to read, even as a kid in school. I think that it became a hobby when I got my first e reader, it was just so much easier to read with that since you didn't have to carry a book around. Now I pretty much always have it with me, you never know when you will have to wait somewhere and have the perfect opportunity to read!

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy (judyzreadsalot) | 29 comments I was never big into reading. :( I remember going to meet my future in laws for the first time, and I just could not believe how boring they were! They just sat around and read all day!! haha
I come from a big, loud, Italian family and there's always something to do, someone to talk to. His family consisted of his parents and a younger sister. They would each have a book and would be sitting off in a corner somewhere READING! I wanted to bolt!! How boring!!!
In 2004, when my husband deployed for the first time, I joined a book club, just to make friends with the other wives. I got hooked on Nicholas Sparks! I read any book of his I could get my hands on! That was the last I read until this last year, when my husband deployed again. A friend suggested I read FSOG. Well, I could not put it down! I was SO obsessed and in love with Anastasia and Christian that I read it 3 times in a row. All 3 books that is! I finally decided it was time to read something else and haven't stopped since. I probably read 5-7 books a week!

message 18: by F.W. (new)

F.W. Pinkerton (FWPinkerton) | 5 comments I always read as a young child although struggled a little bit as am dyslexic but love being taken away and have always immersed myself in the story.

As a job for quite a long time I worked for myself as a paint sprayer and found that I would read a chapter,spray a coat,read a chapter.So in a working day I could normally read a lot of a book. I still read a lot at work as its very quiet with no distractions- which really suits me.

I was very meh about the whole idea of Kindles, as I love the feel of books and am really anal about keeping them in perfect condition but my best friend bought me a kindle for Christmas last year and it has opened up another whole world, and allowed me to read authors and books I never ever would have tried.

I still buy the odd paperback (particulary if its a series as I like them all lined up on the bookshelf:O but its probably twenty books on kindle now for every paperback- plus I am quite conscious of the environment so do think it saves a lot of trees (hug).

I probably read 3 books a week in summer and about 4+ in the winter. It does depend on work though, as I am sure if I stopped reading I might actually earn something. Late afternoons and evenings I tend to write rather than read. (that's if I am not playing Wow :O lol.

message 19: by Turtlefrog (new)

Turtlefrog I have always been a big reader. I was that girl in jr high and high school who actually did check books out of the school library and city library. But as I got older college and work took up more and more of my time. So I didn't read as much. But over the last 5 years or so I have gotten back into my passion. I try to read as much as I can where ever I can!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it was about five years ago for me. My memory isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris | 176 comments I've always been an avid reader, but there were times when my kids were younger that I couldn't always find the time.

message 22: by Joy (last edited Nov 21, 2013 05:02AM) (new)

Joy Daniels (joy_daniels) In utero? As soon as I could hold a book? I used to read in the back of the room when I finished my classwork - my second-grade teacher said I always had my nose in a book.

The folks in the local library all know me because I always have a dozen or more books on hold (today I have to return 10 and pick up 15 :-) ) My dad jokes I take out books by the pound.

I was recently in the Boston Public Library main branch and I felt positively giddy about being surrounded by all those books! I'm heading down to the Library of Congress next week and I may just pass out.

--Joy