Authors & Reviewers discussion

Tips & Tricks for Authors > Begining Stages of Writing a Book

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:20PM) (new)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 589 comments Mod
So authors, when you are writing a book, what do you do first. How do you plan, create characters, and start your book? Is there something special you do to begin writing?

message 2: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Stewart (authorjmstewart) I don't personally plan anything. I let my characters lead me. I usually begin with a character. Usually the heroine comes to me first, though not always. And I sit and I talk to them, in my head. Sounds strange, but they're not make believe to me. I live and breathe these people for months, so they're real to me. Once I have the basics of what their story will be about, I just start writing. I let them take me where they will and straighten out the plot later.

message 3: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (new)

awesome! I have talk to a lot of different authors, who think the same way. They let their characters speak to them.

message 4: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (marisaoldham) | 554 comments Mod
J.M. wrote: "I don't personally plan anything. I let my characters lead me. I usually begin with a character. Usually the heroine comes to me first, though not always. And I sit and I talk to them, in my head. ..."

Hi J.M.,
I just finished the final book in my 3 part series of novels and I cried my eyes out. Mainly because of what I wrote but I swear I feel like I had to say goodbye to good friends. I feel sorta weird now. I've been working on these novels for about a year and now I'm at a loss of what to do.

M

message 5: by Marisa (new)

I don't do any outlines or planning. I started writing because I was in bed after a major surgery and I told my sister, "If I can get five people to read and like this book, I'll write another."
Next thing I knew I was 385 pages into the second book and planning to finish the story with about the same size 3rd and last book. I finished it yesterday and it is 569 pages!
I write ideas down if they come to me and I brainstorm with my sister.
I also record myself brainstorming on my iphone.

I just sit here at this laptop and type away. I write the entire story as I read it chapter by chapter, aloud, to my sister.

We then do another read through, checking for errors in the story, spelling/typo errors and formatting errors.

After I do the second read through I order two paperback copies, one for me and one for my editor. I re-read the paperback highlighting any errors I find and I use sticky tabs to mark the pages. I get the edits from my editor and fix those in my Word document, fix the errors I find and then it's time to print and release!

;)

message 6: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (new)

congrats on the book!

message 7: by Marisa (new)

Thanks Jackie. Formatting it right now :) Hoping to send it to the printer tomorrow night.

message 8: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (new)

:)

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Isaac (stephenrisaac) | 8 comments I basically just sit down with a notebook and a pen. I write the entire novel in a series of notebook first and then when it is complete, I go back through the notebooks and type it into the computer.

This gives me a chance to edit and write sections of the novel.

I do not, however, sit down and outline the novel ahead of time. I simply let it flow from chapter to chapter unrestricted.

I have found that sometimes you think something is a cool idea, until later when you are looking back at it. I feel if you outline the book and stick to it, then you can get stuck in that "oh, I thought it was cool, once" situation.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I start out by writing mine as a script; just basic actions and dialog. It's like an extraordinarily detailed outline. I then write a second draft where I add in details, descriptions, emotions, the POV that it is going to be in, character's thoughts, etc. From there I transfer it to my computer in the third draft where I might take out a chapter, change an idea, or add something entirely new. From there it is various forms of editing.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Isaac (stephenrisaac) | 8 comments Stephen wrote: "I basically just sit down with a notebook and a pen. I write the entire novel in a series of notebook first and then when it is complete, I go back through the notebooks and type it into the comput..."

So you use the notebook method too? and then transfer into computer later?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Baeringer | 10 comments I use a notebook then computer method also. Fot some reason ideas flow more fluently when it comes from my hand into the pen. I usually get hit with a lightning bolt of either a particular character or situation. Then I build from around that. No outlines. I will re-read things after I write to to insert, scratch out, or clarify things.

message 13: by Lan (new)

Lan LLP | 59 comments Because my nature is to be structured and organized, I thought an outline of my story would be the best method for me. But I've come to the same conclusion as everyone here, your thoughts are sporadic and creativity can't be contained in an outline. My second story began as I outlined and since last night, it took a complete turn, leaving my outline in limbo.

@Marisa- I'm also heading down that sad path knowing that my late evenings with my two characters will soon end as soon as I complete the last sentence of my last book. It's funny how these made-up characters become so REAL in your head- in every way.

message 14: by Marisa (new)

Lan,

It's like losing best friends. Of course if you write a spinoff and include your precious MC then it's not so bad lol (guilty)

message 15: by Mishana (new)

Mishana Khot (mishana_khot) | 11 comments Hey, good question! I've wondered about the 'right way' to do this so often, and am still trying to find a perfect answer.

I used to start writing as soon as inspiration struck, whether it was a scene, or a name, or even just an awesome line. But then I realized that that left me high and dry as soon as I'd put that little bit down on paper. Now I let it play around in my head for some time, until I have a basic plot outlined. Then I put it on paper, and then start writing.

It's worked for me thus far, but I wonder if there's a better way to do it.