Authors & Reviewers discussion

Tips & Tricks For Reviewers > Rating A Book

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews, Head MOD!! (last edited Jun 10, 2013 07:23PM) (new)

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) | 589 comments Mod
When you rate a book, what do you base it off of? Do you think about spelling, or structure? Break it down for me and tell me what your stars mean!

message 2: by Marisa (new)

Marisa Oldham (marisaoldham) | 554 comments Mod
I don't. It's strictly did I like it or not. I rate like I'm rating movies on Netflix.
1-star = HATED IT (I rarely hate a book so much that I give it 1 star)
2-stars I didn't like it very much.
3-stars I liked it (it was not horrible not great)
4-stars I REALLY liked it
5-stars I loved it so much I won't turn my paperback copy in to the used book store ;)

message 3: by María (last edited Jun 13, 2013 09:19PM) (new)

María | 30 comments I try to tell something personal about the book. Why I liked and what are the memories I have from it...
I studied Literary Theory in College (I'm a Spanish Teacher) but I rather write about the book that its structure. When I have to write a review in English is awful because I think it is so flat but I usually can`t find the right word or sentence to express myself. In Spanish is a pleasure but I don't always have time to do it.
I like to read others review when I finished a book because they help me to apreciate the book I have read even when I didn't think the same about it.

message 4: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Stewart (authorjmstewart) For me, my ratings are all about whether or not I liked the book and why, because as a reader, when I read a book's reviews, this is what I'm looking for. If the book didn't work for me, I tend to detail why, but I also try to state what I DID like about it as well.

1 star--Hated it. Would not recommend it to my dog. I don't give these out much.
2 stars--Didn't like it. Just wasn't for me and/or it had too many problems I couldn't set aside.
3 stars--It was okay. It wasn't a terrible book, but I didn't fall in love with it either. A decent read, enjoyable, but not one I'm likely to read again.
4 stars--Great read. Really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to others.
5 stars--Fantastic book. I'm more than likely raving about it and it comes highly recommended. These are the books that really touch me in some way. If you make me cry, it's an automatic 5 stars from me, because that's hard to do.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 11 comments Pretty much agree with J.M.'s post.

For me the acid test of a 5 star read is if I'd like to pick it up again and start re-reading it that same day or the next and knowing that pass #2 won't be the last.

Of course I also look for the following:
1) characters that I care about or enjoy spending time with.
2) an epiphany generating idea
3) a novel / permanent change in my perspective
4) an engrossing or thrilling or fantasy fulfilling story
5) amazing new imagery
6) a sense of new-found worth, discernment, and/or understanding

A five star read had better hit on at least a few of these.

message 7: by Boots (new)

Boots | 14 comments If a book has made me feel something, doesn't matter if it's made me cry or made me so angry I want to reach through the pages and punch someone.

I like to be able to relate a bit to characters in a book.

So-
1 star) couldn't finish it, hated it so much that I never look at it again.
2 stars) it's not going on my favourite book list.
3 stars) middle of the road, if i know someone that would like it i'd tell them about it.
4 stars) I liked it and would read it again.
5 stars) will re-read it over and over because it was awesome. I'll most likely be telling everyone I know to read it.

I do find it hard to give ratings though because I enjoy most books… I think I have an addiction. ;)

message 8: by Krithika (new)

Krithika (krithikasridhar) | 2 comments For me rating is about:
How much the book has sucked me in?
Does the book make me forget the world outside?
Do the characters make me feel their emotions as i read the book?

So this is how i rate it:

1* - didn't/couldn't finish it,BORING
2*- Not my favourite but was able to finish the book.TSTL characters.
3*- OK.Slow paced.
4*-Amazing characters.Able to get involved in the book.
5*-AWESOME.Would love to read again and again.Tell everyone about the book.Made me forget the world outside.