A Walk to Remember A Walk to Remember question

"Miracle" passages from A Walk to remember
Marie Marie Jun 10, 2013 01:08PM
Hi guys. I know there is already a discussion topic about the ending's interpretation, but I wanted to emphasize in this discussion the potential meaning of Landon's "miracle". He had said it a lot often in the book after discovering Jamie's ill. I am one of the fans of the book who never actually believed that Jamie passed away. I believed that Jamie had survived that's why Landon couldn't find any reason to take off the ring from his ring finger. He didn't have the desire to do so because they're perhaps still together 40 years later.

Here are some of the passages I found from the book that relate to Landon's constant pray for "miracle"

"These days it might have been different, these days they could have treated her. These days Jamie would probably live. But this was happening forty years ago, and I knew what that meant. Only a miracle could save her."

-From this passage alone, we could see that Landon's hope for a miracle was that Jamie survive the incurable disease. [this was the very first time Landon prayed for a miracle]

"I waited for the miracle. It hadn't come"

-The text that came after this was Landon narrating how Jamie was getting worse, and her dosage of pills had increased. He was still praying for Jamie's impossible recovery

"I know some of you may wonder if I was doing it out of pity. [...] The answer to both is no. I would have married Jamie Sullivan no matter what happened in the future. I would have married Jamie Sullivan if the miracle I was praying for had suddenly come true. I knew it at the moment I asked her, and I still know it today."

- I don't know about you, but I think this passage had said a lot what miracle Landon was hoping for. :)

"I smile slightly, looking toward the sky, knowing there's one thing I still haven't told you: I now believe, by the way, that miracles can happen"

-what a beautiful way to end such beautiful story.

So, what do you think Landon's miracle was?

The miracle may be that, Landon have changed into a fine and good person. That's what Jamie wanted too.A better world. Right?

"If you wanted Jamie to live, she lived. If you knew that Jamie would die, she died. As for me (and I’m not the final say—I wrote the characters, but readers know them just as well as I do), I thought there was a good chance that Jamie lived. At least, I hoped so." Nicholas Sparks answered this question on his website. The end of the book was an open ending, meaning that if you thought she lived then she lived and vice versa. It was all about what you thought happened.

I hate to be the negative one here, but there's absolutely no indication that Jamie lived.
At the end Landon constantly refers to the fact that she didn't have much time left and that there was no chance of her getting better. On page 234, he says "I didn't care that we wouldn't have long together" and "Some of the more cynical may even wonder if I did it because she'd be gone soon anyway...the answer to both questions is no."

Nowhere does he negate the idea that Jamie didn't live much longer. In fact the ending is showing his closure after she's gone.

In the very last few paragraphs, he says that he still loves her and that he's never taken off his wedding ring, and that he's never wanted to.
There'd be absolutely no purpose in pointing those things out if she was alive and well.
He still has his ring on because he's still honoring his commitment to her.
It's not wrong to move on after your spouse dies, but I think in Landon's case, when he married Jamie, he did it knowing that she wouldn't live long, but intended to "stay married to her" until he died anyway.

As far as "the miracle", there's no mention of a specific miracle at the end. It just says that he believes in miracles.
I think he was talking about himself, actually. It was a testament to how drastically his life was changed for the better by meeting and falling in love with Jamie.

But yeah, sorry but there's nothing that leads me to believe in the slightest that Jamie has a miraculous recovery. If she did, the end of the book would be talking about their life together and their family rather than the fact that Jamie was still in love with her and still wore his ring.

I believe that Jamie lived.

Yeah. After i read that " Miracle " Line. i really thought Jamie really lived. :) Or i hope so.

I'm sure Jamie didn't live. Sparks just wanted to write it nicely, and the miracle was that Landon's soul was saved.
What I never really understood was that how Landon loved Jamie after 40 years too. I think in real life he really should've married someone else by then. And of course he loved her, but her sickness had something to do with him marrying her too, I think. Maybe he would've married her if she wasn't ill too, but not so fast.

Wow. I read the book but it never crossed my mind that Jamie lived. Nice perspective.

The book and movie was so heart breaking happy and sad story. I found the book less upsetting then the movie. Every time I watch the movie I can't stop crying it's so beautiful and I feel so sad for Landon and just wish that Jamie didn't die. I think this whole process of Landon falling in love with Jamie was a life changing for Landon and personally even though it ended sadly for him. I still think that it was for the best and now Landon is turned out to be a better person.

If Jamie really survived... why they don't have a child?

To add also think that Jamie got to die with is peace as she had her wishes to come true. win win situation I think

deleted member Jun 11, 2013 08:03AM   0 votes
According to me,its that jamie lived.I have read the books 5 times and it is Simply amazing

The miracle with Landon was his love. Only his love. He hasn't loved anyone like Jamie. According to Landon, Jamie was the reason Landon is how he is. That thought is also a miracle.
I would also like to give an answer to the criticism of some people that AWTR is sad ending. It is soooo not a sad ending! Just because the heroine dies doesn't mean that the book is sad ending. The love between them, it didn't end, it didn't break, it didn't fall or it didn't reduce. The essence of love was always up to mark. Only some people have the opportunity to be that hard in love. That is the point that we must analyse before concluding whether its sad ending or happy ending, right friends??

The miracle is that he met Jamie.

Marie Landon mentioned in the book that only a miracle could save Jamie..... In a few more pages after that, he mentioned he prayed for a miracle that still ...more
Sep 19, 2013 09:59PM
Kristen Repetition of the word miracle does not mean those things are connected. When Landon says only a miracle would save her, that was the truth. Medicine ...more
Sep 30, 2013 10:21PM

FAQ from Nicholas Sparks Website:

What did the last sentence mean?

Either the miracle was that Jamie lived (if that was the ending you imagined), or that Landon had experienced the miracle of first love and it had redeemed him (if you imagined that Jamie died).