Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? - June 2013

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kellismith) | 183 comments Mod
Welcome! This ongoing discussion is your place to share what you are reading and what you think about it!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 33 comments Depending on my mood, I'm reading a couple different books:

-"Nine Stories" by J.D. Salinger ::: I'm really enjoying this but haven't picked it up in a while due to other book distractions! So far I have only read about 3 or 4 of the stories and have been surprised by each ending.

-"My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (with recipes)" by Luisa Wesi ::: While I'm only about 75 pages into this book, it's enjoyable so far. The author went back and forth between living with her mom in Berlin and living with her father in Boston. A recipe is listed at the end of each chapter for foods mentioned, and it now is getting into the love story.

"Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1)" by Louise Rennison ::: I have this on audio-book at work for my dose of YA this month! While I have yet to actually start, I remember my little sister reading the series when I was younger and she thought it was hilarious. I've heard the same from adults today, so I'm looking forward to something goofy.

message 3: by Thad (new)

Thad | 31 comments Mod
I just started the new Stephen King book Joyland. It's a fun, quick read. I hadn't read any Stephen King books for quite some time, but I really enjoyed 11/22/63 and thought this one looked good.

message 4: by Kelli (new)

Let me know how you like the Stephen King book. I'm sort of entertained by the fact that you can substitute Topeka's lost but treasured Boyle's Joyland for the setting instead of a North Carolina amusement park. :)

message 5: by Kelli (new)

I just finished Blood Oath by Christopher Farnsworth which I really enjoyed. If you like your vampire stories colliding with your secret agent stories then I recommend this series.

I have started reading Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. This is definitely not my usual read since it's chalked full of emails and diary entries, but I can't quit laughing outloud at the insane world the characters are living in. It takes place in Seattle and is full of characters that have plenty of money and time on their hands.

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina Franklin (topcitydiva) | 4 comments I do the same thing Erin (read several books at a time, lol.) I haven't heard of Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging.... hmmmm may have to add to my ever growing list!

Erin wrote: "Depending on my mood, I'm reading a couple different books:

-"Nine Stories" by J.D. Salinger ::: I'm really enjoying this but haven't picked it up in a while due to other book distractions! So far..."

message 7: by Kelli (new)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette was hilarious. i\If you like reading about dysfunctional families I recommend it. The author wrote for Arrested Development too.

I am now reading And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. I love this author and will continue to read anything he publishes. I find his writing beautiful and haunting.