Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > How can a newbie Librarian get feed back

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frenchie (new)

Frenchie | 31 comments Hi Everyone. If someone is a newbie librarian and does some editing, how can s/he knows s/he doing OK? what about if s/he makes mistakes and no one sees it?
I love books, I love reading, as a matter of facts, books are a huge part of my life and I sometimes notice errors so, I wanted to help managing them.
It is a big responsibility of course, and I want to do my best, but what if/when I make mistakes? how will I know? I read the manual a lot of times but I would like to know I am doing ok or if I should just give up.
I was reading some Librarians do 3,000 edits a day. LOL, if I do one, I am happy ... when I read all the post here by experienced Librarians, I am a bit overwhelmed.

message 2: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 3 comments I'm with her on this... and I'm actually a MSIS grad student with an ludicrous interest in metadata and object retrieval. :)

I've gone through the manual step by step and used some items I'm familiar with... and I'm still sort of at a loss. Maybe we should start a Newbie thread to pick our way along.
:D
I'm relieved that someone else feels overwhelmed.
:)

message 3: by Catalina (last edited Jun 10, 2013 01:11PM) (new)

Catalina | 2065 comments I started with stuff that I was 100% sure I know how to do(like editing titles, number of pages, adding new books after properly verified the info on WorldCat, Amazon etc), and observed every topic and every answers to more complicated issues in order to learn some more. Everyone is free and should post here asking for help before doing changes she/he is not sure about. More experienced librarians are always kind to help us.
And of course everything comes with experience, in time, I have a few months now, but I learn new stuff every day :)

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7026 comments Questions are welcomed, feel free to post.

If you specifically want to make a change but asking for advice before you do, just mention in the post so that no one makes the change but let's you do it

message 5: by Frenchie (new)

Frenchie | 31 comments Pheww.. I am not alone. It does feel better **smiles**

Thank you Paula. I'll bear this in mind. But be prepared for a thousand questions then..

Have a lovely day everyone.

message 6: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Better a thousand questions now rather than a thousand repairs later. Seriously, we like questions.