Pennsylvania discussion

Group Book Reads > Book read for July anyone?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments I would like to see if anyone is interested in doing a book read for July. We have a wide span of interests in the group so therefore I will give a list of books that vary differently. The books all have some connection to Pennsylvania. Here are the list of books. Please vote on which you would be interested in. Or if there is another you really would love to read please share that with us.

1. Appointment in Samarra http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

2. The Amish of Lancaster County
3. Being Someone Else http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/90...

4. Hallowed Ground http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

5. Because I Can

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments I think I own The Amish Of Lancaster County. The author was a professor at my old college (Elizabethtown), and while I never had him personally, I had a professor who co wrote other books with him.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments They all sound good; as long as I can get my hands on whichever book is chosen, I would love to take part in this :)

message 4: by J.R. (new)

J.R. | 81 comments Wendy wrote: "I would like to see if anyone is interested in doing a book read for July. We have a wide span of interests in the group so therefore I will give a list of books that vary differently. The books al..."

Thanks for including Being Someone Else, Wendy.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments Natalie wrote: "They all sound good; as long as I can get my hands on whichever book is chosen, I would love to take part in this :)"

I think it may just be you and me. Would you like to still read one together?

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments J.R. wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I would like to see if anyone is interested in doing a book read for July. We have a wide span of interests in the group so therefore I will give a list of books that vary differently..."
absolutely! :-)

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Wendy wrote: "Natalie wrote: "They all sound good; as long as I can get my hands on whichever book is chosen, I would love to take part in this :)"

I think it may just be you and me. Would you like to still rea..."

Sure!! Which one would you like to read? If it isn't The Amish Of Lancaster County I may need about a week to get a hold of the book if that's okay. I am actually going to a huge book bonanza located in Reading next Sunday. Who knows, maybe I'll find one of those books there! :) Please do not let my owning of only one book sway you in your decision of which one you would like to read. I am open to any of them :)

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments P.S. I have never done this before, so I am not really clear on how this works. Do we read the whole book and then discuss, or discuss after so many chapters? Please just let me know how we go about this. I am really excited! I always wanted to have a book club!! (I am even currently trying to talk my mom into reading some of the classics, such as The Catcher In The Rye and To Kill A Mockingbird with me so that we can discuss them. So far she has declined :( haha)

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments I have the Amish of Lancaster County too. But I can't find it! lol Is there one of the others that you would like to read? Maybe we could read the Amish one another time.I will have to order or go to library as well for the others.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments Natalie wrote: "P.S. I have never done this before, so I am not really clear on how this works. Do we read the whole book and then discuss, or discuss after so many chapters? Please just let me know how we go a..."

Well different groups go about it differently. Some will discuss each week others will read the entire book and then discuss. Since its very small right now we can be informal. I was thinking take the month read and then discuss but if you prefer another way that's fine. The one book the author is part of this group.We may be able to ask him to lead discussion.

message 11: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments You said about reading a classic but your mom didn't want to. We could do Little Men (Great Stories)
. Louisa is from Germantown, PA. Let me know what you think.

message 12: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Wendy wrote: "You said about reading a classic but your mom didn't want to. We could do Little Men (Great Stories)
. Louisa is from Germantown, PA. Let me know what you think."

That sounds interesting, but I've never read Little Women!! Which one is by someone in the group? If we could get him to lead discussion, that would be a lot of fun :) I think it is one of the most amazing things ever to be able to discuss with an author what you took away from the story and what he/she was hoping the readers would get from it.

message 13: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments I haven't either lol I just happened to have picked up Little Men the other day. But we could start with Little women if you wanted to. Being Someone else is by J.R. Lindermuth.

message 14: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Wendy wrote: "I haven't either lol I just happened to have picked up Little Men the other day. But we could start with Little women if you wanted to. Being Someone else is by J.R. Lindermuth."

Either sounds good to me :) If we do Little Women, we could move on to Little Men after we finish it. Or we can go with Being Someone Else. Just let me know which you would like to do, and I will get started on getting a copy of it! I'm really excited for this!! :)

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments How about Little Women then if we like that August we could do Little Men and September Being Someone else?

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Sounds like a plan :)

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 181 comments Natalie wrote: "Sounds like a plan :)"

great!