The Malazan Fallen discussion

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
This topic is about House of Chains
Group Read - House of Chains > HoC - Chapter Twenty Four - NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
Chapter Twenty Four discussion thread.

message 2: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 2042 comments Mod
The battle lines are being drawn. Tomorrow expects to see the sand soaked in blood. But before then comes the night. Light fades, Dark comes, and Shadows dance. The shadow war of assassins begins.

First up – Korbolo Dom is the talon master.

The high headrest was carved in arcane symbols that L’oric recognized... ...Dominating the carvings was a stylized rendition of a raptor’s talons, outstretched, that hovered directly over the head of the seated Napan...

Leoman’s messengers appear to have been taken out by Korbolo’s talon (I’m assuming) and finally he sends Corabb to Sha’ik. An attempt is also made on his life but again his luck holds as the two crossbow bolts that hit him in the back hit his lance instead of his spine

And then he caught sight of his lance, dangling loose now from his back. There were two quarrels embedded in the shaft. Each had struck at a different angle, and the impact must have been nearly simultaneous, since the splits had bound against each other, halting the momentum of both quarrels.

That’s got to be Oponn right? Nobody’s that lucky.

The talon go after Heboric who rips the head off one and disembowels the other. Treach’s claws do come in handy in a fight. That doesn’t save him from three other assassins who plant 3 bolts him. Heboric’s would be killers are then interrupted by an unidentified man and woman and later joined by a third woman. I’m assuming these are Pearl, Lostara, and Apsalar. The short conversation between the assassins is interesting.

‘Begone, wraiths,’ a voice hissed from a half-dozen paces away.

I’m assuming assassins of shadow may appear as wraiths being able to flick in and out of shadows.

In the name of Hood, Hoarder of Souls, I banish you from this realm.’
A soft laugh answered the killer’s command. ‘Kneel before Hood, do you?

But we are in a Shadow warren now – not Hood’s warren

Alas, Hood’s out of his depth on this one.

So the Talon kneel before Hood. So Baudin had a prior connection to Hood before he was made Knight of High House Death.

And in the Light corner – L’oric confronts Korbolo – to let him know he has been demoted and replaced. But it’s too late – Korbolo is already playing his hand, and L’oric gets stabbed in the back – literally. L’oric’s magic protects him but he stays down – But he lets Greyfrog loose

‘Ominous. An invitation from my brother.’
‘Is L’oric in trouble?’
‘There is darkness this night, yet the Mother’s face is turned away. What comes cannot be chained. Warning. Caution. Remain here, lovely child. Mybrother can come to no further harm, but my path is made clear. Glee. I shall eat humans this night.’

And it seems Tavore is not as outnumbered as we thought. The spirits of Raraku that lie in the layers of the desert’s memory have sided with her. It seems that they are none to happy with the whirlwind goddess leeching off them to possess and power the shadow fragment that sits on top like a parasite.

‘The warren,’ Nil replied. ‘She would claim this fragment, and settle it upon this land like a parasite. Roots of shadow, slipping down to draw sustenance, to feed on the land’s memories.’
‘And the spirits will not have it,’ Nether whispered.

From that conversation, Tavore has deduced this for herself, which explains why she has refused to get too deep into strategy with her commanders until now

Leoman’s Shaman reports

‘Armies!’ the old man shrieked, tugging at his nose as if it had just arrived on his face.
Leoman scowled. ‘Aye, we can see those too, you damned fakir—’
‘No! More armies!’

Who Tavore intends to put to good use

Return to your legion, Fist. Convey to your officers, please, the following. Units may appear during the battle on the morrow which you will not recognize. They may seek orders, and you are to give them as if they were under your command.’

And to top it all off Karsa rides into town. He’s spotted by the four Liosan who wisely stay out of his way. Karsa would probably kill them but...

He had seen them long before they had seen him, and had smiled at their cautious retreat from his path.
Well enough, there were enemies aplenty awaiting him in the oasis, and no night lasted for ever.

In other words – so many to kill and he intends to get it all over and done tonight.

Time to Rock’n’Roll!

message 3: by Lee, High Priest of Shadow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) | 1508 comments Mod
That is now three times Corabb has defied death.
I completely forgot about Dom being head of the Talon. I was surprised when I read Tavore mentioning that. We need the Talon operated externally and were dancers and the Claw operated within Malaz and were Surlys. But the fact that Tavore knew he was the head was very interesting. We know she used the talon to try and protect Felisin (baudin), but how much does she know? Does Laseen know Dom is Talon?

Big spoiler warning here (view spoiler)

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments Korbolo Dom definitely wasn't someone I was expecting to be head of the Talon. It doesn't terribly surprise me that they're associated with Hood, since so much of the Malazan Empire seems to be.

The epigraph about Eres'al, together with last chapter's information about Eres, is really fascinating. I'm not clear on exactly how the Eres and Eres'al are connected, but the Eres'al are older than the gods, and it sounds to me like they could be the land spirits we've heard about before. I wonder if Burn could be a sort of super-Eres'al, a spirit attached to the whole planet the way they're attached to particular places.

message 5: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvio wrote: "I'm not clear on exactly how the Eres and Eres'al are connected,"

I took Eres and Eres'al to be interchangeable. Erikson likes using different variations of names. He would probably have come across variants of the same name a lot in his work and study in archaeology and anthropology.

I wonder if Burn could be a sort of super-Eres'al, a spirit attached to the whole planet the way they're attached to particular places.

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. But it makes a lot of sense so far.

message 6: by Rob, Quick Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 1054 comments Mod
David Sven wrote: "Leoman’s messengers appear to have been taken out by Korbolo’s talon (I’m assuming) and finally he sends Corabb to Sha’ik. An attempt is also made on his life but again his luck holds as the two crossbow bolts that hit him in the back hit his lance instead of his spine

That’s got to be Oponn right? Nobody’s that lucky."

If Oponn isn't interfering for some reason, I think I might be very annoyed. This is the third lucky escape from death he's had now.

---------------------------------------

I found it interesting that Pearl/Lostara showed up to save Heboric. I took it as simply Pearl itching to kill some Talons? That scene confused me though with all the vague description the conversation was hard to follow and I wasn't sure if that was one of the Talons talking, or if Apsalar had showed up.

Kalam is looking like a slacker for Team Cortillion.

---------------------------------------

I hadn't really speculated on who the Talonmaster was, but Korbolo Dom didn't really surprise me. I must have missed that Tavore knew it though.

I also found it interesting that they seem to worship Hood. Not surprising though.

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments Treach seems to choose quite a special profile of people to represent him.
Gruntle in the last book was quite reluctant, and now they describe Heboric as 'the reluctant destriant'.

very different than Fener!

message 8: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

Perhaps he's looking for servants who are more independent minded or maybe who won't be tamed, even by a god.

Hanne (hanne2) | 228 comments hmm. not convinced. wouldn't a God want to control his minions at least to some degree?

message 10: by David Sven, Mortal Sword..Meow (new) - rated it 5 stars

That'[s true - but he doesn't seem too interested in controlling them absolutely.

message 11: by Lori (last edited Jul 01, 2013 02:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori But he finds men that are in tune with the beast in them. And he seems to prefer men who have an inner core of morality and not corruptible. I like that.

Silvio Curtis | 403 comments I'd been going with what I think was Heboric's assessment, that Treach is just too arrogant to care whether his tools are willing or not. But now I think about it, it's true what Lori says, that his servants have a lot of integrity, and it's not like everyone has integrity in this series.

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Ha I like that too, a true cat that knows who is really king!

message 14: by Dara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 210 comments I have no idea how this battle is going to play out and I kind of like it. From previous discussion, I kind of though Korbolo was the Talon Master. I don't like his much but his name is fun to say. Anyway, on to the clash of forces.

DangerBin | 64 comments Corabb the Unkillable rides again!