Shut Up & Read discussion

A Note of Madness (Flynn Laukonen, #1)
This topic is about A Note of Madness
Archives > A Note of Madness by Tabitha Suzuma

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) J.A. and I will be starting this one soon. Anyone want to join in?

message 2: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) When do you want to start? What kind of pace do you want to use? :)
I am so excited to read this.

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments I can start reading tomorrow, even today if you want. I planned to download it from Amazon.

Not sure on the pace, let me know what you are thinking.

message 4: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) It is 14 chapters, plus a prologue and an epilogue. I am in 2 other buddy reads this week (they all come at once!), so not too quick. Maybe 3 chapters a day? Monday through Friday?
Feel free to counter. :) It might be so good we can't hold back. :)

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments Sure. 3 chapters a day sounds good to me. Starting tomorrow?

message 6: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) K :)

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments I made it through the prologue and first 2 chapters.

message 8: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) Me too. Sorry, when I got home last night I was really wiped so I didn't post.
What are you thinking so far?

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments Very interesting description of slow cycling bipolar. The prologue seemed unnecessary.

Well written.

message 10: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I thought the prologue was unnecessary too. I think, had I not known what the book was about going into it, I would have preferred to be drawn through it with Jenna and Harry, guessing.

I think she's done a pretty good job of describing it, although I think she piled symptoms on. It's not always so drastic from my understanding, but maybe she wanted readers to easily identify that THIS is a problem.

I read an interview recently where she talked about her family and about her love of music and her debut novel (this one). Her brother is a concert pianist and her favorite piece is that R--- 3 that Flynn keeps going on about.

message 11: by J.A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments As far as I can tell so far anyway she went fairly textbook with the symptoms. Almost too much so to be honest. Like she read through the symptom list and a case study in the DSM. Then replicated it in fiction form.

My brother in law is bipolar, and it can be highly disturbing to observe. But it also varies widely in severity and nature. With him, the manic stages are usually related to him being able to do anything. One of his episodes convinced him to fly to Hawaii for a "job" at a national lab that never existed. He didn't have the money to fly home.

The manic attacks are presented in an almost TOO positive light, but it is still early on. They tend to eventually devolve into Self-destructive and damaging extremes.

message 12: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) My mother in law is also bipolar, and you've certainly hit upon what I was trying to say. I finished today's section, which was less interesting than yesterday's, I think. But, as often happens, Flynn was misdiagnosed. So that should be interesting as it develops.

message 13: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) My mother in law is also bipolar, and you've certainly hit upon what I was trying to say. I finished today's section, which was less interesting than yesterday's, I think. But, as often happens, Flynn was misdiagnosed. So that should be interesting as it develops.

message 14: by J.A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments Yeah the diagnosis is wrong, not a surprise. Again that prologue really shouldn't be there, let the reader discover the truth with the characters.

We know because it was in the description, also a mistake. But still interesting.

message 15: by J.A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments The depression is a little off this time as well. He is too aware that it is irrational. Depressed patients find some real life thing to latch onto to be upset about. Yes it is crushing but you tend to rationalize it. My life sucks, I suck, etc...and that is why I am upset.

She describes it as just having no real life cause, which may be the truth but not the experience.

message 16: by Lys (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lys (lysrowan) I don't know why my phone double posted. But yes: agree and agree.

message 17: by J.A. (last edited Jun 12, 2013 12:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments Odd next couple of chapters, it almost seems like an anxiety disorder now.

Fear is the motivating factor, not sadness.

Thought maybe it was a drug induced thing but he dropped the anti depressants.

message 18: by J.A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments See you finished it. So I guess I'll just finish up real quick.

The story is good even if the mental illness is a little mixed up!

message 19: by J.A. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.A. Kenney (jennyakenney) | 86 comments Okay finished up. The symptoms were a little inconsistent and not all if them are common in bipolar.

But the story was well written and interesting with a nice little lesson built in.

So overall satisfying.