Random Ramblings discussion

Self-respect

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

Sarah (agentsd) | 11810 comments Mod
What does it mean to have self-respect? Can you learn to respect yourself? How?

Jocelyn (Ducky) (ducky113) | 2640 comments I honestly have no idea.

message 3: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

I suppose I have vague ideas, but I'm still learning and expanding the ideas in my mind. A friend of mine has very basic ideas, like self-respect being respecting yourself enough to wash yourself daily and nourish yourself and all that, but I tend to think there's more to say about self-respect on an emotional level. Making sure your relationships are healthy, not letting the opinions of others be the sole way you judge yourself, taking care of your needs, even if you have to put them above the needs of others sometimes, etc.

Jocelyn (Ducky) (ducky113) | 2640 comments Yeah, it's sort of about being on good terms with yourself: not lying to yourself, knowing that you are you and that is special, not letting people drag you down easily. Stuff like that.

message 5: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

The funny thing about that is I think a lot of times we don't know that we're lying to ourselves, because it's so subconscious, and of course we believe ourselves because sometimes it's the thing we trust most.

Jocelyn (Ducky) (ducky113) | 2640 comments That makes sense, I think. It makes sense that we wouldn't trust anyone but ourselves. We sort of know that we're real, and what we think is pretty powerful.

message 7: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

It's scary though, because that also means that we take our own word as law. So if we think we're great--that's that. But if we think we're awful, oftentimes we won't listen when people tell us otherwise.

Jocelyn (Ducky) (ducky113) | 2640 comments Agreed. You have to listen to others but believe in yourself.

message 9: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

Truer words have never been spoken!

message 10: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

Or, y'know, typed

message 11: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

But it's true that they haven't been spoken either

message 12: by Jocelyn (Ducky) (new)

Jocelyn (Ducky) (ducky113) | 2640 comments XD Thanks.

message 13: by Becky, AwesomeOne (new)

Becky (MissFooFoo) | 4249 comments Mod
I think self-respect is taking care of yourself, and loving yourself for who you are. Not putting yourself down. I'm not really sure though

message 14: by LiveLoveTumble (new)

LiveLoveTumble | 1534 comments Hm, I think it's sort of like treating yourself the way you would treat others (assuming you treat others well). You wouldn't tell other people they're ugly and mean and a horrible person, so you shouldn't tell yourself that either.

message 15: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

You both make good points!!

message 16: by ange (new)

ange (mitskis) I think it's like believing in yourself, and not always thinking negatively. Self-respect isn't always thinking about how bad you are, but it's not about ignoring the truth, either. I think it's about acknowledging the truth and listening to others without putting yourself down.

message 17: by Becky, AwesomeOne (new)

I'm just roughly trying to remember what a saying i once read was but i think it goes something like this

Don't think negatively about yourself. Imagine you are your best friend. Would you say stuff like that to them? No

message 18: by Sarah, The Random Nerd (new)

I think of it like, with someone I'm really close to, I'll tell them if they're doing something that isn't okay, but I can still love and respect them anyway. And I think having self-respect means the same thing.

message 19: by Fran (new)

Fran (franswims) | 3422 comments I think it's knowing that your opinion matters the most. Also, I think it's knowing what you're worth. Like, knowing that when your about to do something that you're being the best version of yourself and you know that it's worth your time and you'll enjoy doing it or get something out of it.

re·spect (r-spkt)
tr.v. re·spect·ed, re·spect·ing, re·spects
1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.
n.
1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See Synonyms at regard.
2. The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
4. respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
5. A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.

All of the above but having those things for yourself as well as other people.

message 20: by Becky, AwesomeOne (new)

That's a really good definition Frances!

I think it's respecting what you think and how you feel. So not bashing yourself up for feeling jealousy, or sadness. We all feel those emotions. It's normal and human.
I think also not also bashing yourself up for making one mistake. Teens now days feel as though everything's over and there's no point left when making (normally) a big mistake. We all make mistkaes though. It's human. By respecting that you've made a mistake and dealing with it in a mature way, this is self respect

message 21: by ange (new)

ange (mitskis) Yup, all you guys have really good points ^^

message 22: by Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (last edited Jun 11, 2013 06:47PM) (new)

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 4918 comments I wish I could actually say something insightful on this topic, but I get the feeling that I will ruin the serious-ness and say something completely ridiculous...

message 23: by ange (new)

ange (mitskis) THAT'S OKAY

message 24: by Becky, AwesomeOne (new)

SAY YOUR POINT JESS

message 25: by ange (new)

ange (mitskis) YUSH SAY IT

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 4918 comments I don't really have a point, I just was feeling kind of left out...

message 27: by ange (new)

ange (mitskis) DON'T BE
HAI :D WELCOME, EARTHLING

message 28: by Fran (new)

Fran (franswims) | 3422 comments Well, have some self-respect because you don't have to have a point with everything! Don't feel left out we love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 29: by ange (new)

ange (mitskis) Exactly!!